What's new

Caught That Darn Hummingbird!

It took about 40 minutes of patience and standing VERY still... but, I got that bugger! :001_tt2:

proxy.php

Nikon D200, Nikon AF-S DX 55-200mm, Focal Length 200mm, f/5.6, Shutter 1/60, Range about 3 feet.

Perhaps next time I'll use a much faster shutter speed to completely stop motion.

Wow! A faster shutter speed might be interesting, but I think 1/60 made this a perfect image. I'm drooling with envy.

It took about 40 minutes of patience and standing VERY still... but, I got that bugger! :001_tt2:

proxy.php

Nikon D200, Nikon AF-S DX 55-200mm, Focal Length 200mm, f/5.6, Shutter 1/60, Range about 3 feet.

Perhaps next time I'll use a much faster shutter speed to completely stop motion.

Fantastic pic!

Wonderful picture, and IMO hummingbirds are one of the coolest animals in all of nature. Well done!

That's really impressive. I like the totally sharp head and neck with the transparent wings. It really conveys the sense of frenetic motion.

Do you know what the species is? I love the purple bib.

Just consolidate all of the above adjectives and add numerous :thumbup::thumbup1:. Love the hummers. Fantastic subject and technique! Thanks for the post.

Very interesting, and well done, photo.

The 1/60 did make a nice effect with the contrast of the still body to the "humming" wings.

This picture points out how well a hummingbird can hover -- with all that frantic wing and tail activity the bird is able to keep the rest of it's body as still as a stone angle in a cemetery.

Wow... big response! Thank you all for your kind words.

@Carnivore: No, I'm not sure of the species. I don't know too much about them except that they can be difficult to photograph. I do love to watch them fly/hover. Amazing and graceful little creatures, indeed.

One other thing I like about the shot, which you all can't see in the image... if you were to look at the original, uncompressed image, you will see a reflection of me and my camera in the hummer's eye. Kind of neat, I think.

Cheers!

Wow... big response! Thank you all for your kind words.

@Carnivore: No, I'm not sure of the species. I don't know too much about them except that they can be difficult to photograph. I do love to watch them fly/hover. Amazing and graceful little creatures, indeed.

One other thing I like about the shot, which you all can't see in the image... if you were to look at the original, uncompressed image, you will see a reflection of me and my camera in the hummer's eye. Kind of neat, I think.

Cheers!

Based on the purple throat patch, might be a Lucifer hummingbird?

http://www.sabo.org/photoalb/hbsofaz.htm

Top Bottom