What's new

Cella 1kg

I really liked the shave I got from a Cella brick sample I used more than a year ago. I unfortunately have been far too spoiled by the triple milled mass market stuff that will never go bad. I have no reason to trouble myself with the potential spoilage of Cella, but hey if I had a shave buddy Hail Mary me a chunk I’d use it.

☺️

I love cella and prefer the red tub scent. Both are marvelous classic performers. A good cella lather is luxurious

...best solution for soaps that are not going to be used continuously...is to avoid fats (superfats) that go rancid quickly.
Indeed, especially with unstable fats like sweet almond oil (vs bitter/stable almond oil).

Interestingly, haven't had an issue with SMN Sapone alla Mandorla — which has unsaponified sweet almond oil and no preservative. But then again, it's hard-milled.

This post inspired me to use my near 200 gram chunk of cella brick as my next soap to 3017 being that I’m just about done with my current 3017 selection. A couple of months of nice shaves coming up for me.

All this Cella talk...makes me want to try one. They are pretty affordable here in Europe, about 6€ for red tube. No interest in brick right now. Have to try it some day, but I am on GRUME this month, maybe even in October.

M

Member 113878

Does the Col Conk almond soap compare in a good way to the Cella, please?

Does the Col Conk almond soap compare in a good way to the Cella, please?
They are totally different. Cella is a tallow-based soap and Conk is a glycerin soap. In terms of performance, Cella is excellent and Conk is just decent. Some people use Conk as a pre-shave and lather up with their better soaps.

Last edited:
M

Member 113878

Ok, thanks.
I got some Cella in the past (the red tub, but also the green one) but didn't really like the scent.
It was kind of synthetic cologne-like.
Maybe I'll try the DR Harris or TOBS.
I see Cyril R. Salter has an almond cream too.
Maybe it's worth a try too?

Ok, thanks.
I got some Cella in the past (the red tub, but also the green one) but didn't really like the scent.
It was kind of synthetic cologne-like.
Maybe I'll try the DR Harris or TOBS.
I see Cyril R. Salter has an almond cream too.
Maybe it's worth a try too?
I think the DR Harris Almond would be the one I would pick personally as a good performing soap. The Almond scent is quite subdued, which may be a plus or a minus depending on what you like.

The Cella red tub scent is the same chemical used for imitation almond scent in cookies, cakes, etc. (benzaldehyde). It becomes a lot less strong if you leave the Cella tub open to the air for a week or so.

I really like Cella. The performance is close to the good artisan soaps IMO and a lot cheaper. I gave around 200g of my brick away and am down to about 300g left. I tend to put a chunk into an old B&M container and use it up, then go on to something else for a bit. That way I use Cella for about a month at a time and come back to it again after a while. I feel like I've got a good basis for an opinion on Cella now and it really does hold its own against some pretty good soaps.

M

Member 113878

I think the DR Harris Almond would be the one I would pick personally as a good performing soap. The Almond scent is quite subdued, which may be a plus or a minus depending on what you like.
Thanks for your input, much appreciated!
I really like Cella. The performance is close to the good artisan soaps IMO and a lot cheaper. I gave around 200g of my brick away and am down to about 300g left.
I understand that the soap and the cream seem somewhat different.
Too bad the soap is only sold as 1kg brick.

I understand that the soap and the cream seem somewhat different.
Too bad the soap is only sold as 1kg brick.
If you mean the small red container, I think there's little if any difference between that and the kilo. I've tried both and they both worked very well. If there's any difference between the two, I couldn't discern it.

The Cella red tub scent is the same chemical used for imitation almond scent in cookies, cakes, etc. (benzaldehyde). It becomes a lot less strong if you leave the Cella tub open to the air for a week or so.
Not only is the scent of D.R. Harris Almond more subdued, it does not smell like amaretto. D. R. Harris has what is described as a quinine smell. I quite like it.

M

Member 113878

Thanks, although I don’t know what quinine actually smells.
Does it smell similar to Pinaud’s Eau de Quinine?

Thanks, although I don’t know what quinine actually smells.
Does it smell similar to Pinaud’s Eau de Quinine?
DR Harris Almond is supposed to be a cologne type scent based on the almond blossom mixed with some spicy and somewhat bitter notes. It is not a marzipan type scent. It is a mild soapy scent that will not clash with whatever aftershave scent you use.

Maybe I wrong, but I believe there is a difference between the brick Cella (Extra Extra Purissima) and the tub Cella (All'Olio Di Mandorla). I find the EEP to have less of a sweet almond candy smell. I also find the quality of the lather, and more importantly post shave, just a bit better. Not to say that the AODM is not a great soap, I just prefer the EEP for those reasons.
And yes, if the question is about to be asked, I find the EEP as good or better than every other classic Almond Italian Shaving Soap (including ABC) with the exception of Boellis Panama 1924, which I give a very, VERY slight edge over Cella. However, if you are comparing value, the Cella even comes out on top of BP.

Top Bottom