What's new

Cast iron windfall coming

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Supposedly.

Step-daughter just moved from Dallas to Austin and they are staying in the RV until they find a house there. SWMBO said they didn't want to take it with them and sent the cast iron to me. Sister-in-law has it at her house and SWMBO is going to pick them up this weekend. Supposed to be several pieces of Wagner. We'll see.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Wagner. Nice!

Will go well with my Griswold. Don't know how many pieces there are. They should be in good shape, but when she first got them she watched a YouTube video and took a grinder to the bottom of one of the skillets. SWMBO will probably pick them up when she goes to town this weekend for groceries.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Will go well with my Griswold. Don't know how many pieces there are. They should be in good shape, but when she first got them she watched a YouTube video and took a grinder to the bottom of one of the skillets. SWMBO will probably pick them up when she goes to town this weekend for groceries.
The outside bottom?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Well...there wasn't a Wagner in the bunch. Guess SWMBO didn't know what she was talking about.

Small one is marked CHEFS, the other two are China.

1574547249515.png

1574547287561.png

1574547324642.png

The Dutch Oven is a Farberware, the griddle is stamped Corona, and the big skillet is another China one.

1574547415428.png

1574547454829.png

1574547492076.png

I think I'll strip them down, to see how the new battery charger works on this at 40 amps, see how they take seasoning from scratch, and take them to town to one of the junk, I mean antique, stores and see if I can get a few bucks outa them.

Bummer on the misidentification; but at least you can get some practice with the new charger. I always have pitting issues when I ran higher amperage, but I haven’t tried any cast iron on high amperage.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Bummer on the misidentification; but at least you can get some practice with the new charger. I always have pitting issues when I ran higher amperage, but I haven’t tried any cast iron on high amperage.

From what I've read, 35 amp is supposed to be about perfect for cast iron. The charger at 40 amp should work a lot quicker than the old 12 amp one I've used. At least the iron is something I'm not concerned about and can play with. Now I have to get out the Rubbermaid tub and the channel iron piece I use as an anode. I still have a bunch of swimming pool ph balancer for the sodium carbonate.

Top Bottom