What's new

Cell rot

R

romsitsa

Hello!

I suspect the scales of this Dorko are gassing.
The rust was not terrible (there was a much smaller spot on the other side) and I already removed and cleaned the blade, but feel the urge to experiment with the scales.
First step, I lock away the scales with a carbon steel knife blade and check whether something happens.
Till then, did anyone ever tried any kind of repair on gassing scales? Did it work/prevent further damage?

Ty.

dffdd.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Once the plastic begins to break down, there’s no stopping it. And it can rust other razors stored with it.

I have a friend with a green-scaled Otto Deutsch Hans that’s gassing - one of the particularly notorious razor scales for cell rot. He loves the scales so much that he stores the razor open and away from other razors, lol.

Legion

Staff member
Yeah, they are a problem that is not going to improve. It’s a shame, because they are cool looking scales.

Yea, no cure. It seems that the most unique, beautiful scales of the day are the most likely to kick off.

I once saw a razor kicking off in a display case at an Antique store. I advised the store manager what it was and how dangerous it was.

I returned to the store a couple months later that summer and everything in that glass case that was metal, knives, lighters, other razors and jewelry was coated in a fine coat of orange rust.

Manager said he advised the owner, but he said it would be ok, and did not remove the razor, cell rot had completely eaten the blade.

Looks like you might save the razor as the edge has not been attacked.

Many years ago I brought home a nice Robert Klaas razor. It was my first NOS razor and the first I made shave ready using Grandpa's ancient stones.
I kept it safely in a bathroom drawer, and didn't even open up[ the box for several years. All that time the celluloid scales were breaking down. All that remained was the rusty blade spine and a pile of rust that poured out of the box - a real heartbreaker.

I have a old solingen razor with imitation tortoise scales (I know the problem is more acute in these cases). The razor has been in its box for a while, and I noticed some oxidation on it.

ox.jpg

The fact that it is stainless may provide a durability I suppose. I want to ask are these “cracks” in the pictures the beginning of rot.

cr2.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Could be. Lock the razor in a sealed box up against some sacrificial high carbon steel and see what happens. If the razor is stainless you should get some results back before much more damage is done to the blade.

I had cell rot once on scale that were white and pristine looking. Typically the most likely candidates are the faux-tortoise, but as proven by my incident, you might get bad surprises.

I had a Le Grelot with imitation tortoise (beautiful) scales that were gassing. @Steve56 is correct in that they will rust other razors in the box. I had the Le Grelot in a box with some beaters that needed work, and those next to the Le Grelot also began to rust. I had to get rid of those scales.

So that is why. Good to know, this razor was bought new, and was never used.
Screenshot_2023-02-03-17-56-29-728_com.miui.gallery.jpg

IMG_20230203_175647.jpg

Can the blade be protected with oil. When not in use?

So that is why. Good to know, this razor was bought new, and was never used.
View attachment 1599538

View attachment 1599540
Can the blade be protected with oil. When not in use?
I don't know much about Razolution, other than it is an inexpensive razor. Amazon does not call out any specifications on the steel, nor do they say who the maker is. I suspect it is of Pakistan or China origin. A quality maker would have packed this razor with VCI papaer or some dessicant to prevent pitting while in storage or transportation.

I don't know much about Razolution, other than it is an inexpensive razor. Amazon does not call out any specifications on the steel, nor do they say who the maker is. I suspect it is of Pakistan or China origin. A quality maker would have packed this razor with VCI papaer or some dessicant to prevent pitting while in storage or transportation.
Solingen Germany, not Chinese it was around 100€
IMG_20230203_195238.jpg

Screenshot_2023-02-03-19-55-25-586_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2023-02-03-19-55-19-446_com.android.chrome.jpg

It had some paper, probably I tossed it.
So then it's moisture from laying 8 years in bathroom.

Legion

Staff member
Still, I can tell you with near 100% certainty, those scales are not celluloid. You are safe from cell rot. Yes, the oxidisation is likely from being stored in the bathroom. Don't do that. You are actually lucky it isn't a lot worse.
Thnx, good to know

Top Bottom