What's new

Castle Forbes Lavender - is it "just me" ?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Bbb34, you might try more water. CF is notoriously thirsty because it's enormously concentrated. It takes less of this stuff than almost anything else, so if you were using T&H amounts, you're probably using too much product. This is BTW, the exact opposite of good advice for most soaps and creams!

Good luck!

Cheers, Steve

Last edited:
Bbb34, you might tey more water. CF is notoriously thirsty because it's enormously concentrated. It takes less of this stuff than almost anything else, so if you were using T&H amounts, you're probably using too much product. This is BTW, the exact opposite of good advice for most soaps and creams!

Good luck!

Cheers, Steve

Thanks Steve, after my initial attempt I quickly realized it's a thirsty cream, and I did try that. I then made it a bit too thin, then playing a bit more, I think I got the consistency and amounts just right. It indeed is a good cream, amazing scent and great lather, just for me, not quite "the best there is", not even repeated buy (just yet). I might be judging it too harshly, but at this price point, it has to be fantastic, which it seems to be for most people. Therefore my "it's gotta be me, right?" thread title. :001_unsur

Funny enough, CF performance made me second guess myself a bit, so I have since tried 3 creams and 1 soap I currently have in my possession, just to compare and make sure I wasn't imagining things, and so far, CF and I just aren't great match. I'll try it again, will walk away for a week or so. Looking at the bright side, the most expensive cream I currently own, doesn't seem to be the best for me, so, perhaps silver lining in all this.

I didn't begin to appreciate my CF lav. until I started lathering on the tub, rather than grabbing some and lathering in a bowl. Can't speak to face lathering with it yet.

I didn't begin to appreciate my CF lav. until I started lathering on the tub, rather than grabbing some and lathering in a bowl. Can't speak to face lathering with it yet.

Interesting, that's one thing I haven't tried, thanks.
Not sure why would that make the difference though, but hey, nothing to lose at this point.

Not sure why would that make the difference though,
I think it just gets into the brush more evenly, and soaks up water more consistently, when lathering on the greater surface area. But that's just me speculating. I don't enjoy hard-ish cream or soap samples. I've always found them problematic.

I also only use boar and synth brushes, which make easier/better lather imo.

+1 on the CF creams, especially the Lime. Example of how refreshing CF Lime is follows:
Played 18 holes of golf today. Tee off @ 8:00. Temps started out at bout 90 degrees and midway through the round, climbed to 103. Drug my butt home, wiped & sweaty, took a nice shower and thought about my upcoming shave (since I only do a "quick/electric before leaving for the course.) Choice wasn't too hard as the word LIME came into mind. So there it is.
Lathered up with CF Lime. Got a nice 3 pass + touch up shave. What to follow that with. Captain's Choice LIME ASB, of course. dry down was nice & soothing. Next up to bat was St John's Bay LIME AS. Pure bliss and a very cooling affect.
Bottom line, who ever doesn't believe CF creams are not among the best and well worth the $$, should re-think it (IMHO).
That's my story. CF Lime & Lavender will ALWAYS be in my den. No offense to OP, but that's the way I see it. Bang for the buck or not, the stuff is among the best you can get. Get the cream/water ratio right and the lather explodes.
Mikey

I don't care for any of the CF scents, but I do find the performance of the cream to be outstanding, and is the cream that I compare all others to. I always face lather creams, as well as soaps, and have never had a problem producing a luscious, slick lather with great aftershave face feel. I spread a very thin layer of cream on my face, then slowly add small amounts of water to my brush, building the lather gradually, until I begin to see that nice shine to the lather. CF will always be in my tier 3 cream and soaps and part of my rotation.

Maybe it's one of these creams that's especially sensitive to the water quality - hard water, iron who knows but water quality certainly varies with location. Lake Michigan water seems to work well. That said of the 50+ creams that I've used over the last few decades I don't really notice much spread in performance. There have been a few (usually very cheap) no name items that were rubbish and got binned but anything with a pedigree seems to be basically pretty good. It comes down to preferences, scent, packaging, satisfying your curiosity what all the fuss is about...

I think it just gets into the brush more evenly, and soaks up water more consistently, when lathering on the greater surface area. But that's just me speculating. I don't enjoy hard-ish cream or soap samples. I've always found them problematic.

I also only use boar and synth brushes, which make easier/better lather imo.

Tried twice since I posted last, and it made no difference for me comparing to previous attempts.
Incredible lather as poster (below) says it "just explodes", but just doesn't glide well and therefore doesn't give as close shave as some of my top performing creams. I'm using badger brush, so it could be that comparing to you, but it works great with everything else I own.

No offense to OP, but that's the way I see it. Bang for the buck or not, the stuff is among the best you can get. Get the cream/water ratio right and the lather explodes.
Mikey

No offense taken at all, no worries, this hobby is very subjective, I'm fully aware of that.
What blows my mind, almost EVERYONE is saying exactly the same thing as you and at this point I'm now absolutely certain this cream is not for me. Not at 1/2 the price, never mind $68 (Canadian all taxes in).

That said of the 50+ creams that I've used over the last few decades I don't really notice much spread in performance .....It comes down to preferences, scent, packaging, satisfying your curiosity what all the fuss is about...

Fully agree and as I said, half the fun is in trying different stuff, and I don't regret spending money on CF. Wish I tried the sample first, but, whatever, you win some, you lose some, lesson learned.

As for performance, it's hard not to judge product performance without taking price into consideration. I currently rotate 4 different creams in addition to CF. All of them are less expensive, per gram of product and I'm convinced per shave too, I prefer every single one of them to CF (performance, love CF scent and lather), crazy right ?

Bad batch maybe? Sometimes that's the culprit.

Chris

I guess it's possible, but I think it's just not ideal match for me, my skin or water.

I know I'm repeating myself but I'll say it one last time.
For me, this is a good cream, lots to like about it, good, but not great. And for $68 and given reputation it has, I needed it to be great to consider buying it again. Unfortunately it didn't work that way.

+1 CF Lime, again today, great shave today. Stuff is refreshing, especially after a sweaty round of golf (showed 1st , of course) Then, CF Lime, CC Lime ASB, then lastly St John's bay Lime AS. All Lime, all good! Felt like a million.
Mikey

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I guess it's possible, but I think it's just not ideal match for me, my skin or water.

I know I'm repeating myself but I'll say it one last time.
For me, this is a good cream, lots to like about it, good, but not great. And for $68 and given reputation it has, I needed it to be great to consider buying it again. Unfortunately it didn't work that way.

Hey, it's OK. I've tried several shave products that were talked up on the forums as "OMG! Awesome! Best Ever!" and left me with a "meh" feeling. I doubt there's a more "YMMV" subject than shaving.

Use what you like and like what you use. That's "what makes a market" as they say...

One of my favorites. Easy lathering and a smell to die for.

No argument here, it's the performance of that same lather that's lacking for me.
If this was the only cream I ever tried (and significantly cheaper), perhaps I'd be able to live with it.

Didn't compare to Sudsy Soapery, L&L Grooming, and Tallow & Steel so I sold it.

Alright, that's a few posters now, so I'm not only one who thinks it's not the greatest ever.

Hey, it's OK. I've tried several shave products that were talked up on the forums as "OMG! Awesome! Best Ever!" and left me with a "meh" feeling. I doubt there's a more "YMMV" subject than shaving.

Use what you like and like what you use. That's "what makes a market" as they say...

Exactly ;-) ... shame though, the scent is incredible.
Oh well, T&H is one of my favorites and they make Lavender, I'll give that a try at some point I guess.
Hopefully the smell is just as nice, I know their performance is top notch for me.

Exactly ;-) ... shame though, the scent is incredible.
Oh well, T&H is one of my favorites and they make Lavender, I'll give that a try at some point I guess.
Hopefully the smell is just as nice, I know their performance is top notch for me.

If you're ok with a less pungent but still very natural lavendar scent, T&H Ultimate Comfort is second to none!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you're ok with a less pungent but still very natural lavendar scent, T&H Ultimate Comfort is second to none!

I find CF mellows once lathered comparing to the scent right out of the box, which is what I prefer.

SJOL is better than CF for me.

Good to know, seems that some of T&H former employees are behind their revival, so I have somewhat high expectations for SJOL. I'll update the thread once I've used some of their creams as there are few people now who recommended them.

Love the CF creams. You definitely pay for the scent. Strongest and best Lime and lavender out there in my soap experience.

I like the performance just fine too. I load in the bowl heavy and face lather. I do add a lot of water to go with a lot of soap! More water than most creams. It fills the room with scent. I also use straight razors on the weekends. I have other creams just as good, but not really any better.

Top Bottom