What's new

Cast Iron

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Yep... now my #4 gets used mostly for cornbread and sadly not that often. Haven't made pancakes in ages so the griddle along with the stack helps keep the cabinets from floating away.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
Love that griddle, Mick. Would love to get one.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I meant to add that I'm not sure I remember how to make cornbread in anything but my 8" Lodge skillet.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Both the wife and I have some arthritis issues and I broke my left wrist in three places some years back, so the weight can be an issue. We have a skillet from the Field Company - less weight, more money!

There are some things that simply must be cooked in the cast iron.

Reactions: Avi
Big fan of old cast iron. I view it as one of the few kitchen items that are truly BIFL. Love the refurbishing process as much as using. I have a swelling collection of skillets and a Staub dutch oven. One of my favorite pieces is a trivet of the NC state seal.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
26cm Le Creuset shallow casserole

IMG_20170507_112934_edit_800_600.jpg

IMG_20170507_112858_800_600.jpg

Le Creuset Marmitout

IMG_20170507_113017_edit_800_600.jpg
IMG_20170507_113135_edit_800_600.jpg

I've been meaning to get one of those reversible grill plate thingies for some time, but haven't done it yet.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I have a number 8 Griswold with lid that we use at least once a week. How are you guys seasoning your pans? I accidentally burned the finish off mine last week and I'm trying to get it back going again.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have a number 8 Griswold with lid that we use at least once a week. How are you guys seasoning your pans? I accidentally burned the finish off mine last week and I'm trying to get it back going again.

It's not down to the raw grey iron is it?

Put the skillet on the stove on high heat until it starts to lightly smoke. Careful, it's hot. Turn off the fire, wipe it down with a paper towel coated in Crisco shortening, then as it cools wipe out any of the shortening that "sweats" in the bottom and rub it all down with the sweated oil.

Repeat as needed.

its nice to have a variety for different uses..... all clad, cast iron, nonstick, enameled cast iron dutch oven..... i do a lot of cooking of a variety of ethnic dishes and they each have their purpose. ill say stir frying in the cast iron just isnt as good

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I find that frying up a batch of onions, garlic, and mushrooms in a bit of oil does a great job of maintaining the pan.

15933096774416840534709767394904.jpg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Oh, yeah. Off the top of my head...

Two woks
skillets from #5 to #14
stovetop dutch oven
chicken fryer/deep skillet
deep fryer
camp dutch ovens from #5 to #14
several griddles
muffin pans
waffle iron
cornbread stick pan
cornbread wedge pan (and we use a #8 skillet most...)
pie irons
panini iron
bacon presses
several aebelskiver pans
pizza pan/round griddle
bundt pan (ever eat a 15-pound fruitcake?)
melting pot

I think that's it. Most of it, anyway. Lodge, Griswold, Birmingham, and Camp Chef for the most part. We used to do chuckwagon-style dinners every year for about 60 or 70 of our friends during the Sturgis Rally. Every year we'd do big kettles of Rattlesnake and Buffalo Chili -- buffalo from a neighbouring ranch, and freshly harvested rattlers off our place. Fresh biscuits and cornbread for them as use it. Four or five kinds of pies.

My wife's genes are from Arkansas, she lives for cornbread. If there ain't cast iron on the stove (the electric or the wood cookstove inside, in the fire pit or on the big cooker outside) then somebody ain't started cookin' the next meal yet.

O.H.

We have a few in the lye bucket right now and some waiting their turn to get in. We don't collect per se, but we have a large block logo Griswold #9 dutch oven with lid (no trivite!) that we don't really use. It's just too big. And a couple of pieces that we inherited from my family. We don't worry too much about coddling a pan's seasoning - we use metal spatulas - it's easy enough to get it back in shape. Just use it.

We just picked up a Wagner muffin pan, it's so nice for corn muffins, I've made corn muffins in it twice now, so it's a keeper.

Modern cast iron is a shame. I guess if they made thin wall, smooth finished inside cast iron these days, it would be priced like La Creuset.

-jim

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I bake my sourdough in cast iron Dutch ovens. Pepper steak gets square cast iron pan treatment.I have a Le Creuset cast iron wok my sister got me 20+ years ago as a wedding gift.....amazing tool. Cast iron fan!

Top Bottom