What's new

Castle Forbes Gentlemen's Cologne

Hey folks - Who has Castle Forbes Gentlemen's Cologne in their collection or maybe a sample that can give their opinion on the scent.

I searched through the B & B archives and found a few threads from a decade ago. So I was hoping for more recent feedback.

I reached out to Castle Forbes directly, asking to purchase samples, and haven't heard back yet. It was a couple of days ago. From what I've read, I may not hear back.

Thanks!

Ray

OMG, this looks to be Divine!
Let us know if you get a sample and if so, how it is!!
Love CF and Scotland in general!!

cf gents.jpg

Scotland 2021 Z7 5839_-Edit x.jpg

Love CF and Scotland in
I know, right!

I'm always on the lookout for a unique and uncommon fragrance. This seems to have potential.
I'll definitely let you know if I grab a sample.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
It almost sounds like Polo Green before the EU restricted oakmoss. If so, fantastic !

I've been wearing it for almost 10 yrs now. I like it a lot. Seems to me to be for the mature set. May be a bit old school for the younger set. Lonegvity and sillage is great on me.
As far as finding samples, you won't. I tried for a year before buying the bottles. I have their whole line and like Gentleman's, Kieg and 1445 the best. These are the kinds of scents you'll find men wearing at an English men's club while they read their papers and smoke their cigars. Lonach is a very distinctive scent that I think has been discontinued. Forbes of Forbes doesn't do much for me.
CF has very poor Customer Service. Your chance of even getting a canned email response isn't great.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Love CF and Scotland in general!!

View attachment 1434997

View attachment 1434998
Lovely photo, as per normal my friend.

@sarimento1 ;

Have you tried Pino Sylvestri, and are there ANY similar traits between these two? Pino is obviously inexpensive, and not the longest lasting on me, actually goes on smelling "cheap" but tones down to a unique smell that I like to wear during any season.

My heritage is mostly Anglo, Scotch & soda, Irish, and German.... If I ever visit outside 'Murica I will first go to Scotland and Ireland. Quite possibly the bravest, noblest folks on that island!

But Joe Cocker was Welsh, and he was the best singer ever to come from that side of the pond, so I may start claiming to have some stray Welshman roaming around in my family tree!

Last edited:

FarmerTan

I've been wearing it for almost 10 yrs now. I like it a lot. Seems to me to be for the mature set. May be a bit old school for the younger set. Lonegvity and sillage is great on me.
As far as finding samples, you won't. I tried for a year before buying the bottles. I have their whole line and like Gentleman's, Kieg and 1445 the best. These are the kinds of scents you'll find men wearing at an English men's club while they read their papers and smoke their cigars. Lonach is a very distinctive scent that I think has been discontinued. Forbes of Forbes doesn't do much for me.
CF has very poor Customer Service. Your chance of even getting a canned email response isn't great.
They must have enough business to not have to bother, it sounds like. Sad.

@sarimento1 ;

Have you tried Pino Sylvestri, and are there ANY similar traits between these two? Pino is obviously inexpensive, and not the longest lasting on me, actually goes on smelling "cheap" but tones down to a unique smell that I like to wear during any season.

My heritage is mostly Anglo, Scotch & soda, Irish, and German.... If I ever visit outside 'Murica I will first go to Scotland and Ireland. Quite possibly the bravest, noblest folks on that island!

But Joe Cocker was Welsh, and he was the best singer ever to come from that side of the pond, so I may start claiming to have some stray Welshman roaming around in my family tree!

thx for nice words!
yes, pino sylvestri is nice; not having tried CF gentleman, cannot say if there is similarity!
and, indeed, you'd enjoy scotland, and i'm sure, ireland as well; my trip to Scotland last fall was great!

truefitt hill luxury omega filarmonica pino silvestre april 6 2017.jpg

Thanks for the insight and feedback. Especially since the customer service is nonexistent at Castle Forbes. I sent an email and a separate inquiry through their site last Sunday, no response yet.
I was hoping Gentlemen's Cologne would be more of a year-round, versatile scent, if you know what I mean. After researching and reading your comments in another thread, Keig seems more suited for me. I live in South Carolina, and I prefer to have fresh, citrus, clean type scents.
Any suggestion of where to purchase when I decide? I know Pasteur and Maggards carry the line, but it never hurts to ask.
Thanks again!

@sarimento1 ;

Errr - Joe Cocker was born in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England. Not Welsh by any normal definition of the word, and Wikipedia shows no connection whether by blood or inclination between him and the land of our fathers. There are enough great Welsh singers without having to award them any English voices.

FarmerTan

Errr - Joe Cocker was born in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England. Not Welsh by any normal definition of the word, and Wikipedia shows no connection whether by blood or inclination between him and the land of our fathers. There are enough great Welsh singers without having to award them any English voices.
I am sorry! I thought he was from Wales. Apologies my friend.

Fun fact that I just 50% made up: @FarmerTan and Tom Jones both have had laundry thrown at them — albeit for different reasons, probably.

I would be very interested in a couple of these CF fragrances as they sound up my alley, but I've never (not even once) worn anything beyond a splash. I find even aftershave often too powerful and (sometimes) so everlasting that I'm having a hard time imagining adding even more. My loss, no doubt :(

FarmerTan

Fun fact that I just 50% made up: @FarmerTan and Tom Jones both have had laundry thrown at them — albeit for different reasons, probably.

I would be very interested in a couple of these CF fragrances as they sound up my alley, but I've never (not even once) worn anything beyond a splash. I find even aftershave often too powerful and (sometimes) so everlasting that I'm having a hard time imagining adding even more. My loss, no doubt :(
I know that you will find this hard to believe my friend, my being a gentleman 99.999997% of the time, but I have not only had used laundry thrown at me by my lovely War Department, but on more than one occasion I have had wet dish rags thrown at me, and had my face washed with one a time or two as well.

She is a hard, hard woman.

Thanks for the insight and feedback. Especially since the customer service is nonexistent at Castle Forbes. I sent an email and a separate inquiry through their site last Sunday, no response yet.
I was hoping Gentlemen's Cologne would be more of a year-round, versatile scent, if you know what I mean. After researching and reading your comments in another thread, Keig seems more suited for me. I live in South Carolina, and I prefer to have fresh, citrus, clean type scents.
Any suggestion of where to purchase when I decide? I know Pasteur and Maggards carry the line, but it never hurts to ask.
Thanks again!
Some of the online sites carry Castle Forbes. Classic Shaving and West Coast Shaving used to carry CF.
Keig is great for warm weather. A citrus scent with some lasting power. ALL the CF colognes last a long time on me.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I tried it earlier this summer. I had samples of the Gentleman's Cologne, 1445, and Keig. Of the 3, I liked the 1445 the best, but not enough to buy a bottle. The Gentlemen's Cologne was a citrus fougere, more fruity than Patrick, but in the same general area as Patrick. Also reminded me a bit of Bowling Green, but with that lavender "fern" more to the fore. I think it was parfum strength despite being called "Cologne." I'd take Patrick or Bowling Green over it any day. 1445 was similar to the Gentlemen's, with a toned down citrus. Castle Forbes also has a 'Special Reserve' series. There's a vetiver, a neroli, and a couple of others. I really loved the Neroli and ended up buying a bottle. Similar to Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa.

Top Bottom