What's new

CBN .125 vs .10

Yikes, that looks like a saw.

Damnit... I just posted the best possible missive about this... It was epic. Then had a brain fart and dumped it by accident.

OK... it went something like this:

And yet it shaves well. One problem with microscope images is that they don't really say much about how the razor can shave although they can give a clue. The above picture, and the one below, are high magnification with contrasting light. Even new blades, like the one below, look rough. There is a coating on the new blade so it looks rounded. It really isn't.

The second shot below is a more backlit example. You can see the coating but look through it and you can see the edge is still fairly rough.

Like most things, it is all in how you handle it. If I were to back off on the magnification and show a more appealing light, they would both look smooth.

I like to do a high mag silouhette shot. It usually shows what is going to touch the skin and that is often a good telltale. However, it isn't perfect.

$guardImage4.jpg

$guardImage8.jpg

Last edited:
I read over my posts and I realize I'm coming off kinda strong. Magnification does have its uses. In the end, it still matters how it feels to the user and if it feels good, do it. <--- my attempt to get this back to the OP concerns.

Just to hog the thread more, here are two shots. The first is a silouhette of a razor that could shave but was uncomfortable. The second is of a razor (same razor only honed) that was pretty sharp and could easily give a BBS. As you can see, there is at least some evidence in the magnification that points to how the razor will perform.

Edit: Oh... and the blade was stropped on .5 diamond for finishing. I doubt it would look much better if I went to .25 or finer (which is kinda, sorta, to Serephim's point).

$kamibefore.jpg
$kamiafter1.jpg

Last edited:
And also the shots of the "saw blade" edge also go to my point: that "rough" finish is nowhere near the mirror smooth ultra awesomeness that 0.005um uber grit gives, and yet that "rough" edge shaved awesome. It shaved even better than the first use of that Feather blade (the original edge of which is ultra-ultra-sharp).

It is still my theory that the reason why guys ooh and why over coticle and JNat edges is simply because they are not ultra-refined beyond the realistic capacity of the steel's ability to maintain that cutting edge extreme geometry.

Can you take a scope pic of a piece if hair or something to give a sense of scale for your images?

Can you take a scope pic of a piece if hair or something to give a sense of scale for your images?

I have all the equipment put up but will take a picture of a hair next time it is out. Meanwhile, this one might help. It is a shot of a Guard blade wire (same magnification as the rest). I put just the top of the wire in focus because I felt it looked like an image of Kuato from Total Recall. A hair will probably be about this size... maybe a tad smaller...

$GuardImage10.jpg

Last edited:
To answer the original question, I doubt seriously if anyone could tell any difference in .100 and .125. I use ********* with .*** C*N spray and get a very nice shave, especially when I **** the **** immediately prior to shaving. Is it the ultimate? No such thing.............

Rich

** Edited by DRTB, LLC

So I have taken some of your advice and stropped with Chrome Oxide and then MAAS polish on a Nylon strop. The Chrome Ox removed about 30-40% of the bevel stria, the mass remove another 50%. The .05 and .125 CBN removed the rest. The shave is more comfortable and as keen. Perhaps it was, too big a jump and reverting to a quasi pyramid progression is the answer.

Kate, yes you may not be able to see it, you can feel it. Isn't that really what we are all after, the most comfortable and crisp shave?

Oh, and I have some .10 CBN in the mail.

Thanks

Last edited:
Top Bottom