What's new

Cast your vote: Middle of the road aggressiveness, modern razor?

Most middle of the road, "5.0" razor?

• ATT R1

• Merkur 37C/39C Slant

• I Kon Slant

• ATT M2

• I Kon Shave Craft 101

• ATT M1

• Weber Polished Head (PH)

• I Kon OC

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
This poll is to supplement the B&B Modern Razor Aggressiveness Scale post:
[http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/407692-B-amp-B-Modern-Razor-Aggressiveness-Scale]

Towards that Aggressiveness Scale, it would be helpful if we could establish a middle point reference from this secondary public opinion poll.

On the scale of 1 (our least aggressive reference point is the Feather AS-D1) to 10 (our most aggressive reference point is the Muhle R41 2011) ... which of these modern razors do you think of as the most middle-of-the-road "5.0" aggressiveness?

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please don't vote on the quality of the razor ... but rather on which razor would you recommend to a member if they wanted to try a true, most middle-of-the-road (in terms of aggressiveness) razor:

Please only vote for a razor which you have personally tried.

Also please elaborate on any "Other" votes (or qualifications of any kind to whatever your vote) in the replies below.

Last edited:
I'd love to participate in this poll, but it wouldn't feel right to me since I've only used 3 of the razors listed. I'm interested in seeing what the results are. Hopefully, only people who have used all the razors vote on it so that it's more accurate results.

I'd love to participate in this poll, but it wouldn't feel right to me since I've only used 3 of the razors listed. I'm interested in seeing what the results are. Hopefully, only people who have used all the razors vote on it so that it's more accurate results.

For the purposes of the Aggressiveness Scale, it would be perfectly fine if we had two or even three approximately "5.0" razors ... hopefully that will help to mitigate the fact that relatively few people have used all of these razors.

Having used 3 from this list is probably more than many of our members have tried. Please vote! I've only used 3 myself, and I cast my vote. I believe the more votes we have the more validity the conclusions will have.

Or am I missing something? Please elaborate if I am.

Also, please vote in the parent thread if you haven't already! :)

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/407692-B-amp-B-Modern-Razor-Aggressiveness-Scale

Well, I have no idea what any of the ATT system feels like or any of the slants. I've tried the Weber, iKon OC and Shavecraft. Of those 3, I'd say the SB side of the Shavecraft was pretty middle of the road, with the Weber falling between the SB and OC sides of the Shavecraft and the iKon OC being the more aggressive of them. All three of those are pretty much a 5 on my scale though and only would differ by tenths.

See ... this is what I (and other people) have been saying ... In the other thread someone classified the R1 plate well above the R41 2013, now here two people already voted they think this same plate is a middle of the road razor ...

I would vote for my Jagger DE89Lbl or my 1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable (set at 5). That's why I voted above for "Other". And why so many Ikon's and ATT's listed? Also, this is the first time I've seen anyone mention "ATT". What is it?

See ... this is what I (and other people) have been saying ... In the other thread someone classified the R1 plate well above the R41 2013, now here two people already voted they think this same plate is a middle of the road razor ...

Theoretically at least, if we have a large enough sample size, the outlying extremes will cancel out, and "the truth will rise to the top" (roughly quoting somebody from the other thread on that). The trick here is of course in getting enough people to vote so we can accurately identify the outliers.

Here’s an analogy:
I believe if I were to ask 1,000 people which painkiller is more aggressive, a few would likely put a prescription dose of ibuprofen above morphine … because some people have bodies that react differently from the norm. But that patient would probably be considered an outlier … with the general consensus still being that morphine is a more aggressive painkiller.

If you took Rx doses of aspirin, acetaminophen, Vicodin, ibuprofen, morphine, and others into a big survey ... you would get variances on which painkiller people thought worked best on them. However, even so you could still likely draw from this public opinion poll that painkiller X is more aggressive than painkiller Y. And while the scientific community would prefer to have controlled double-blind case studies … in the end both methodologies would likely produce a fairly similar list of painkiller rankings.

Also, I don’t think most painkiller studies use objectively measurable data. They usually just ask the patient before and after taking the dose how much pain they are in using a 1 to 10 rating scale something like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pain_scale#Numeric_Rating_Scale

In the same way, I'm hoping that we can get enough people to vote on this and the other thread so that we can eventually have a list that people can look at and say that most people consider this (or these) razors to be the very mildest ... and most people consider this (these) razors to be middle of the road ... and most shavers consider this(these) razors to be the most aggressive on the market. I think a lot of people would find that useful....

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Shawnsel

I would vote for my Jagger DE89Lbl or my 1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable (set at 5). That's why I voted above for "Other". And why so many Ikon's and ATT's listed? Also, this is the first time I've seen anyone mention "ATT". What is it?

Hi ArmyMedicDad,

The razors being voted on above are from the other thread's 4.0 through 6.0 aggressiveness range. If we get a lot more others saying Merkur 34 or EJ89 then I'll probably have to do a 2nd poll to include them.

ATT stands for Above The Tie. They make sort of a stainless steel razor system where you can match any of 6 baseplates (3 OC and 3 SB each at different aggression levels) with any of three handles. I gave each baseplate its own listing because each are generally regarded as significantly different in terms of aggressiveness.

I Kon similarly makes quite a few models with 3 current baseplates plus the slant and shavecraft. Each I Kon listed has a different degree of aggressiveness to it.

Similarly, Merkur could eventually be listed in the other thread like over 20 times if I can get votes from Vision, Futur, and Progress users for each of the adjustable settings.

Edwin Jagger I believe makes many razor handles, but I think they only make the one DE89 head (which is shared by the Muhle 89) ... so regardless of the handle, I think most people find all EJs provide a similar aggressiveness level.

Also, I'm trying to stick to just currently manufactured models to keep this initial ranked list of razors short and manageable (and feasible).

Does that answer your questions and make sense? Please ask if you have questions.

Cheers!
Shawnsel

The trick here is of course in getting enough people to vote

You need votes, eh? You could try to bribe the Mods, look what they did here :

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/406977-Poll-Test

They have the power to make anything they want become "the truth" ... ermmm ... on a second thought, better not, people will vote! :001_smile

Seriously, I would help you, but the vintage bug bit me too soon, and I haven't tried many modern razors, currently only own 2 of those.

You need votes, eh? You could try to bribe the Mods, look what they did here :

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/406977-Poll-Test

They have the power to make anything they want become "the truth" ... ermmm ... on a second thought, better not, people will vote! :001_smile

Seriously, I would help you, but the vintage bug bit me too soon, and I haven't tried many modern razors, currently only own 2 of those.

Yeah ... I'd really prefer honest votes :)

And thanks!

For me, the edwin jagger DE89 is slightly more aggressive than the Merkur HD and is the perfect middle of the road aggressive modern razor. As always YMMV.

It is appearing that we have sufficient consensus to call the Merkur 37C/39C Slant the averaged out "5.0" midpoint reference on our aggressiveness scale?

Any disagreements? Please vote!!

While I do think this poll may be influenced by which razor has been most widely used ... I don't think that bias is really a weakness, as having the 5.0 reference point be a commonly used razor should be very helpful in collecting more data in the full list at:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/407692-B-amp-B-Modern-Razor-Aggressiveness-Scale

Ooops. It appears that the true middle of my 1.0 to 10.0 scale is "5.5" ... not 5.0: :oops:

10.0Extremely Aggressive9
9.5Extremely Aggressive8
9.0Very Aggressive7
8.5Very Aggressive6
8.0Aggressive5
7.5Aggressive4
7.0Slightly Aggressive3
6.5Slightly Aggressive2
6.0Moderate1
5.5Moderate0
5.0Moderate-1
4.5Slightly Mild-2
4.0Slightly Mild-3
3.5Mild-4
3.0Mild-5
2.5Very Mild-6
2.0Very Mild-7
1.5Extremely Mild-8
1.0Extremely Mild-9

Note: the chart shows 9 steps above 5.5, and 9 steps below....

So, I guess I will be using the final, 30-day outcome of this poll for defining the "5.5" middle-of-the-road razor(s).

Cheers,
Shawnsel

Last edited:
Top Bottom