What's new

Caught That Darn Hummingbird!

Great shot. I have read 1000s of words on technique for shooting hummingbirds and it can get down to a lot of gear. Getting that pic with your listed gear is an achievement.

Based on the purple throat patch, might be a Lucifer hummingbird?

http://www.sabo.org/photoalb/hbsofaz.htm

Looks like it! Thanks!

@VictorG:
Can we have a 100% crop of you in his eye? That would be cool.

I can't wait until the Giants come back to town around December. I'll borrow my friend's 70-300 IS and camp out in the back yard until I get a really good pic.

Here's a Firecrown I got a while ago. I think he was collecting food for his chicks (if the males do that, I'm not an ornithologist):

proxy.php

proxy.php

I wasn't nearly as close as VictorG was able to get, so I had to substitute focal length and cropping.

Regarding the species, I think it's a male black-chinned hummingbird. Scroll down a little on the provided link. The description of the gorget, or throat region is almost spot-on with what you caught on film.

Great shot, by the way! I'm kind of jealous... Arizona has a great selection of hummingbirds. Here in Minnesota, we only have the ruby-throat.

Don

Based on the purple throat patch, might be a Lucifer hummingbird?

http://www.sabo.org/photoalb/hbsofaz.htm

Thanks for the site. Good to know for future reference! I have a couple other hummingbird images I need to identify.

Also, here are crops of the eye. Its a little difficult to see... hope they come out right in the post. If you look at the white dot in the middle-right of the eye... that is the camera flash. Right under, you can lightly see my camera lens.

Here is a 100% crop of the head/eye.
proxy.php

And, here is a 200% crop for good measure.
proxy.php

Here are a few other hummingbird pictures I took.

I took this one before the previous shot I posted... Same day, different hummer.
proxy.php

Another hummer... little round guy. I kept following him around and he kept zipping all over the place trying to get away.
proxy.php

Here is the same one hiding in a bush.
proxy.php

And, here is a 100% crop of the last picture... look at his eye, he's irate!
proxy.php

Great shots fellas!

I'm a bird enthusiast and I envy you guys. You see a lot of variety with your hummingbirds. Here in New England we only get Rubies, but they're pretty handsome birds, so I shouldn't complain. I was thinking about trying to get some photos this weekend if the weather cooperates. I don't know if I can pull it off with my cheap(ish) camera. I'll post if I get anything worthy.

I was just noticing....Not much meat on those things is there?

http://forums.***.com/images/smilies/Bolt.gif

It took about 40 minutes of patience and standing VERY still... but, I got that bugger! :001_tt2:

proxy.php

Nikon D200, Nikon AF-S DX 55-200mm, Focal Length 200mm, f/5.6, Shutter 1/60, Range about 3 feet.

Perhaps next time I'll use a much faster shutter speed to completely stop motion.

I'm shocked you got that close...

Top Bottom