What's new

Cell Phone Message Text Support

I am sure this thread post could be read as simply venting, but has anyone else had the experience of their cell phone or the service provider or whatever, with out the owner's involvement, "muting" a bunch of if not all text threads or folks sending messages or whatever? If so , did you figure out any solution? Or barring that, did you figure out a way of unmuting all messages, threads, individuals, or whatever, all at once?

I am on Verizon and have a Samsung Galaxy s10. There is a fair amount on the internet about this going back to 2018 or so, but I do not see that anyone came up with a solution. Lots of folks being advised to do lots of things, and lots of folks coming back saying no matter what they did, the problem keeps recurring. Also, a bunch of posts suggesting the technical support people stop paying lip service to those writing in with the problem and figure out a solution or admit that it is a problem lots of folks have and they do not have a clue as to an effective solution.

The only unmute process I can find is item by item, which seems like massive waste of time for a repeating problem, and, all of these things seem to get muted all at once, so why is there not a way to unmute all at once?

Really, I would like my cell phone to alert me when I have an important text from, say, my family, or a doctor, or someone that is supposed to meet me who is running late or lost!

I have kept all my cell phones, both work (now retired) and home, on silent mode for 20 years. I can't remember ever missing an important call. I admit that it's probably because no one ever expects me to answer and it's ok.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Does the problem only happen for SMS/MMS messages?

Assuming yes, does the problem still happen if you use a different SMS app?

There's a bunch of 3rd party SMS textng apps. For example, if you're using the default Samsung Messages, try Google Messages, and see if the problem goes away.

A few of the messaging apps don't play/display notifications if you are in the app while the message is received. Yeah, I think that is absolutely idiotic, but they probably aren't going to change it (it's a feature not a bug). If you think that might be your issue try a different app.

Does the problem only happen for SMS/MMS messages?

Assuming yes, does the problem still happen if you use a different SMS app?

There's a bunch of 3rd party SMS textng apps. For example, if you're using the default Samsung Messages, try Google Messages, and see if the problem goes away.

A few of the messaging apps don't play/display notifications if you are in the app while the message is received. Yeah, I think that is absolutely idiotic, but they probably aren't going to change it (it's a feature not a bug). If you think that might be your issue try a different app.
Excellent advice. I do not know whether it happens with other apps. I think just SMS messages. Much appreciated. I will try another app.

Top Bottom