What's new

Castle Forbes lavender vs Simpsons lavender vetiver

I've read great reviews about Castle Forbes and Simpsons shaving creams.
Marco has been an advocate of the Simpsons and I have found his observations spot on.
For my next purchase which would you recommend.
I'm sure that a like lavender , but the vetiver in the Simpsons makes me wonder if I would still like it. If it is a well blended scent and not over powering vetiver scent it might be OK.
The Simpsons unscented would be an option in the Simpsons line as well.
Thanks Chuck.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Hi Chuck,

I have both. I prefer Castle Forbes by a small margin in performance and a larger margin in scent.

Simpsons lavender-vetiver is about the only soap or fragrance that contains vetiver that I can abide, I am not a vetiver fan. I can use Floris 89 but have to be in the mood for it. I still use Simpsons lavender-vetiver occasionally and haven't sold it lol.

Be glad to send you a sample of both if you PM me a mailing address. Both are pristine, untouched by a brush.

Cheers, Steve

I haven't tried Simpson's, but CF Lavender is my favorite cream for both scent and performance. It floats above the top shelf.

At @Steve56 's suggestion, I picked up some CF lavender this week. Tried it yesterday. Great stuff. But it is more of a croap than a cream. The Simpsons will likely be a bit easier to lather.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
My lavender is croapier too but a my limes and cedar-sandalwood are both creamier. Seems to depend on the batch/tub.

Cheers, Steve

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, both are excellent options and two of the very best UK creams. For a pure, strong and straight Lavender scent I suggest Castle Forbes, for a more complex and unique fragrance I suggest Simpsons. If you desire a light and subtle Lavender you could also consider T&H Ultimate Comfort.

Marco,
I have read post where you commented on the T&h ultimate comfort and the Simpsons brand too.
Your opinion on the T&H ultimate comfort influenced me to try it.
I think it is the best cream I have used yet.
This also got me looking at lavender scented creams.
Steve 56 is sending me some samples of each.
I will have to share my experience on this thread once I give them a try.
Thanks again Steve 56.
Chuck.

Sir, both are excellent options and two of the very best UK creams. For a pure, strong and straight Lavender scent I suggest Castle Forbes, for a more complex and unique fragrance I suggest Simpsons. If you desire a light and subtle Lavender you could also consider T&H Ultimate Comfort.

Those are my 3 favourite cream summarised very well. I found castle forbes scent a bit too powerfull but the performance is outstanding.

I won't be without t&h uc and simpsons lavender and vanilla.

St james also does a great lavender and geranium cream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want your face and bathroom to smell like a field of fresh lavender...castle Forbes hands down. CF is also very dense amd a little goes a long way. It'll last you over a year.

I have given both of these a try and their reputations precede them.
I got great performance from both of them.
The Simpsons was easy to work with and the vetiver has a green grassy component that blend well with lavender.
The Castle Forbes has stronger lavender scent , but not as strong as I thought it would be. It is definitely a more concentrated , croap like consistency and a little fussy to get the lather at its best. It has better quality's when face lathered , but I had trouble keeping the 1/8 teaspoon chunk on the brush without it falling off.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
@arrowhead147 Maybe I misunderstood your post but are you scooping out a piece of CF soap and trying to push it around your face with the brush?

I think CF Lavender is one of the easiest lathering products I've had the pleasure of using. I just swirl a well shaken out brush, just damp, 6-7 times on top of the soap and then face lather on a wet face. Sometimes I might need to add a bit more water to the brush, but in general I've found that this method works very well...

I picked up the Castle Forbes Lavender last week and have shaved three times with it. Everyone was correct that a very little goes a very long way. Lathers like a beast. I was a little disappointed in the scent however. I don't know what I was expecting since I don't have another Lavender cream. It has a powderyness to it. But the lather is slick as all heck. I like it and will use it all summer along with my TOBS Lemon & Lime. I've heard the CF Lime is awesome as well but I'm not about to spend another $40 on a tub of shave cream.

I was working with a sample.
I didn't have a full container.
Chuck.
With cream samples I scoop a thumbnail's worth of cream and put it in my left palm. Then, with a damp brush, I gently swirl on the sample just enough to load the brush and proceed to face lather as normal.

Top Bottom