What's new

Caswell Massey hits a new low

First, let me say I really like Caswell Massey bath soaps, colognes, aftershave splashes and talcs. I have tried their shave soaps and they are pretty bad-they lather well but the lather deflates quickly and the shave is fair. I figured that was pretty bad-until today-I tried a small jar of their Lathering shave cream. I followed the directions-pretty much how I usually use creams. It was like trying to lather chilled PUS! Thick, sticky, no lather whatsoever. A lot sticks in the brush so you can easily reapply with each pass but it is either viscous, sticky or if you add a drop of warm water, thin and useless. The sink was covered with what looked liked pond scum when I was done. I think I will dump the stuff into the garbage-I'm afraid what it will do to the pipes-and use the very nicely sized screw top container for some P160 for traveling. I purchased all of the soaps and creams st the same time. I must add that their Dr Hunter's brushless shave cream is really pretty good!

Someone has to say it so I guess it must be me: Caswell Massey's soap and creams are just crap. The only hope you have for a decent lather is to use Kiss My Face with their products in a morphodite bastardized superlather process. Even then you only have a 50 50 chance of a lather which will give you a poor shave at best.

I amazed that a such an old line company that has some great products could put such garbage on the market.

My experience is exactly the same. Terrible lather. And here is the kicker. Back in the day(really into the late 1980's from what I gather) C-M made some GREAT shave creams and lathers. At least I have seen that stated by posters who used the products in that era. They were mortified to find that one day when they replaced an empty cream jar or a cake of soap that their beloved lathers just...didn't.

I think C-M may have used the English manufacturers for their creams but I cannot say that as a fact. The soaps I have no clue about. I do know the idea that non-English soaps companies do not understand how to make great shave lathers is hooey. I have a vintage English Leather shave soap that is almost certainly made in the USA and it is second only to AOS which is tall company to be in. C-M can make or spec what they need and want. They have chosen to do something crazy in my opinion. I do like their Jockey Club scent though.

Regards, Todd

I know it weird and caswell-massey doesn't get good reviews but I actually get great results from the Sandalwood soap. Its special but I does give me a close shave. When I first got it, it sucked. I had to make many changes to my technique but with a large slightly damp brush I was able to build a usable lather. Good luck, PIF it, one mans trash another mans treasure.

Maddening, isn't it? Their other products smell great and perform wonderfully, but their shaving creams/soaps bite the big one. Email the company and let them know.

I have the Caswell-Massey sandalwood soap. The lather does deflate! I thought I was doing something wrong.

I think I got a good lather from it once. I'm not sure what I did, though.

Top Bottom