What's new

Castle Forbes Pre-Shave Review Discussion Thread....

Hello,

I used this product on all the shaves during the Castle Forbes, Saks shaving event in New York last June. During this time I shaved every type of face and can honestly say this is the best pre shave I have ever used and suited all skin types. This bottle will last at least three months, does not harm your shaving brush and will add that special "edge" to your shaving routine.

Regards, Robert

S

Sam

John: Let me suggest Colonial Drug, 617 864 2222. Ask for Cathy and tell her I told you to call. She offers free shipping to SMF members and given that, I can not think of a cheaper US source.

Sam

I am highly skeptical of the claim of "swelling the hairs" and making them stand out, or whatever, especially after reading the ingredient list. Sounds like snake oil to me. If it works for you, great, but I'll be curious to hear some other opinions from people who have tried it.

I actually used to frequent colonial when I lived boston, but usually their prices are higher than most places. I didn't mind since i love that place and wanted to support it. Cathy has offered free shipping to B&B members too, so I guess I'll give her a ring.

Thanks,

John

Scotto said:
I am highly skeptical of the claim of "swelling the hairs" and making them stand out, or whatever, especially after reading the ingredient list. Sounds like snake oil to me. If it works for you, great, but I'll be curious to hear some other opinions from people who have tried it.

The proof is in the puddin'! Give it a go!

Sounds like a key ingredient for the Scotto Sample Stable. I know, you don't have a pre-shave selection, but put it with the aftershaves. Certain folks over at SMF have found it even better in that capacity (and apparently skin food makes a great pre-shave).

Not much information on this product on this board.
Come on guys! A few more must have tried this one?
I like the promise of a water soluble pre-shave.

I know most journeyman wet-shavers on this board seem to feel a pre-shave is superfluous. But I would definitely add a few seconds to my shaving routine (and pay the extra bucks for a product that works) if it gives ANY benefit to the end result.
I want a pre shave as an "insurance", should I rush the lathering of my cream and end up with an underhydrated lather.
Anyone concur?

I have now had a few shaves using "The Pre-Shave" from Castle Forbes (TPS) and I am very pleased with the results!

I don't know if I can actually feel any whisker-swelling. But TPS does make the hairs stand out a little more! To my nose, this product is ODORLESS. YMMV

Now the real clincher for me is the slickness that TPS provides. And this is without any harmful pre shave oils getting into my beautiful brush since TPS is water soluble.
I wouldn't put the razor to my face, and go at it without adding any cream or soap, which I could probably get away with using some of the pre shave oils out there. But where is the fun in that?
I can get a perfect shave without TPS, but it takes five seconds to put on and feels like insurance should my skin be extra sensitive on a particular day (I can never tell if it's one of those days until the shave is over and my skin burns! And by then it is too late, right?).
Overall I highly recommend this product to one and all, who don't mind spending a few extra dollars on their shave.
If you switch blades every two or three days out of fear that its edge MAY have become somewhat dulled, you can certainly invest in this "insurance". A bottle goes a long way!

I know this thread is old, but I am currently looking to try CF preshave. I have been wetshaving for a few years and I think preshave is not needed, but is nice sometimes especially a high quality one if you can afford it.

I know this thread is old, but I am currently looking to try CF preshave. I have been wetshaving for a few years and I think preshave is not needed, but is nice sometimes especially a high quality one if you can afford it.

I've gone through almost an entire bottle of this stuff, and I have mixed feelings about it. I'm in a similar boat as you, I think, in not needing a preshave but occasionally enjoying a good one.

CF Preshave is pretty good stuff, and I think it does it's job well. I wouldn't say it blows my socks off, though. It doesn't smell very good to my nose. Kind of like petroleum. But it's water soluble, so it won't muck up your razor/sink/brush, which is very handy. And, as a predominant face-latherer, I can vouch for it improving the quality of lather a bit (one of the perks of using a good preshave, I think). Worth trying, IMO, but not so much worth the retail price point. I wouldn't purchase it again new, but I might think about it if a partial bottle came around on the B/S/T for a good price. Had I more than a touch left, I'd be happy to shoot you a sample.

I´m a big fan of C/F, however I am not a big fan of Preshave Products. The content is mainly what I put into a preshave, if I would make one.
Glycerin, Aloe Vera and Water. Maybe a tiny bit of alcohol to solve it all.
Glycerin will keep the water on your damp skin to evaporate. It probably will force the hair to keep the water it absorbed. Aloe Vera will give a little lubrication used as a preshave.
I already heard of Aloe products being used as pre as well as aftershave. (i love it as a balm)
Both products are water soluable and thus will not cloak your razor or stain your brush.
You could get that for 10 bucks at your pharmacy in nearly unlimited quantity.
For me it didn´t work. I will stick with shower and hot water.

I have been using the pre-shave oil from The Gentlemens Refinery and I really like it...it is a natural product and organic and makes a difference on how my face feels after the shave. There is no razor burn with this product.

Regards,

+1 on the mixed feelings
it's quick to put on but I can't tell if it's swelling the whiskers
it does provide slickness but not 100% positive that it lasts thru the whole shave

I'm most of the way through my bottle of the CF pre-shave.

It stinks. It has an unpleasant fishy smell, albeit a weak one.

I have been lamenting the CF lavender cream as well, but as I've been pairing the two since day one, I've now discovered that the cream works a lot better without its proprietary pre-shave. Go figure.

In fact, the all over redness and irritation which I thought was a reaction to the lavender EO in the cream didn't present once I deleted the pre-shave from my CF days.

This one won't be replaced when it runs out.

Not so sure if I agree. I have used pre-shave products for a long time and there are a few that I feel really stand up the whiskers and allow for a much more noticeably smoother shave. I was previously a fan of The Art of Shaving Pre-Shave Gel Kelp but have recently switched to the Game Day Pre-Shave Invigorating Scrub. I think you'll enjoy either of these.

Top Bottom