What's new

Cast iron season question

well i recommended coconut oil due to its very high saturated fat content thus high smoke point.. :) . it also wont go rancid and such

Also i cook everything in coconut oil so thats probbably the main reason lol

I recently used Crisco to season a skillet-seemed ok. I agree, tons of bacon and USE is the best seasoning.

If using Crisco, MELT IT before applying.

Flaxseed oil has been getting alot of love recently for seasoning.

Just use it as much as you can. My 20 year old Lodge pans are just starting to get good. I say this because I have some that are 100+ years old and they are much, much slicker. Use them as much as you possibly can and reseason them often; you won't be disappointed.

well i recommended coconut oil due to its very high saturated fat content thus high smoke point.. :) . it also wont go rancid and such

Only the refined coconut oil has a high smoke point. The unrefined oil smoke point is low.

Only the refined coconut oil has a high smoke point. The unrefined oil smoke point is low.

yea you are right, i was misinformed on the smoke point part, but the rest is true :) . i currently season it at about 360ish i think with unrefined coconut oil. doesnt smoke badly enough to bother me and works quite well.

Thanks again for the correction mmack66

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
If you are rubbing oil on and then store it for months you might worry about the oil going rancid. If you use it a couple of times a week I'd not worry too much. The nice black finish is pretty much carbon . .. it is not going to go rancid. If you have a brown sticky finish . .. well that is still pretty much oil and will go bad.

For me the jury is still out with flax oil. I will say that it is one of the more stinky oils to use. I've been using it for about 6 months to maintain my finish but had some issues with flaking off on some pans when I started using it. Nice to season your cast iron outside on the BBQ for the initial finish if you can.

+1 to this... especially if you are not cooking meat. The saturated oils from meat help season, but coconut oil does the same thing if you aren't cooking meat.

Also... don't clean it in water!!! Just scrub the pan with shortening and big grain salt.

I use hot running water and a stiff brush to clean out my cast iron. No problems. The water being hot is important so that the iron gets warmed up and dries completely after being wiped down. The brush does a great job without the need of salt most of the time.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I heat to mine to almost smoking after using and give it a light wipe of oil to reseason. Do the same with my wok.

I use hot running water and a stiff brush to clean out my cast iron. No problems. The water being hot is important so that the iron gets warmed up and dries completely after being wiped down. The brush does a great job without the need of salt most of the time.

+1

Top Bottom