What's new

cast iron seasoning

Once again I'm faced with "not sure what I'm doing" challenge. I have never had trouble seasoning cast iron before now. I lightly wiped my 2favorite skillets with crisco, put them in the oven at 250 degrees for 2 hours then waited till the next morning allowing them to cool down with the oven before removing them. They came out spotted and sticky. I have a new stove that is electric. Would that be the problem? I used a oven thermometer to make sure the temp. Was correct. Did the process against with the same results. Never had this problem before. But I always had a gas stove before. So once again I have turned to the best place I know for help. And ant help will be greatly appreciated.

I am far from an expert, but I have done a few. Sounds like you are experienced, also. From what I have read, if the Crisco is too thick, it can get clumpy. Also, did you put them upside down to prevent pooling?

After investigating this topic a while back, I found a lot of conflicting advice. The approach that made most sense to me is that higher temperature is better. The goal is to carbonize the coating. It sounds like your low-temp approach was giving you good results, though -- I'm hard put to see what other variables there could be.

Sounds like you're using too much crisco. I'd try heating the pan, wiping crisco over then wipe off as much as you can to leave a very, very thin layer

First your temp is to low, step it up to 375, smoke point on Crisco is 360. Leave the skillet in there for 15 minutes take it out and wipe it to get any pooling off the pan. Let it go for a couple hours after that then let it cool down.

That should get rid of any spotting and or any sticky finish.

Okay. Used easy off oven cleaner to strip the old seasoning off, man did that work good! Inside looks new. Now I'm going to preseason the skillet with a light coat of Crisco and put it on/ in the gas grill inside down for an hour on high setting . hthanks for everyone's help and advice. This is one of the best parts about this site, no matter what you are trying to do, some body knows how to do it best. Thanks again!

Do not to forget to cook bacon in the skillet every once and awhile to help "refresh" the seasoning. Or re season on Janurary 1 of every years itch shortening like Alton Brown recommends.

Top Bottom