What's new

Cavicide vs Barbicide for disinfecting DE razors?

As others have said…

Matt from Razor Emporium has a video on it. No dishwashing machine, no barbicide, just warm water, dish soap and scrub.

you eat in restaurants using forks thousands of others had eaten prior to you, and they don’t dip anything on cavicide , they simply wash with warm water and detergent. If it’s good for putting things in your mouth, it should be good for putting a razor onto your face
Saliva is different than blood though. Kitchen utensils don't break the skin. And I watched that Razor Emporium video. I have confidence in Matt's expertise regarding metal finishes of razors, but not so much his medical expertise.

A lot more authoritative information here. Safety razor maintenance - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Safety_razor_maintenance#What_About_Germs

Short wavelength ultraviolet radiation (UV-C) does indeed kill some microorganisms by disrupting their DNA, with sufficient intensity and time. It doesn't actually sterilize surfaces (bacterial endospores are up to 50 times more resistant than their vegetative state to high intensity UV-C), but it's reasonably good at disrupting the life cycle of many bacteria. Unfortunately (for disinfection purposes - fortunate for humans), over 95 percent of the Sun's UV radiation that actually makes it to the Earth's surface is the longer (less harmful) wavelength UV-A, with a smattering of slightly shorter wavelength UV-B. Almost no UV-C radiation (and very little UV-B) hits the surface because it's blocked by our friendly ozone layer. Without which, incidentally, we would fry. Ultraviolet radiation also doesn't penetrate opaque objects or shielded internal surfaces, or even glass (in the case of shorter wavelength UV-B/C - normal glass only blocks about 50 percent of UV-A, hence, sunburn through a window), so even if you did put your razor under a UV-C lamp, it wouldn't disinfect the internals. UV-A radiation is not harmless (think skin cancer), but if the planet's surface was bathed in UV-C radiation every day, the planet would be, well, disinfected. Including of humans.

Yes, your mother taught you wrong. No offense to Mom. :001_smile
I've heard in cars the windshield protects better than the side windows. Medical Mythbuster: Can You Get Sunburned Through a Car Window? - Reliant Medical Group - https://reliantmedicalgroup.org/blog/2019/04/03/medical-mythbuster-can-you-get-sunburned-through-a-car-window/

You're welcome! I think the word "warm" must be lost in translation :001_tongu, but yes, soap does cover (and wash off - it doesn't kill bacteria, it just sort of slides them off) a lot of sins. Just not nearly as many as high heat and quaternary amines. Our forefathers lived (at least past breeding age) just fine without washing their utensils or hands. Or razors. Their longevity and quality of life was a bit different, possibly attributable to some of the above, but in the Grand Scheme of things it eventually works out the same, and nobody gets out of here alive. :001_smile

Maw! Come here please. I wanna show you something.

Brother Scaramouche, is this topic controversial? What does this item below mean?

Open Your Blinds to Kill Germs (healthline.com)

Not really. I'm a Vanderbilt grad and actually know Bill Schaffner. What the article and attached references actually say (I used to teach my residents how to read scientific papers) is that sunlight is good for you. And it mostly is (vitamin D and all - we evolved in the light). And that microbe populations exposed to light are different than those which are not. So when you build buildings, don’t use glass that filters out short wavelength UV radiation, because it's inherently bacteriocidal (again, mostly UV-B, of which there is very little in sunlight reaching the Earth). UV-A is much less effective at denaturing microbes, but does some, and is also only partially blocked by normal glass. A very limited study, which also doesn't account for most other variables in a building that affect the micro-environment - ventilation, temperature, humidity, surface composition. A little clickbait in the article, but it essentially doesn't say anything different than discussed. So sunlight at sea level does inactivate some microbes, but certainly not enough to be considered an even modestly effective disinfectant (except above the stratosphere, where it works really well).

Correct, but a little disingenuous in the article, because even ordinary (untempered or unlaminated) glass will block almost all short wave (UV-B/C) radiation, which is more harmful than UV-A. On Earth, you only have to worry about UV-B. Laminated glass (normally your windshield, by law) however blocks almost all UV-A radiation, the major player in sunburn and skin cancer (essentially because there's more of it). So if you have acoustic glass in the rear (which is laminated), it will do a better job of blocking out UV-A (about 50 percent of which is transmitted through ordinary glass). Otherwise, per Mythbuster, use the sunscreen. Except the sunscreen that contains benzine :001_smile (current news).

Top Bottom