What's new

Cedar furnitureman shaving soap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know those people from the bay(Quinton and Layne).They always have great razors and good prices,but what I didnt know is that they made their own shaving soap.
I have been trying that soap for the last two days and its just the best soap that I have tried.I love Tabac,La Toja shaving stick,Kent soap and many others(those 3 being my favorites) but this one is just OUTSTANDING.I used my beloved Kent BK8.I made a really good lather,but I cant explain how THICK was the lather.It had a great cushion and felt so creamy on my face.Its so moisturizing that I thought that I wasn't shaving at all!I was using also my Merkur HD and a BIC blade on its second shave and what I felt it was like I was passing a knife on ice!!!The smell is quiet pleasant,old style and clean and I really like it.
I will make a review about this soap with pics.If you have the chance to get one of those soaps DONT HESITATE IT! go to the bay,get one and enjoy one of the most GREAT soaps ever made.
Greetings to all!

Last edited:
Ha. I saw their soap auction the other day and I didn't pay any attention to the soap, I just looked at everything in the picture and the long write up about how you'd have to be stupid to think you'd get everything pictured for the posted price. (honestly, I think they've got too much stuff pictured and it makes for a confusing listing)
Seriously, it's good to know that this is a fine product from a reputable dealer, because I wouldn't have given the auction a second look...

Ha. I saw their soap auction the other day and I didn't pay any attention to the soap, I just looked at everything in the picture and the long write up about how you'd have to be stupid to think you'd get everything pictured for the posted price. (honestly, I think they've got too much stuff pictured and it makes for a confusing listing)
Seriously, it's good to know that this is a fine product from a reputable dealer, because I wouldn't have given the auction a second look...

Its true,the same happened to me.The pic shows to much stuff(razor,mug)and its hard to pay attention to the soap.Fortunately the soap is good enough to overshadow the other stuff.:biggrin:

While they mention many great things about their soaps, they seem to leave out a few details. How would you describe the scent, since they say that it does smell like any of the other stuff. How large would you say the puck is? 3 oz, 4 oz, etc? Finally, have you ever tried to get an ingredients list from them? They say that they use "secret" ingredients. Who knows what they are? Anyways, it would just be interesting to find some of that stuff out for curiousity. Thanks for showing me something else I don't need to buy :001_rolle

While they mention many great things about their soaps, they seem to leave out a few details. How would you describe the scent, since they say that it does smell like any of the other stuff. How large would you say the puck is? 3 oz, 4 oz, etc? Finally, have you ever tried to get an ingredients list from them? They say that they use "secret" ingredients. Who knows what they are?

That's what I'd like to know. What does it smell like? Are EOs used or FOs?

Also, since olive oil is mentioned as one of the primary ingredients I'm very skeptical. Every olive oil-based shaving soap I've used to date has performed abysmally in the lather dept.

That's what I'd like to know. What does it smell like? Are EOs used or FOs?

Also, since olive oil is mentioned as one of the primary ingredients I'm very skeptical. Every olive oil-based shaving soap I've used to date has performed abysmally in the lather dept.

I had the same experience with olive oil based soaps,but not with this one.
The scent is a clean one,reminds me the Floid shaving cream scent,but If you havent tried that one hard to imagine.About the ingreadients you can ask them,Im sure they will tell you,but I coulndt care less about them.It works for me,and for I have been discovering this evening,to other people too.

I have been using their soap. I even mentioned it in my Newbie post. After I used up the sample they gave me when I bought one of their razors I bought a bar for me and one for my son. I find it lathers very well and easily loads the brush up for four passes or more. It gives me a great shave and I even stopped using my pre-shave oil. I have some Penhaligon English Fern coming in later this week so I'll have a better idea how it compares. I also think Laney and Quinton are great.

Len

The soaps are back available on the bay...for 6.50 bucks is the best bargain ever.Shaved this morning with it and Im totally in love with it!

I have bought razors from Cedarfurnitureman before. They are top-notch sellers. T, thank you for telling me about the soap in the chat room last night. I will for sure buy some and give it a go!

DL

I bought the soap and have been using it the past 3 or 4 shaves. It seems to lather suffieciently for at least 3 passes. The scent is very subtle, doesn't overpower other scents you might add. I would like to know what the ingredients are, too. But it does work.

You guys = buncha enablers
Me = weak

Bought some a few mins. ago. :blushing: Let's see if it lives up to the hype.

FWIW, I did ask about the ingredients. I got an email back saying basically that they don't know anything about soapmaking, they're just following their Grandmother's recipe (i.e., phonetic soapmaking :wink:). But hey, if it works, it works. They did tell me that they use Marigold (Calendula) flower oil in the mix & that the soap won't lather well without it. And Calendula is well known for its skin-healing properties (among others).

Me = weak

FWIW, I did ask about the ingredients. I got an email back saying basically that they don't know anything about soapmaking, they're just following their Grandmother's recipe (i.e., phonetic soapmaking :wink:). But hey, if it works, it works. They did tell me that they use Marigold (Calendula) flower oil in the mix & that the soap won't lather well without it. And Calendula is well known for its skin-healing properties (among others).

you are not gonna regret it..please send me your feedback when you try it!

I think that it would be very smart not to buy it if there's a great deal of concern over a reluctance of the makers to reveal the ingredients.

Just as a suggestion, maybe one doesn't have to have the whole recipe. If there's one ingredient that is taboo to a potential buyer, then the potential buyer with the problem should just ask them, does it have X ingredient in it? They surely will say yes or no, and if the answer was yes, then the former potential buyer can say, thanks anyway, but I'll pass.

I'm wanting to order myself one, because I don't care what it has in it. That's just me. The only reason I haven't bought it already is that I guess what the others have said about the soap being that good appears to be too good to be true, but my common sense and respect for my fellow members here tells me I have no reason whatsoever to doubt that the reports that it is so darn good are absolutely 100% true.

You know, as I'm writing this, if I buy it and it's just mediocre or lousy, I can either take a shower with it, give it away, or send it back for a refund.

Every time I think of this I think someone has made cedar scented soap. That would be so awesome, but the irritation it would cause the face would not be so awesome...

If this maker is truly just following Grandma's recipe, they are lucky they have Grandma's recipie. I wish I had a family soap recipe.

Re the ingredients, here's what the seller emailed me:

yes, we use a bottled oil fragrance, but without it the soap will not lather correctly. The oil doesn't smell until it is inthe soap mixture. Calendula flower oil is what it's called. We also use coconut oil to make it lather good. we use just a touch of olive oil. Not sure what it's for, but the recipe calls for it, so... Hope this helps. Thanks, Quinton

Me = weak

What? Soapmaking isn't a pinch of this and a dash of that. Is this a tallow soap? You have to know how to make soap to make a tallow soap. "Grandmother's recipe" has to have a list of items you put in to make the soap. Some folks are allergic to stuff and would like to know ahead of time what they might be slathering on their face.

Re the ingredients, here's what the seller emailed me:

yes, we use a bottled oil fragrance, but without it the soap will not lather correctly. The oil doesn't smell until it is inthe soap mixture. Calendula flower oil is what it's called. We also use coconut oil to make it lather good. we use just a touch of olive oil. Not sure what it's for, but the recipe calls for it, so... Hope this helps. Thanks, Quinton

Thanks Evbo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom