What's new

Castle forbes

man, i still have to try this stuff one of these days. i should have pulled the trigger when WCS had it on the DOTD :blue:

brucered, I'm happy to send you a sample of CF Cedar & Sandalwood, pm me if you are interested. I don't have the others (the lime and the lavender also are excellent performers, I just don't like the scents). The cedar is amazing. Like cuttingboard said, the Nancy Boys (at least Signature and Replenishing) and Castle Forbes are simply incredible.

I think I've tried to answer the million dollar question so many times but I think at this point I really do somewhat pick the same ones. As I'm using my soaps more I've started to narrow down my creams. The ones that will definitely stay are AK 1869, AOS sandalwood, NB Replenishing and CF Lavender. I haven't tried the CF Limes and I'm sure I'll love it. I have a second tub of the lavender I might put up for trade to check out the limes. I had a tub of the cedarsandalwood and didn't like the scent. It was snatched up quick. The lather is some of the best I've seen. only the AK 1869 is on par with performance with CF products.

brucered, I'm happy to send you a sample of CF Cedar & Sandalwood, pm me if you are interested. I don't have the others (the lime and the lavender also are excellent performers, I just don't like the scents). The cedar is amazing. Like cuttingboard said, the Nancy Boys (at least Signature and Replenishing) and Castle Forbes are simply incredible.

I'd love to sample, if possible (willing to compensate for the trouble!). Please pm me.

thanks for the offer Tkocloser....but i should clarify my comment as i made a mistake when i posted. i have had the privilege of trying a sample way back from Penmanship, who i work with, of the Cedarwood....what i meant to say is "I really need to try a Full Size of this stuff one of these days".... i had forgotten about the sample he gave me, as we exchange samples all the time...but talking to him about CF today, i remembered trying it and getting a good lather, but need to get a full container to do my brush swirls on it.

i tried it when 1st starting out, from what i remember and hearing from Tim is, it's clearly a top notch product and i'll get around to ordering a full size Limes one of these days.

How does it compare to Trumpers/Aos/Truefitt seems to be getting good reviews, but is the cream/balm really that good?

I own the Lime and Lavender version.

The Lime has the best scent of probably all my lime/lemon creams -and it's a very nice lather you get from it, but it does NOT work for sensitive skin. I doesn't heal cuts , so I never use CF LIme, when I feel like my skin needs a sensitive protective shving cream - I almost never USE CF Lime during the winter season for instance. CF Lime is summer only for my use.

The CF Lavender, while not smelling as great as the Lime version, is very good for sensitive skin and heals cuts and nicks on my skin. The lather is equally good as the CF Lime version - preferably use the CF Lavender during the winter season.

Castle Forbes are up there with the best shaving creams - only Santa Maria Novella, Acca Kappa 1869 Pot, Xpec and Acqua Di Parma are clearly better for my skin than CF creams.
So CF creams are in my Top 5 over best shaving creams......

I should add that my 2 DR Harris creams - Marlborough and Arlington - both give CF Lime and CF Lavender a run for their money if you look only at shaving performance. Only the scents of my 2 CF creams makes me rank them above my 2 DR Harris creams, shaving performance isolated, the CF's rank below my DR Harris, my Santa Maria Novella, my Acca Kappa 1869 Pot, my Acqua Di Parma and my TF&H Ultimate Comfort for my skin.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replys, I was in London today and popped into Fortnum & Mason and brought the last tub of CFs celdarwood, that's now over 20 tubs of shaving cream in the last year, never mind I don't smoke, once again many thanks and will let you know how I get on.

I own the Lime and Lavender version.

The Lime has the best scent of probably all my lime/lemon creams -and it's a very nice lather you get from it, but it does NOT work for sensitive skin. I doesn't heal cuts , so I never use CF LIme, when I feel like my skin needs a sensitive protective shving cream - I almost never USE CF Lime during the winter season for instance. CF Lime is summer only for my use.

good to know....i don't have many reactions to creams and soaps, but my skin gets irritated easily as far as redness and cuts/knicks etc. perhaps i'll have to try the lavender.

I'm eager to try both the CF Lime and Lavender. I recently acquired the TOBS Lemon/Lime, but don't really like the scent and I've heard great things about the CF Lime.

I recently purchased a tub of Razorock King Louis lavender soft soap. My CF lavender was just about gone & I wanted to try this highly praised Italian soap. The King Louis was suggested to be a more "real" lavender scent than the other lavender offered by Razorock. Big disappointment!! Almost no aroma. The lather, compared to CF is a joke. The slickness so so. Cushioning is ok. I will be offering this tub for sale after just a few uses. Biggest disappointment is the almost total lack of aroma. It surely makes the CF lavender seem like a rare elixir. I'll just purchase another. Of course YMMV.

I will join the chorus of those who sing the praises of CF. I have, use and enjoy creams from the three T's which are fine products that provide great shaves with wonderful fragrances. But CF is in a class all by its self in my view. The Lavender SC is the finest lavender product on the market. The Lime and Cedar/Sandalwood are fantastic as well. I have and enjoy the CF lavender balm an like it very much. As with the SC, a little goes a long way. I have not tried either the Lime or Cedar/Sandalwood balms.

Regards,

Doug

CF made me sad. I thought it was easily among the best creams I've used, if not the best, but the scents did not do it for me. The lavender was just too much of a good thing, and the lime smelled like margarita mix.

CF is my number one product by far i like my MWF i like my proraso and my C&E and others i have but none for me come close to my CF

I prefer BB, Floris and the T&H line to CF in terms of the actual shave. Trumpers Violet is better than the C&F I have tried. Thats in terms of slickness, latherability and moisterizing

Scent is a personal thing though

I have not tried the castle forbes creme, but I've just been using Penhaligon's blenheim bouquet. I have to say that the lubricating properties of it blow TOBS, Vulfix, and Proraso out of the water. The Penhaligon's is top notch stuff, and really smells great.

I've yet to spend an extended period of time with CF (I have the Lime), so my opinion is preliminary. The stuff is slick as greased lightning, BUT I'm finding it lacks the cushion I get from other creams and from a lot of soaps.

I love the scent and slickness but honestly the performance of this $38 cream isn't a whole lot different for me than a $3 puck of Col. Conk soap, and actually has less cushion than a cheap tube of Arko cream. For me so far, this emperor has no clothes.

Perhaps my opinion will change later - after I use up all of my Bigelow I'm switching to my CF Limes, and I plan to use it until it is gone. Maybe an extended round of usage will allow me to unlock its mysteries.

I've yet to spend an extended period of time with CF (I have the Lime), so my opinion is preliminary. The stuff is slick as greased lightning, BUT I'm finding it lacks the cushion I get from other creams and from a lot of soaps.

I love the scent and slickness but honestly the performance of this $38 cream isn't a whole lot different for me than a $3 puck of Col. Conk soap, and actually has less cushion than a cheap tube of Arko cream. For me so far, this emperor has no clothes.

Perhaps my opinion will change later - after I use up all of my Bigelow I'm switching to my CF Limes, and I plan to use it until it is gone. Maybe an extended round of usage will allow me to unlock its mysteries.

I agree with you.

CF Lime has one thing going for it - the scent.
The lather it creates, while it is smelling great, gives me far less protection and comfort than the lather I get from Aqua Di Parma, Santa Maria Novella, Acca Kappa 1869 Pot version, Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort, DR Harris Arlington & Marlborough & I Coloniali.

CF Lavender gives me far greater comfort - but while the lavender scent is really nice, the CF Lime scent is just fantastic fresh. But I get far more small cuts when I shave with the CF Lime, than compared to the ones I mention above - CF Lime is a summer only cream for my skin.

Top Bottom