What's new

cashmere vs. synbad knot

So, I have used most synthetic brushes and for the most part, they all perform pretty good. The newest knot I have tried is the silksmoke and i prefer it to the tuxedo and plissoft and maybe even all black boss knot. I've tried the timberwolf knot which may be what they call a boss knot. my favorite so far is the silksmoke knot and I also like the synthetic horse hair knot. 2 knots I have not tried are the cashmere and synbad. anyone on here have any experiences with any of these knots in the 24-30mm knot size? which one is softer, has more backbone? is one superior to the other? I am eyeing either a 30mm cashmere or 30mm synbad brush. Don't know which one to pick.

I have both of them in the 30mm sizes and they are great brushes. I think of the cashmere as carrying the best charecteristics of a well broken in boar brush. Unlike a boar brush however, it does not soak up lather when ithasn't been used in a while.

It's softer than the synbad also. The synbad is close to being badger like w/o being a badger. Splay, backbone w/o scritch are evident. However, like most synthetics, it does suffer in heat retention.

If these brushes had been around at the beginning of my wetshave journey, I'm not sure that I would even own any badgers or boars.

marty

I stayed away from synthetics for over 15 years because they just felt awful. Plastic-y, hard, no "real" splay, wiry feel, no heat retention, and G_d-awful sickening colors! When I recently read the Sharpologist article on synthetics, and because I have everything I need in badger, boar, and horse...I was still looking to buy what "I needed" to complete my B.A.D. out of the synth world. So, thankfully I read, and re-read that article, and I settled on a SilkSmoke, and a SynBad, both, from APShave Co. off Etsy. BTW, most run-of-the-mill synths are going to be 24mm by default. They say that it's the sweet-spot for their characteristics. Read the article, and make your own decisions after that.

I have both of them in the 30mm sizes and they are great brushes. I think of the cashmere as carrying the best charecteristics of a well broken in boar brush. Unlike a boar brush however, it does not soak up lather when ithasn't been used in a while.

It's softer than the synbad also. The synbad is close to being badger like w/o being a badger. Splay, backbone w/o scritch are evident. However, like most synthetics, it does suffer in heat retention.

If these brushes had been around at the beginning of my wetshave journey, I'm not sure that I would even own any badgers or boars.

marty
can you tell me which knot you like better if you had to pick? do you prefer one over the other?

I stayed away from synthetics for over 15 years because they just felt awful. Plastic-y, hard, no "real" splay, wiry feel, no heat retention, and G_d-awful sickening colors! When I recently read the Sharpologist article on synthetics, and because I have everything I need in badger, boar, and horse...I was still looking to buy what "I needed" to complete my B.A.D. out of the synth world. So, thankfully I read, and re-read that article, and I settled on a SilkSmoke, and a SynBad, both, from APShave Co. off Etsy. BTW, most run-of-the-mill synths are going to be 24mm by default. They say that it's the sweet-spot for their characteristics. Read the article, and make your own decisions after that.
I have the silksmoke and it's probably my favorite knot out of all of the synthetic brushes I've tried and used. Do you prefer the silksmoke over the synbad if you had to pick between the two?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm far from an expert on these or other synthetics but I've read that how deep the knots are set greatly impacts their characteristics and performances. This information comes from various sources including members who set their knots at various depths in their brushes.

4-6-20.FatipGentileSlant.Evo.Vitos.640.JPG

The only synthetic I have purchased in a very long time is the Omega Evo. I solicited information to help me decide which synthetic brush to buy, getting loads of great information in the process. You might find what people told me interesting. Here's the link to that thread.

BTW, I like the Omega Evo. It's a good brush, and I don't just mean good for a synthetic.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I face lather. Would the cashmere or synbad be a better knot for face lathering in your opinion?

I have both and have tried both face and bowl lathering.
20200401_151046~2.jpg

L-R:
AP Shave Co. 24mm Synbad
Mr. Fine 24mm Angel
Yaqi 24mm Cashmere
AP Shave Co. 24mm Cashmere

Both Cashmere and Synbad are great for bowl lathering.

I give Synbad a slight advantage for face lathering.

Both are excellent synthetic brushes.

YMMV :)

can you tell me which knot you like better if you had to pick? do you prefer one over the other?

If i was only going to pick one, it would be the Synbad with a miniscule edge over the Cashmere. Why?

I have both and have tried both face and bowl lathering.
View attachment 1084560
L-R:
AP Shave Co. 24mm Synbad
Mr. Fine 24mm Angel
Yaqi 24mm Cashmere
AP Shave Co. 24mm Cashmere

Both Cashmere and Synbad are great for bowl lathering.

I give Synbad a slight advantage for face lathering.

Both are excellent synthetic brushes.

YMMV :)

Exactly! The Cashmere is no slouch in the face lathering dept though, as I use all my brushes for face lathering. The Synbad has a different feel when face lathering that I really like.

marty

If i was only going to pick one, it would be the Synbad with a miniscule edge over the Cashmere. Why?

Exactly! The Cashmere is no slouch in the face lathering dept though, as I use all my brushes for face lathering. The Synbad has a different feel when face lathering that I really like.

marty
I can’t comment on the Cashmere knots but I’d echo this. I don’t think you can go wrong with either. I have two Synbads and I’m always surprised on how much I love em. I started with a horse synthetic and liked that. That pushed me to buy the two Synbads. I’m glad I did. I’m waiting to pick up a cashmere. Maybe for my birthday?

Top Bottom