What's new

Case Restoration?

Anyone ever restore a case like this? It's pretty cool as is but it is brassing a little. Can a case like this be re-plated or are there too many moving parts (e.g. hinges, latches, etc) or should I just clean and polish it as is? How about the interior? As you can see, the top's missing altogether and the bottom's looking a little worn. Anyone ever redo one of these?

I say try some silver polish on the outside of the box first. I think you'll be surprised at how well it will come out.

- Chris

Yes, you could re-plate with nickel or chrome depending on what it's already plated in...But I'd be worried about the plating freezing up all the moving parts. Plus I bet that would be expensive!

You might try simply polishing it up, cleaning it, and coating the brass with a lacquer or a coat of oil to try to keep it from getting tarnished. That way you don't make any permanent changes to something thats probably got some collector value.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I think the safe bet is just cleaning it up and seeing how it comes out. I'm not so concerned about the collectable value of the set. I bought it more with personal use in mind. That said, anyone familiar with replating, I'd still be interested in knowing the real risks of freezing up hinges and the like.

Anybody ever replace the material in a case? Looks like it's just a thin velvet type material glued onto thin cardboard and glued into the case. Once again, I'm not so concerned in retaining the original materials for "investment" purposes. As you can see, the material's pretty shot anyway.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks guys. Yeah, I think the safe bet is just cleaning it up and seeing how it comes out. I'm not so concerned about the collectable value of the set. I bought it more with personal use in mind. That said, anyone familiar with replating, I'd still be interested in knowing the real risks of freezing up hinges and the like.

Anybody ever replace the material in a case? Looks like it's just a thin velvet type material glued onto thin cardboard and glued into the case. Once again, I'm not so concerned in retaining the original materials for "investment" purposes. As you can see, the material's pretty shot anyway.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Someone on here did reline a case, but I can't seem to find the thread. I'll keep looking and searching. If I find it, I'll post it here. Basically all he did was cut and tac glue the new material in. It came out pretty good actually.

You can find those cases every now and again in pretty good shape, so I wouldn't go to too much trouble in trying to replate it or reline it, but a good clean up and polish can work wonders. The age and dings in the product give it an air of charm and authenticity as a collectable item.

Relining isn't difficult. Go to a fabric store and find a close match velvet. I picked some up at Hancock for $7 a yard, enough to reline 30-40 cases. Also pick up a can of 3M 77 spray adhesive, about $12 at Home Depot. It works well for bonding fabric to metal and is more waterproof than craft or fabric glues.

Remove the tray from the case and strip the fabric. Sand off any rust and give it a good cleaning (the fabric won't adhere well to a rusted surface, and rust will rapidly discolor the fabric if a lighter color; same for the outer shell and hinge if needed). Rough cut and dry fit the fabric, then spray the metal tray (not the fabric or it will stiffen). Let it stand about 5 minutes to get tacky, then hand apply the fabric being careful to avoid bunching or wrinkling (not as difficult as it sounds). Trim the excess, let it cure and then put it all back together.

Here is a New Federal case I relined today. A nickel plated New is going in it, so I made no attempt to match the original tan color. The velvet is actually jet black even though it looks a bit purple in the pic. Obviously I still have the exterior to go.

$2013-12-20 17.59.35.jpg

Top Bottom