What's new

Cataracts

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
51 years old and went in for my eye exam. Been naughty and skipped a year. Noticed my vision deteriorating in my right eye and thought it was time for a new prescription. Turns out that things are all foggy out of that eye because I have cataracts.

I am pretty squeamish about my eyes and would greatly appreciate any success shares anyone might have.

51 years old and went in for my eye exam. Been naughty and skipped a year. Noticed my vision deteriorating in my right eye and thought it was time for a new prescription. Turns out that things are all foggy out of that eye because I have cataracts.

I am pretty squeamish about my eyes and would greatly appreciate any success shares anyone might have.
I am 77 years old, had the surgery 3 years ago.
Vision improved very much, still have to wear eye glasses but a weaker prescription.
Don't worry about the surgery you won't feel anything and in about 1 day you will be back to normal.
Good luck to you.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

shavefan

I’m not a fan
A few years ago I was in the same boat as you O.P. (I'm the same age as you). I kept going back to my ophthalmologist as my prescription kept changing every couple of weeks. Long story short, turns out I had a cataract in my left eye. Got the surgery. I was in the surgery center for hours, pre and post op, but the actual procedure took about 15-20 minutes. Pretty easy and my vision has never been better.

Side note; I was definitely the youngest person getting cataract surgery, by a wide margin!

A close friend just went through cataract surgery. One week they did her right eye, a week or so later they did the left eye. Fast forward a couple months & she's doing great. Vision is great & there's no pain or side effects. She said the worst part was her nervousness at having her eyes operated on. She said the dr. & staff were first class pros & she felt completely at ease once she arrived. By the way, she's 70.

You're going to be fine. Let us know when you're scheduled to go in.

I'm glad this question came up - I was thinking of introducing it as a thread myself. The operation for cataracts is one of the best things that ever happened to me. It's harmless, painless, and somehow even entertaining.

I was operated on for cataracts three years ago, at age 67. Particularly on my right eye, I continued to require ever stronger glasses, particularly for reading. I found myself holding my right eye closed, and trying to read with my left eye, which was rather tiring. On the advice of my GP, I went to an ophthalmologist instead of to an optician. I was diagnosed with cataracts - pronounced on my right eye, incipient on my left eye.

I went to our university clinic, where I was offered the choice of remaining nearsighted, and still needing distance glasses or becoming farsighted and only needing reading glasses. I chose the latter. I was diagnosed with myopia when I was eight, and had been wearing glasses since then (-6.5 dioptres), which I was actually sick of.

There was a regimen of preparation a few days before the operation. I had to use both cortison and antibiotic eyedrops several times a day. The operation went extremely well, the staff was both professional and friendly - a totally positive experience.

After the operation, there were a few visits to the ophthalmologist and I had to keep using the cortison eyedrops for a few weeks until the inflamation was gone.

Now, three years after operation, I am still astounded as to how sharply I can see, and, primarily, as to how vivid, brilliant the colors are - new cars on the street, flowers, women's dresses, even television.

I am now farsighted and need +2.5 diptres on both sides, only for reading, and two opthalmologists assured me, that I could just as well get "ready readers" at the discount drugstore.

I can only encourage you to have the operation done.

Cheers,

Gauthier

My wife had surgery on both eyes in May. They did hers a few days apart due to COVID. They only wanted to test her once.

Mine were done three years ago after several back injections caused the cataracts to rapidly accelerate. Mine were done a month apart.

I’ve had to wear heavy corrective lenses since second grade. Before cataract surgery they could not get a read on my vision. They said it was somewhere north of 20/900. A month after the surgery I tested 20/40. Now I wear my contacts only to correct my keratoconis and to bring my vision to 20/20.

I told the doc I was a little aggravated that we didn’t do this 20 years ago. Of course insurance would not have covered it then.

Been on steroids for the past 3 years for a medical problem. That caused me to get rapid onset cataracts.

In Florida the operation is like driving through a fast food joint. They keep the gurneys warm.

Had to wear glasses since I was 5 years old.

Now at 70 I have the eyes of a fighter pilot.

Been on steroids for the past 3 years for a medical problem. That caused me to get rapid onset cataracts.

In Florida the operation is like driving through a fast food joint. They keep the gurneys warm.

I advanced from stage 3 to stage 4 in less than six months. When I went to the doc, she had me go through my medical history for the previous six month. When I dot to the lower epidural spinal injections, she asked if I knew what was in them. Painkiller and steroids. I took the max allowable for four months. No one mentioned that they could accelerate my cataracts.

On top of that, they didn’t work! The injections that is.

My Dad had spinal meningitis at the age of two and his eyesight was affected resulting in him wearing literally "Coke bottle bottom" thickness glasses his entire life. When he was 70 he was diagnosed with cataracts and had the surgery to remove them. After the surgery he came out with 20/20 vision only requiring reading glasses. I was funny to hear him talk out things along roads and highways that he had never be able to see before. Unfortunately he was only able to enjoy his new view of life for 5 years, but it was literally a life-changing event for him. The doctors said he was in a very small percentile which works out in such enormous sight changes.

I advanced from stage 3 to stage 4 in less than six months. When I went to the doc, she had me go through my medical history for the previous six month. When I dot to the lower epidural spinal injections, she asked if I knew what was in them. Painkiller and steroids. I took the max allowable for four months. No one mentioned that they could accelerate my cataracts.

On top of that, they didn’t work! The injections that is.
Crap on a cracker, add me to this list.

Was on prednisone for a few months earlier in the year and when I went for an eye exam last month was told I have the onset of cataracts. Not trilled obviously but from what I understand its evolved into a very straightforward and low risk procedure. While its not bothersome at the moment they'll continue to progress. I'm inclined to pull the trigger and have the surgery sooner than latter.

Can be a scary experience since you’ve only got 2 eyes but they have come a long way over the years. I had mine done a couple of years apart some time ago. I decided to go with mono focus lens in the first Eye and a lens to correct astigmatism in the other eye. Everything went fine, am happy with the results and basically glasses free(occasionally use readers if print is fine or poor lights. Wife had hers done last year and hasn’t been as pleased. She had laser surgery with variable focus lenses and after some minor corrections can see well. She has complained of star bursts and a sense of wet eye ever since. It seems like everyone’s experience is different. Good luck with yours.

Crap on a cracker, add me to this list.

Was on prednisone for a few months earlier in the year and when I went for an eye exam last month was told I have the onset of cataracts. Not trilled obviously but from what I understand its evolved into a very straightforward and low risk procedure. While its not bothersome at the moment they'll continue to progress. I'm inclined to pull the trigger and have the surgery sooner than latter.
The procedure is like an assembly line. They wheeled me into the room where four other patients were and the doctor was moving from patient to patient doing the procedure in about 15 minutes. I was in and out of the room in 20 minutes. They have combined the three separate eye drops into one drop now, so there isn’t a complicated schedule to follow. Easy peasy. Get R Done.

Had the right eye done 18 years ago after a retinal detachment. Had the left eye done 6 months ago at age 75. You'll be awake during the surgery, but sedated. There is no pain whatsoever. For a few days you may notice some mild scratchiness but that will go away quickly. Worst part is the pupil dilation. They don't mess around. Your eye will remain dilated and painfully sensitive to light for a couple of days after it's over. And you'll need to use antibiotic/steroid drops for a while. My doc said 4 weeks. Get the three-in-one combination drops. They cost more, about $45, but you'll be using them 3 times a day, and you'll thank me (and Ejones0310 too). I got a lot of sympathy afterwards from my Facebook friends but, honestly, I've had haircuts that bothered me more than cataract surgery. You're going to be delighted with the results. .

Incidentally, I've been myopic since I was 9 and I opted to continue wearing glasses. I do a lot more reading than star-gazing. You can also get lenses that give you both close and distant vision, but these are very pricey. Lots of graphic videos on the Web showing the surgery in detail -- DO NOT LOOK AT THOSE VIDEOS!

I had that surgery in one eye this year. Rapid onset caused by surgery to repair detached and torn retina (much longer story). The cataract surgery was a breeze by comparison.

I got a plastic lens in my right eye from the VA a couple of years ago.
The cataract got bad slowly for a few years and then very bad very quickly.
From ten feet away I could just barely see the doctor who was asking me
how many fingers she was holding up.
I was awake for the whole thing. The surgeon stuck a needle into the edge
of the lens capsule and ultrasound shattered my old lens and sucked out the pieces.
The new lens was rolled up and injected into the lens capsule.

They gave me some eye drops and a perforated eye shield.
There were a few check up visits and I never had to
wear cataract sun glasses.
My plastic lens is focused for long distance.
My natural lens is near sighted.
So now I can read or drive without glasses.

I got a plastic lens in my right eye from the VA a couple of years ago.
The cataract got bad slowly for a few years and then very bad very quickly.
From ten feet away I could just barely see the doctor who was asking me
how many fingers she was holding up.
I was awake for the whole thing. The surgeon stuck a needle into the edge
of the lens capsule and ultrasound shattered my old lens and sucked out the pieces.
The new lens was rolled up and injected into the lens capsule.

They gave me some eye drops and a perforated eye shield.
There were a few check up visits and I never had to
wear cataract sun glasses.
My plastic lens is focused for long distance.
My natural lens is near sighted.
So now I can read or drive without glasses.
When they determine you vision loss by fingers, you are in pretty bad shape. I could not see the eye charts much less read them. So she held up her hand and asked how many fingers and I could not see any fingers...just a blob of flesh color.

I’m trying to decide when to have mine done. My cataracts aren’t too bad currently, but last eye doctor visit is when I was told I had them in both eyes.

Totally freaked out about being awake during the operation.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Totally freaked out about being awake during the operation.
Being the OP on this thread I can happily say that almost 2 years post op I am completely happy with the outcome and found the procedure to be not stressful at all.

I too was very anxious about being awake during the surgery. I told my surgeon as much (I imagine many people are anxious) and he assured me that the happy pill that they'd give me would put me right. Sure enough, no big deal. Best $45 bucks I've ever spent. No more eyeglasses.

Being the OP on this thread I can happily say that almost 2 years post op I am completely happy with the outcome and found the procedure to be not stressful at all.

I too was very anxious about being awake during the surgery. I told my surgeon as much (I imagine many people are anxious) and he assured me that the happy pill that they'd give me would put me right. Sure enough, no big deal. Best $45 bucks I've ever spent. No more eyeglasses.

I concur 100%. I had my cataracts operated five years ago. You don't feel a thing during the operation. They repeatedly drop an extremely potent local anesthetic into your eyes. During the actual procedure you hear a rather strange noise as the old lens is emulsified ultrasonically. On the whole, it's even somehow entertaining. Any dental procedure is more uncomfortable.

Before the operation I had pronounced myopia (-6.5 dioptres). My distance glasses were very expensive. Now, I only need cheap reading glasses. Two ophthalmologists said that I could even use "ready readers" from the discount drugstore. I have the simplest reading glasses possible from an optician. My quality of life has improved markedly. I'm glad I'm still young enough to enjoy it.

Top Bottom