What's new

Carving a couple Pipes. Maybe.

Greetings, fellow disciples of the leaf! Another thread jarred loose a question that has been knocking around my skull for a while, and I would like your input on it before I proceed.
As the title implies, I've gotten the crazy idea to carve a couple pipes, upon request from my brother. Not just any briar, though; I've been offered several sections of whitetail deer antler to use in the project. The idea so far is to carve the bowls from antler, then fit them with pre-made acrylic bits. Given the natural dimensions, the finished pipes would likely end up being poker-ish in design, perhaps finished simply with beeswax. I have experience carving wood, antler, and bone, but one question still troubles me: Namely, how would an antler-bowled pipe smoke? I've loved my low-end briars, cobs, and my one meerschaum, but I genuinely have no idea how it would work.
Any input is appreciated. Many thanks!

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
If the pipe is drilled well it should smoke fine, but beyond that the actual material may pose some problems. I would imagine that being made of keratin, the pipes would give off a burning hair smell.

I have a cob modified by Jake Hackert with and antler shank and vulcanite stem, that I like a lot, but the temperature of the smoke inside the stem is well below that of the fire inside the chamber. Something along that line might be a better way to go.

Top Bottom