What's new

Celebrate tomato season with these recipes

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I read & related to this story about tomatoes (my mother bequeathed to me her recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes), and I thought to share it with you.

By Ryan Shepard - Tennessean. - 21 July 21

“Here is a confession: I didn’t fall in love with tomatoes until I moved to the South. Growing up in California, [I grew up in Michigan] my family just wasn’t that into them. Sure we’d have a few tiny ones thrown into salads or a thick slice on a burger but that was the extent of it.

When I moved to Georgia in the spring of 2017, I spent a lot of time going to farmers markets. I loved strolling leisurely between different vendors and seeing what produce my newly adopted state had to offer.

🍅 Almost immediately, I started noticing absurdly long lines of food stands that had all these richly hued tomatoes [we love beefsteak & green] I figured there had to be something to the hype, so I purchased a handful of them and haven’t looked back since.

$The Southern States.jpg Now I understand that, from the early hot days of summer through the first brisk morning in fall, tomato season reigns supreme down South. [you got that right]

I’ve come to look forward to this time of year and gleefully count myself among the throngs of people waiting in line to score bagful at farmers markets “.

Read More: Celebrate tomato season with these delicious recipes - https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/american-south/2021/07/21/summer-tomato-recipes-fried-green-tomatoes-blt-cucumber-salad/7967938002/

$Fried Green Tomatoes.jpg "Sometimes in the deepest moments, there are no words. There is only [tomatoes]". Roy Choi

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Tomatoe Fans:
You know...sometimes the simplest of ingredients makes the best salad;

Diced Beef Steak Tomatoes
Sliced Vidalias Onions
Basic Vinaigrette (your choice of spice)
Mixed Fresh Greens of your choice
Rolled Anchovies & Capers (from the tin)
Black & Green Greek Marinated Olives
Sea Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)

1627571083396.png
1627571112830.png
"A world without tomatoes is like a string quartet without violins". Laurie Colwin

Last edited:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I'm so jealous of those that can grow tomatoes. I gave up after years of trying, always blight and very low yields. Thank goodness for farmers markets! I can't deal with grocery store 'maters.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Tomatoe Fans:
You know...sometimes the simplest of ingredients makes the best salad;

Diced Beef Steak Tomatoes
Sliced Vidalias Onions
Basic Vinaigrette (your choice of spice)
Mixed Fresh Greens of your choice
Rolled Anchovies & Capers (from the tin)
Black & Green Greek Marinated Olives
Sea Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)

View attachment 1303764 View attachment 1303765"A world without tomatoes is like a string quartet without violins". Laurie Colwin
You’re talking to the choir.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm so jealous of those that can grow tomatoes. I gave up after years of trying, always blight and very low yields. Thank goodness for farmers markets! I can't deal with grocery store 'maters.
Don’t give up. get you some heirloom seeds and a small trellis to hang them from. Spray with copper every other day.

Top Bottom