What's new

Cell Rot

I know that with cell rot it is the celluloid scales rotting which puts off a gas that is harmful to the steel, but the question that i have is...

If you found an old roll of razors that had 2+ double ducks in full scale rot in it, would that roll be safe to use razors in after an appropriate airing out? would it have to be washed some how? or are there any special considerations to keep in mind?

I didn't purchase any of the rotten or broken razors, but I haggled the roll and 4 razors, and once i got home it has a weird pattern of dark spots in it that might be from the material. I can't say if it's from gas leaking through, or if it's because the material held onto the gas.

PS. i know pictures are helpful, and i'll get some once i'm home. wife and i are leaving for a parade with the family so once i get back I'll get pictures

That's a good question I have never thought about it, but I would think if the scales was gassing off I would have thought it would stay in the material. With that I would not take the risk in case it started others to do the same, but that's just my view and would be interesting to find out on others views on it....

I can't answer your question but I have a recent experience with cell rot and how fast it can happen that I would like to share.

A few months ago I found an Otto Deutsch that had some plastic scales on it that were in pretty bad shape. The blade looked great and it was too cheap to pass up so I bought it with the intention to rescale it when I found some nice scales.

About 2 weeks ago I bought a razor at an antique shop and laying next to it were some green Otto Deutsch scales with a very rusty blade in it. The lady told me I could have it if I wanted it.

I took it home, pulled the old blade out, cleaned them up abit. They really weren't in as good a shape as I thought they were but they were free and I thought they would be good enough for my blade until I found something better.

I knew about cell rot but wasn't sure how fast it happened so I put it on the shelf so I could watch it. Well, somehow it got in a drawer full of other razors and forgotten.

Today, I noticed it in the drawer, I pulled it out and looked at it. At first it looked okay but it felt a little ruff so I laid it on the bench under a brighter light.

Here's a picture of it just after I put the scales on.
20190507_191030.jpg

Here it is after 2 weeks along with the original blade.
20190518_123117.jpg

The blade cleaned up well with some 2000 grit sandpaper and Flitz. I went through the other razors in the drawer but didn't see any signs of rust. I went ahead and cleaned and polished them just in case. Thankfully the other scales were horn or plastic.

A big lesson learned.

I can't answer your question but I have a recent experience with cell rot and how fast it can happen that I would like to share.

A few months ago I found an Otto Deutsch that had some plastic scales on it that were in pretty bad shape. The blade looked great and it was too cheap to pass up so I bought it with the intention to rescale it when I found some nice scales.

About 2 weeks ago I bought a razor at an antique shop and laying next to it were some green Otto Deutsch scales with a very rusty blade in it. The lady told me I could have it if I wanted it.

I took it home, pulled the old blade out, cleaned them up abit. They really weren't in as good a shape as I thought they were but they were free and I thought they would be good enough for my blade until I found something better.

I knew about cell rot but wasn't sure how fast it happened so I put it on the shelf so I could watch it. Well, somehow it got in a drawer full of other razors and forgotten.

Today, I noticed it in the drawer, I pulled it out and looked at it. At first it looked okay but it felt a little ruff so I laid it on the bench under a brighter light.

Here's a picture of it just after I put the scales on.
View attachment 981770

Here it is after 2 weeks along with the original blade.
View attachment 981771

The blade cleaned up well with some 2000 grit sandpaper and Flitz. I went through the other razors in the drawer but didn't see any signs of rust. I went ahead and cleaned and polished them just in case. Thankfully the other scales were horn or plastic.

A big lesson learned.

Mike I have the same razor with the same jade green scales but ny scales are still ok

20190223_185253.jpg

All those green oth scales go at some point. Just like the cracked ice ducks, the silver glittery celluloid scales some american razors had, or those light colored bartmann scales. One of the real usual suspects.

I can't imaging the corrosive lingering in the material - but it could be possible and it might depend on the material the roll is made of. I would test with a few nails placed in and around the area.
If I remember correctly, the corrosive formed by the celluloid outgassing is nitric acid - you can neutralize it with a baking soda wash. If the roll is fabric, that is proabably an easy treatment to manage with a little spritz bottle. If it is leather - then it might require some extra effort but it would still be manageable. I use sodium bicarb to neturalize various strengths of HCL when I am testing stones, it's easy to do and it works flawlessly. Nothing coming off that roll is going to be nearly as strong as what I'm using so I doubt that you would even need gloves.

I can't imaging the corrosive lingering in the material - but it could be possible and it might depend on the material the roll is made of. I would test with a few nails placed in and around the area.
If I remember correctly, the corrosive formed by the celluloid outgassing is nitric acid - you can neutralize it with a baking soda wash. If the roll is fabric, that is proabably an easy treatment to manage with a little spritz bottle. If it is leather - then it might require some extra effort but it would still be manageable. I use sodium bicarb to neturalize various strengths of HCL when I am testing stones, it's easy to do and it works flawlessly. Nothing coming off that roll is going to be nearly as strong as what I'm using so I doubt that you would even need gloves.
Never heard it was nitric acid before, I just knew it was corrosive. Good to know.

I would be more concerned about the residual nitric acid triggering cell rot (assuming it can do that) in good scales. If baking soda neutralizes it then it shouldn't be a problem.

It is unfortunate the most beautiful celluloid scales are the most prone to gassing off.

Top Bottom