What's new

Cavicide vs Barbicide for disinfecting DE razors?

I had resolved to use Barbicide to disinfect any vintage razors. Then I came across this chart:

chart2021-07-15_23-31.png

I noticed Cavicide was listed as "intermediate level" and Barbicide only "low level." I did some research. Cavicide kills just about everything but your mother-in-law,

KillClaims2021-07-15_23-37.png

^ from CaviCide™ | Metrex - https://www.metrex.com/en-us/cavicide#kill

and in 3 minutes, as opposed to Barbicide's 10. One downside is Cavicide is used full-strength, so it would end up costing more. But there would be no concerns about getting the proper mix of Barbicide. And the biggest thing would be, whereas there is some debate on whether Barbicide should be used on razors (or is it more for combs?), it seems clear that Cavicide is meant for razors.

cavicide2021-07-15_23-28.png

^ from Cavicide Disinfectant | Recommended Use - https://www.qualitymedicalinc.com/cavicide_uses.html

For me, a big question is 'Would it damage the razor?' But even going by the 10 minute (Barbicide) vs 3 minute (Cavicide) soaking time comparison, Cavicide seems advantageous.

You guys have a ton more experience than me. What do you think?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
A little dish soap, hot water, and a toothbrush have worked for me all these years. Whatever floats your boat, I'm not very worried about catching something off a metal razor that probably hasn't been used since Reagan was in office.

What are the ingredients? Acids can damage many finishes.

A little dish soap, hot water, and a toothbrush have worked for me all these years. Whatever floats your boat, I'm not very worried about catching something off a metal razor that probably hasn't been used since Reagan was in office.

What are the ingredients? Acids can damage many finishes.

+1! Great advice from an expert!! :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Dedicated toothbrush, scrub w/hot water and dish soap.
Spray with Lysol disinfectant and let soak 10 minutes.
Another scrub with toothbrush and dish soap followed by a 10 minute soak in rubbing alcohol.
HIV free since vintage DE shaving for 32 years :)

Thanks guys. Cavicide sounded really good at first, but I've heard from a very knowledgeable friend regarding it, and he's says it's not a good (perhaps it's even a bad choice) choice for sanitizing razors. First of all, it does require a 10 minute soak, and it contains formaldehyde, which would require respiratory precautions to be taken. Then there are other environmental hazards.

Is it necessary to soak for it to disinfect? I've been spraying my DE blades with 70% alcohol before a shave out of a spray bottle hoping it will get rid of some bacteria and it seems to have reduced some redness.

Cavicide?

I thought that was for disinfecting caves… :cool:
(You never know what the previous resident bear may have left behind.)

Please do not take offence, but when I read to what lengths some people go (with their own razors) to kill any germs, microbes and what-have-you-not, I sometimes wonder how our ancestors managed to multiply so that we are here today, or how some people manage to cross the street, let alone camp in the wild.

But I’m only 68 years old and my failure to take disinfecting more serious may one day come back to haunt me.
(Anthrax, oooh no!!! Oh, I forgot, I don’t use horse hair brushes because they tend to tangle and shed.)
Or maybe the lack of disinfecting trained my body at an early age to develop a natural resistance.

Be that as it may, I’m still around…

As I said; please don’t take offence, it was not my intent to ridicule some people’s genuine desire to stay safe.

Just the musings of a wandering 68 year old mind.

B.

B.

Cavicide?

I thought that was for disinfecting caves… :cool:
(You never know what the previous resident bear may have left behind.)

Please do not take offence, but when I read to what lengths some people go (with their own razors) to kill any germs, microbes and what-have-you-not, I sometimes wonder how our ancestors managed to multiply so that we are here today, or how some people manage to cross the street, let alone camp in the wild.

But I’m only 68 years old and my failure to take disinfecting more serious may one day come back to haunt me.
(Anthrax, oooh no!!! Oh, I forgot, I don’t use horse hair brushes because they tend to tangle and shed.)
Or maybe the lack of disinfecting trained my body at an early age to develop a natural resistance.

Be that as it may, I’m still around…

As I said; please don’t take offence, it was not my intent to ridicule some people’s genuine desire to stay safe.

Just the musings of a wandering 68 year old mind.

B.

B.
No offense taken! Hey, I count on you guys to moderate my extremist tendencies!

Is it necessary to soak for it to disinfect? I've been spraying my DE blades with 70% alcohol before a shave out of a spray bottle hoping it will get rid of some bacteria and it seems to have reduced some redness.
I suppose it would depend on how you define "disinfect." The 70% will certainly kill bacteria. And it seems to be working for you with the reduced redness. Hopefully somebody who knows more about this than me will weigh in.

It's not necessary to soak, but it does require some contact time. So, after spraying if you let it sit for 2-10 minutes, then you'll experience more effectiveness in the reduction of bacteria. If you spray and just use, it's not really doing anything. The difference between 2 and 10 minutes is the types and quantities of contaminants the alcohol will take care of.

Both are overkill.

70% ethanol is better than 91%, and ethanol does a lot of its disinfecting when it dries, so if you use it, allow the razor to dry.

As others have said…

Matt from Razor Emporium has a video on it. No dishwashing machine, no barbicide, just warm water, dish soap and scrub.

you eat in restaurants using forks thousands of others had eaten prior to you, and they don’t dip anything on cavicide , they simply wash with warm water and detergent. If it’s good for putting things in your mouth, it should be good for putting a razor onto your face

Sunlight doesn't kill germs? I guess my mother taught me wrong.

Short wavelength ultraviolet radiation (UV-C) does indeed kill some microorganisms by disrupting their DNA, with sufficient intensity and time. It doesn't actually sterilize surfaces (bacterial endospores are up to 50 times more resistant than their vegetative state to high intensity UV-C), but it's reasonably good at disrupting the life cycle of many bacteria. Unfortunately (for disinfection purposes - fortunate for humans), over 95 percent of the Sun's UV radiation that actually makes it to the Earth's surface is the longer (less harmful) wavelength UV-A, with a smattering of slightly shorter wavelength UV-B. Almost no UV-C radiation (and very little UV-B) hits the surface because it's blocked by our friendly ozone layer. Without which, incidentally, we would fry. Ultraviolet radiation also doesn't penetrate opaque objects or shielded internal surfaces, or even glass (in the case of shorter wavelength UV-B/C - normal glass only blocks about 50 percent of UV-A, hence, sunburn through a window), so even if you did put your razor under a UV-C lamp, it wouldn't disinfect the internals. UV-A radiation is not harmless (think skin cancer), but if the planet's surface was bathed in UV-C radiation every day, the planet would be, well, disinfected. Including of humans.

Yes, your mother taught you wrong. No offense to Mom. :001_smile

Last edited:
As others have said…

Matt from Razor Emporium has a video on it. No dishwashing machine, no barbicide, just warm water, dish soap and scrub.

you eat in restaurants using forks thousands of others had eaten prior to you, and they don’t dip anything on cavicide , they simply wash with warm water and detergent. If it’s good for putting things in your mouth, it should be good for putting a razor onto your face

Actually, in the US the FDA regulation for commercial dishwashers (the machine, not the people), requires “a utensil surface temperature of 71°C (160°F) as measured by an irreversible registering temperature indicator.” That's the internal temperature at which you cook your Thanksgiving turkey (or should). It's actually better than Cavicide, and I'd like my used fork cooked to that temperature, thank you very much. Twice. :001_smile

Actually, in the US the FDA regulation for commercial dishwashers (the machine, not the people), requires “a utensil surface temperature of 71°C (160°F) as measured by an irreversible registering temperature indicator.” That's the internal temperature at which you cook your Thanksgiving turkey (or should). It's actually better than Cavicide, and I'd like my used fork cooked to that temperature, thank you very much. Twice. :001_smile
I think I said the same thing without specifying the regulation, which I was unaware of (I am not USA-based anyway). If the fork looks clean from the outside, it's fine by me :biggrin1:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, anyway!

Last edited:
I think I said the same thing without specifying the regulation, which I was unaware of (I am not USA-based anyway). If the fork looks clean from the outside, it's fine by me :biggrin1:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, anyway!

You're welcome! I think the word "warm" must be lost in translation :001_tongu, but yes, soap does cover (and wash off - it doesn't kill bacteria, it just sort of slides them off) a lot of sins. Just not nearly as many as high heat and quaternary amines. Our forefathers lived (at least past breeding age) just fine without washing their utensils or hands. Or razors. Their longevity and quality of life was a bit different, possibly attributable to some of the above, but in the Grand Scheme of things it eventually works out the same, and nobody gets out of here alive. :001_smile

Last edited:
Short wavelength ultraviolet radiation (UV-C) does indeed kill some microorganisms by disrupting their DNA, with sufficient intensity and time. It doesn't actually sterilize surfaces (bacterial endospores are up to 50 times more resistant than their vegetative state to high intensity UV-C), but it's reasonably good at disrupting the life cycle of many bacteria. Unfortunately (for disinfection purposes - fortunate for humans), over 95 percent of the Sun's UV radiation that actually makes it to the Earth's surface is the longer (less harmful) wavelength UV-A, with a smattering of slightly shorter wavelength UV-B. Almost no UV-C radiation (and very little UV-B) hits the surface because it's blocked by our friendly ozone layer. Without which, incidentally, we would fry. Ultraviolet radiation also doesn't penetrate opaque objects or shielded internal surfaces, or even glass (in the case of shorter wavelength UV-B/C - normal glass only blocks about 50 percent of UV-A, hence, sunburn through a window), so even if you did put your razor under a UV-C lamp, it wouldn't disinfect the internals. UV-A radiation is not harmless (think skin cancer), but if the planet's surface was bathed in UV-C radiation every day, the planet would be, well, disinfected. Including of humans.

Yes, your mother taught you wrong. No offense to Mom. :001_smile
Maw! Come here please. I wanna show you something.

Brother Scaramouche, is this topic controversial? What does this item below mean?

Open Your Blinds to Kill Germs (healthline.com)

Last edited:
Top Bottom