What's new

CBN first time use

D

dangerousrazor

I purchased 0.5 and 0.25 CBN paste from Gritomatic. It arrived at my house a couple of weeks ago. but 0.5 paste I received doesnt look ok. The oil solutant was detached from CBN and it spilled out of the container a bit.

so I contacted Gritomatic. Their customer service was superb, instantly answering my complaint and sending me one again.

So I received the new one. but it also has the same problem as the previous one, though a tiny bit better.

I decided to use it anyway. I dont want to look like a picky customer.

I applied 0.5 and 0.25 CBN on separate balsa wood and stropped my most reliable straight razor 20 times on each. After stropping it on my leather strop, I rushed to the bathroom and began to shave my sideburns.

I am very impressed with the smoothness CBN provides. I thought my straight razors were smooth enough but a razor stropped with CBN is on another level. I'm in love with CBN now. :)

If they stock 0.1 CBN paste, I will purchase it without hesitation for sure.

AD588658-6F9A-406A-A271-CA4A307F2ABA.jpeg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I don’t see them in stock, but Jende Industries advertises 0.1μ CBN emulsions on their website.

I don’t see them in stock, but Jende Industries advertises 0.1μ CBN emulsions on their website.

I have water based emulsion.

- After about a year or so, the CBN will coagulate and sink to the bottom. Whatever emulsion agent is used will lose effectiveness.
- I have one bought from about 7 years ago, and still works, after shaken well.
- It can be used as a final slurry on finisher. It will give a true perfectly mirror finish on the bevel. This can't be done with grease-base CBN since you shouldn't be putting grease on naturals.
- OTOH, it's hard to use water based stuff on buffing wheels. I would prefer grease for rotary applications.

Just something to think about.

Yes, CBN can separate, just mix it up or shake liquid. You do not need to strop on leather after CBN, you are going backwards in a strop progression.

Do not use a lot of pressure CBN is very aggressive, also do not apply a lot of CBN it is better to dilute paste to a liquid and apply sparingly. Sprays are much easier to apply. 3-4 sprays on a full-size hanging strop are plenty and will last for years if the strop is kept dust free. The strop will become contaminated, dust particles larger than the CBN will create scratches and make the strop useless for razors.

.1 um is very aggressive and will exfoliate skin and not many razors can support that edge for long. .25um is my go-to. If you do to many laps, you will thin your edge and cause micro chipping. Same for use on balsa.

I use CBN on a hanging paper strop, and on a leather paddle for Knives and tools. There is no need to apply to stones, just use it on a strop.

D

dangerousrazor

Yes, CBN can separate, just mix it up or shake liquid. You do not need to strop on leather after CBN, you are going backwards in a strop progression.

Do not use a lot of pressure CBN is very aggressive, also do not apply a lot of CBN it is better to dilute paste to a liquid and apply sparingly. Sprays are much easier to apply. 3-4 sprays on a full-size hanging strop are plenty and will last for years if the strop is kept dust free. The strop will become contaminated, dust particles larger than the CBN will create scratches and make the strop useless for razors.

.1 um is very aggressive and will exfoliate skin and not many razors can support that edge for long. .25um is my go-to. If you do to many laps, you will thin your edge and cause micro chipping. Same for use on balsa.

I use CBN on a hanging paper strop, and on a leather paddle for Knives and tools. There is no need to apply to stones, just use it on a strop.

Thanks for the advice. I've always thought there's not much effect of leather stropping after CBN strop.

I also have 1 micron, 0.5, 0.25, and 0.1 micron pastes coming. I will apply the 1 to 0.25 on leather strops and the 0.1 on a Jende industries nanocloth. I’m curious how my edges will be. I heard it is epic sharp and smooth.

Top Bottom