What's new

Cast Iron

Are there any other cast iron fans around?

I am quick becoming a fan. I just recently picked up a small cast iron skillet made by Masterclass from Home Goods for under $10. Not top of the line I am sure, but I have made a few things in it thus far and I am enjoying the experimentation.

Here is something I just pulled out of the oven.

20210626_103343.jpg

I followed an herbed skillet bread recipe from The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook. But, I added some minced fresh basil in addition to the fresh rosemary from our herb garden.

20210626_104845.jpg

The bread is crusty on the outside and soft on the inside with a wonderful flavor. This recipe is a keeper as far as I am concerned.

Tim

Last edited:
How did you get the rust out of your pan? Sandpaper?

Thanks!

If the pan is reasonably grease free, soak it in molasses solution*. If it is greasy that needs to be cleaned off first. Get a container big enough to fully submerse the pan in that holds at least 5 gallons of water. Fill it with water and dump in a jar of the cheapest store brand molasses you can find, cover, and set it where it gets direct sun and hot. Wait a few days to a week and all the rust will be gone. This is an old farmer's trick for rusty tools. It works best in warm weather for speed but will also work in cold weather over a long time period.

*I don't use cast-iron much anymore but if I see a good piece at a yard sale I will grab it. I wait until I get enough pieces to fill up a 12 gallon tote then do this all at once.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
If the pan is reasonably grease free, soak it in molasses solution*.

I used to use this when restoring old barn lanterns. It'll take old rusty tin and make it clean as a whistle.

For severely rusted iron I'll usually set up an electrolysis bath. Fortunately razors have somewhat cut back on my Lamp Acquisition Disorder and Cast Iron Acquisition Disorder. :)

O.H.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
About a week ago I figured I'd try cast iron. I bought the 8 inch Lodge with the duck pattern on the back at Walmart. I like it, I'm going to buy a 12 next.

One thing I'll say about the Lodge #12 skillet. It's a big boy. We have one that we use often, but on the electric stove you have to be a bit careful because the pan is a lot bigger than the element. That'll give you a nice hot spot in the centre of the pan if you're not paying attention. Heat it up slowly so that the heat has a chance to go out farther. I like to give it about 10 minutes on medium low to get the iron well warm, then turn it up to medium to cook. Since it's so much bigger than the element I don't go over medium high with it.

In the winter we use it on the wood cookstove, where it's a really great pan because the top of the stove heats the whole pan.

I've also used it over the gas burner on the propane grill. Gas burners will spread the heat a bit more than electric.

O.H.

Only cast iron, carbon steel or stainless in my kitchen. Stainless for pots, carbon (& cast) for woks, and frying pans & dutch ovens cast.
No teflon here!
I agree about heating up slowly. My tortilla & pancake pan was put on high & it cracked. Now it can’t be used for pancakes [emoji1642] anymore. [emoji3064]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday.

I use stainless as well but most of our meals are cooked in a cast iron skillet. I bake bread and pizza in the oven with cast iron and I use an 8" one as a comal for making tortillas. I love everything about a cast iron skillet. Don't wanna clean it right away? Who cares. It's non stick and the longer it sits, the easier it is to clean. Wanna keep the flavor of your seasoned skillet? Don't get it wet, just wipe it down. Stovetop, campfire, gas oven, brick oven, stick it in the ground... You could probably seal a lid on it and drop it from space and the heat from re-entering the atmosphere would make us a nice chicken and rice dish by the time it landed.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
About a week ago I figured I'd try cast iron. I bought the 8 inch Lodge with the duck pattern on the back at Walmart. I like it, I'm going to buy a 12 next.

I'll reiterate that the 12-inch Lodge is a hoss and takes some particular care to use without warping it. A good way to heat it up is in the oven.

I think a while back Costco had a 10" and 12" Lodge set for close to the same price with silicone handle covers, and I didn't jump at it--I should have. I can't say I've heard of Tramontina but I'd bet as long as you took care of them they'll last a good, long while.

I've used cast iron a little bit for years, but never got really involved with it or educated about it. Had a modern "sandpaper" finished factory seasoned (like lodge, but even rougher textured), and then snagged a Made in Korea 10 3/4" that is quite smooth/well made (not a "Classic" brand, as far as I can tell). It has the three-notched heat ring that supposedly ID it as a vintage lodge (but was made in korea... so maybe a lodge knock off?) Used that for awhile. Got a carbon steel pan and used that a bit before I gave it to my folks for their camper (fairly light weight compared to cast iron).

This weekend I snagged a #10 griswold that was very dirty, but otherwise great, a "5.5QT 8" dutch oven with the stalactites on the lid and a T on the underside of a small lip at the front/back of the pan. Not sure on maker, but seems decently aged, not a recent pan and again, pretty good quality. Also spent $20 on a #8 size with no markings except a heat ring and the Number 8 on it (BSR maybe)? that was REALLY dirty. 5-10mm or caked on charred gunk all over it. Cleaned up nice and it's seasoning now. Also looks real nice quality.

I will say this... do not strip the modern pans (unless they're discontinued or unusually expensive). If the seasoning ever gets screwed up, just discard and buy another one. I stripped my modern one while I was cleaning the new (to me) ones to try and reapply and clean it up a bit... and the texture is DEEP. Like 10-30 grit sandpaper deep. I can't imagine how many coats it would take to get it remotely nonstick again. I'm probably just going to give it to goodwill and let someone else season it.

Also, self cleaning oven cycle worked great. Everything but the outer bottom of the dutch oven came out 100% clean... and it just has a thin layer of gunk that survived. But with 4 pans in there, good lord it smoked. Filled the whole house with fans on and windows open... and it was suffocating and blinding. So definitely make sure you have a big box fan aimed directly out the window nearest your stove.

I love my cast Iron. I use a 12 and a 17 inch skillet regularly.

The 12 usually for bacon and eggs, pancakes, French Toast, and other yummy goodness.

The 17 for bacon (it is a seven slice pan), eggs when I want to do a dozen at a time of fried eggs, steaks in the oven, chicken in the oven, and other baking.

And don't use soap on my pans dog gone it!!!!

I clean mine by melting some bacon grease in the pan, pouring table salt in the pan, and scrubbing with a paper towel. If this doesn't work I use a steel scrubby and hot water. I then dry the pan by putting it on low heat over a burner. once dried I coat with hot bacon grease.

Top Bottom