What's new

Cauliflower Hot Wings - For Aaron & John

An earlier thread discussed some cauliflower recipes, including a cauliflower pizza crust. This one is a bit different but instead using the florets whole they are processed with Rice flower, garlic, olive oil, salt, in a food processor and flattened in a pizza pan and light baked.

Cauliflower Hot Wings.

(Will be posting pictures in this thread but later this evening as SWMBO decided it would be for dinner rather than lunch)

Ingredients:
1-2 large heads of cauliflower (wash & rinsed)
1 & 1/2 cups rice flower
1 large bottle Crystal Hot sauce
1 stick of butter
1 table spoon of Olive Oil
1 teasponn Cayenne Pepper
OPTIONAL: one Jalapeno, Serano, Habanero, Ghost, or Scorpion chile ground)
1 cup of water
1 basting brush
1 teaspoon Salt, Pepper, Garlic (or to taste)
350 degree preheated oven

Prep:
Break up Cauliflower into florets, they will look like Chicken Drummies
wash and pat dry leaving a bit of moisture
Prepare the Rice Flower, Water mixture, putting a bit of salt, pepper, garlic and Cayenne in the mix.
Place the drummies on parchment, or Aluminum foil on a baking sheet and place into the pre-heated oven
bake for 10 minutes

Sauce Prep:
While baking prepare the sauce (this is the same sauce as Hooter's Chicken Wings)
Take a small sauce pan and heat over medium heat the following:
1 stick of butter
1 cup Crytal Hot Sauce
1 teaspoon of Cayenne
1 teaspoon Garlic

Heat all ingredients until smooth and reduce to very low heat stirring every so often. It will separate a bit

Place on parchement or Aluminum foil on baking sheet and place into oven for 10 minutes

After the initial baking turn over and heat an additional 10 minutes. After that remove from oven and they should be a light golden brown. Baste the sauce on both sides of the drummies, and return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes.

Then remove from oven baste one last time and let sit for 5 minutes. The crust should be very crispy but there will be a nice meaty texture of the cauliflower very similar to chicken. Serve with the tots or crowns and Celery and Blue cheese if desired.

Yields about 1-2 dozen and is a relatively healthy alternative to fried chicken wings and tastes just as good or better in some folks opinion.

(Pics to follow later in this thread) since we are having these for dinner.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
$hal1.jpg
$SORRY-DAVE-I-CANT-DO-THAT.gif

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Dave has started something now. He's emerged from the lessor sub-forums and made me dinner. Thanks Dave.

....Oh, and would the Mod team move this thread to, to, to.....

OK Give me a bit I am in preparation phase, waiting for the boss to get home from the store, since apparently it is a 2001 theme
proxy.php

I had a buddy who worked at Hooter a long time ago and gave me the recipe. Sorry for the delay gents, The SWMBO is not back from the store yet. She probably got re-directed to the Garden Section. Her AD Stay tuned

OK in process now, sorry for the delay

$Wing Prep.JPG
construction materials

$Flour with spices.JPG
dry mix with spices

$Sauce prep.JPG
sauce prep

...more to follow

into oven

$into oven 1.JPG

veggie goodness ready for oven ( trust me I am a meat eater from cattle country, but these are good

$slap ya mama tots.JPG

Tater tots seasoned with "Slap Ya Mama"

$sauce heating.JPG

saucey goodness blending together

..now we wait...

50/50 on the water to Rice flour mixture along with the dry spices. the other one is for the sauce. the crystal, dry spices, butter heat until smooth. Sorry 1st recipe posted

Ha, ha, those are sure looking good Dave
...but the obelisk is making better sense.

HAHA like I said I am a meat eater, but the wife is more a veggie so she suggested it because I use the same sauce for actual chicken wing and eat them by the truck load, so she wanted to find an alternative to me eating like I was still in college. So I tried these a few years back and was really surprised

Subscribed. I don't like cauliflower usually but I have heard of making pizza crust with it and my dad (who is diabetic, shouldn't eat a lot of white potatoes) tried some "mashed potatoes" with cauliflower as a substitute and told me they were fantastic. The "wings" look good.

That "slap yo mama" is pretty good stuff too, I like to blacken tuna steaks with it. It's got a little heat!

After taking them out of the oven one more coat, 5-minutes in the oven and let sit at room temp ( which here in Tucson could still be over 100 this time of year LOL ) for about 10-15 minutes as they are as hot as lava. Plus they will crisp up some more

Here is the plated result, with of course, and nice IPA.

$plating.jpg

nice and crisp, (very spicy this time) and a good crunch and meaty texture, serve with some sweet cherry peppers and Gastric Nirvana!

Hope you will try, I think you will enjoy

Cheers gents

Top Bottom