What's new

Cartridges vs SE

Hi all,
I've been SE user for quite a while now last few years I've been using Asylum RX with Feather, after trying many other SE, starting with Cobra. Considering trying Vector SE.
In December, I needed to travel for a week on a very short notice, so I did what I didnt do for a very long time, went to a pharmacy and bought newest Fusion Power razor , one with a ball, with single Proglide 5 cartridge and travel size caned foam, since I didn't have any checin luggage to put razors.
I have to admit with shame :), I got excellent BBS shaves without any irritation, which easily rival my best shaves with Asylum SE, Feather Pro, badger brush and a very good soap. I am still reaching to Fusion when I am in a hurry morning, and the single cartridge I got with the razor still shaves perfectly nearly two month later. I have average, in term of toughness and density beard, but still need to shave daily.
I haven't used cartridges for ages. Is it possiblethat the cartridge echnology advanced so much in latest 10-15 years that it now finally makes traditional shaving redundant, in terms of quality of the final result, not speaking about experience/process ? Any one else with similar experience?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Carts can and do give a very good shave; quick, easy, and almost impossible to cut yourself. If it works and you like it then do it. I will stick with the more traditional shaving and reserve Bic metal disposables for when I travel with carry on luggage. In terms of the quality of the result perhaps carts do make traditional shaving slightly redundant but there is more to it than that. For me, shaving is much more than simply a utilitarian function of beard reduction and removal.

I keep a Lidl own brand 5 blader in my rotation. Very cheap and it does give and excellent shave. Use it perhaps one in every six shaves. Had it over a year and I'm still on the original blade and it still cuts well! I keep thinking I should put a new cartridge in but it is still good.

They have come on leaps and bounds over the years.

Gareth

If you use the same approach to using carts as you do with your SEs, (multiple passes, WTG, ATG, XTG) it doesn't surprise me that you're having success with them. The multiblade cart instructions of yesteryear (and maybe of today, I haven't bothered to look) said to start against the grain, which led to much discomfort, pulling and irritation. When I travel with a cart I use the same number of directional passes as I do with my SE/DE razors to good effect.

I travel with a Harry’s razor most often. They give good shaves, the cartridges are fairly inexpensive and it is TSA friendly. I have also been known to travel with a travel Ball End Tech or a Baili TTO in checked baggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom