What's new

Cartridge to R41 to Cut-Throat

Shave 372 and about 8 or 9 on the Friodur. Lathered with Tabac soap and a Simpsons badger with a short loft. I can’t seem to get the Friodur right at the minute. It’s very sharp but leaves my face a bit red, and irritated plus today I got cut by the Cupid’s bow, just a small slice but deep.
Even stropping it it has a slightly scrapey sound. I though that just continuing to shave with it would smooth it out but this hasn’t been the case. I wonder if the nick I honed out of the blade is still there. Gotta check with the loup.

Shave 373 and 4 on the Bengal.
Lathered for the final time with the last of the tub of TOBS Eton College cream and the big Yaqi Badger.
What a lovely brush the two band Yaqi Moca is it just feels lovely and springy on the face like it’s made of deep mossy green grass.
I was a bit pushed for time today so just 3 passes which including building a lather, then shaving, then cleaning and drying the razor took me about 25 mins. I got a great shave but not the perfection and soft feel which a good 4 pass shave delivers. Still can’t complain, I had a nice splash of Proraso Red and off I went.

Shave 373 and 4 on the Bengal.
Lathered for the final time with the last of the tub of TOBS Eton College cream and the big Yaqi Badger.
What a lovely brush the two band Yaqi Moca is it just feels lovely and springy on the face like it’s made of deep mossy green grass.
I was a bit pushed for time today so just 3 passes which including building a lather, then shaving, then cleaning and drying the razor took me about 25 mins. I got a great shave but not the perfection and soft feel which a good 4 pass shave delivers. Still can’t complain, I had a nice splash of Proraso Red and off I went.

I used my Muhle R41 today and what a terrible shave.
I got weepers and nicks and cuts everywhere, my face feels really stingy and a few hours later the hair was growing back. If these DE blades are reportedly so sharp compared to straights how come the hair grows back so quick? How come it cuts and nicks my face but doesn’t give as long lasting a shave?

Reactions: MO1
I used my Muhle R41 today and what a terrible shave.
I got weepers and nicks and cuts everywhere, my face feels really stingy and a few hours later the hair was growing back. If these DE blades are reportedly so sharp compared to straights how come the hair grows back so quick? How come it cuts and nicks my face but doesn’t give as long lasting a shave?
I feel you. I'm too scared to try the DE again, now when I almost got my straight edges dialed in to perfection.
I did a few swipes with the setting on the mildest with the DE with a feather blade in it (it already had 1 shave on the blade) but it's tuggy and feels raw on the skin. Taking into consideration that DE blades are coated for better glide, try imagining an uncoated blade. Must be pure nightmare.

Shave 377 and about 5 or 6 on Gold Dollar A.
A new Yaqi Silvertip Badger brush arrived yesterday from China.
It crossed my mind to just throw the thing straight in the bin without touching it but I had a change of heart this morning. I opened it and took it straight to the bathroom using my elbows to open the doors like a surgeon. I cleaned the handle with hand sanitizer then made a big palm lather with TOBS Sandalwood cream and let it sit there loaded while I stropped the razor and took a shower.
After the shower I rinsed it and sanitized the handle again.
Next I made a face lather with the TOBS and got going. The brush has a nicely shaped handle very comfortable, more so than the big handle of the Yaqi Moca 2-band. The knot is smaller which is mostly why I bought it and this makes it more manageable on my face. It’s dense and feels really soft and springy on the face. First impression is I really like it. I got a great shave from the Gold Dollar and TOBS and has a nice cold rinse and a splash of Proraso Red.
Hopefully I haven’t just contracted this Chinese Coronavirus, time will
tell.
EA8EFA31-99BC-44A9-B382-80A5E82D9F36.jpeg

Shave 379 and 5 on the Bengal.
I lathered with Tobs sandalwood and the new 24mm Yaqi Silvertip Badger with the space blue handle. This is a great brush and the handle is the most comfortable of any of the brushes I’ve got. This brush cost less than £30. If I was advising myself 2 years ago on what to buy for a setup this brush would be top of the list. I’ve got a few badger brushes around the same price and they’re just rubbish in comparison. This thing is brilliant. Dense, soft, luxurious.
I’ve got a brilliant edge on the Bengal at the minute, it’s smooth, sharp and extremely comfortable to use and today gave a great bbs all over shave. I had a splash of Proraso Green then a hit of Penhaligon’s Juniper Sling Cologne.

Shave 381 and 11 on the Friodur. I lathered with a Yaqi Silvertip Badger and tobs hard Sandalwood Shaving soap. After 11 shaves the Friodur is beginning to behave itself. It’s calmed down and isn’t leaving my face Red and irritated. In fact it’s now very smooth to use again. All of my razors are cooling down the more i use them so I think I may have overdone things on the Naniwa 12k. For the future I’ll try just 10 passes and see Joe that goes for me.

I just recently found your thread. Your way from a nervous wreck to a pro straight razor shaver is very impressive to me. I started like you, looked at tons of YT videos and then simply started. I'll stay tuned. Enjoy your shaves.

Shave 382, I used Gold Dollar A, the Yaqi Badger Silvertip and Tabac soap.
It’s a Sunday shave and I wasn’t pressed for time so I took the time to relax and enjoy it. Out of the shower I took the dripping badger from the mug, gave it a shake or two and swirled it clinking for a minute in the white porcelain jar of Tabac. I made a nice thick creamy face lather, the big soft springy brush feeling very luxurious on my face. Canned foam can’t compare to a good quality soap and a warm badger brush. The bathroom spotlights lit up the mirrored edge of my straight razor, I lifted it to my sideburn and pulled it down into the hair. The Gold Dollar has a nice whispery raspy voice and it flowed smoothly down my face, the lather lovely and slick under the blade. I completed the first downward pass and had a nice warm rinse. The straight razor gets the hair directly under the nose like nothing else. I picked up the big brush still full of great lather and lathered up for pass 2 xtg. With the toe of the razor pointing to the ceiling I pulled the big blade sideways rasping across my cheek, chin and top lip, jaw, switched hands then did the opposite side. The edge feels comfortable, gentle, smooth as it glides and cuts around the contours of my face. There’s nothing like it. A nice warm rinse and I relathered, still a ton of lather in the brush. I angled the razor upwards for pass 3 atg. I cut upwards into the stubble, face, neck, chin, top lip, switched hands and did the other side. I enjoy the atg pass the most. I grabbed the bristles and squeezed out a ton of great lather into my hand for my touch up pass. I took my time as I targeted the areas which my 3 passes somehow don’t quite get to. I had a nice warm rinse then a cold one then for a change rubbed a wet alum bar over my face. It stung nicely For a minute then I had another long cold rinse then splashed on palmful of Brut. I really enjoyed my shave this morning and got an amazingly close and silky result.

Hey
I just recently found your thread. Your way from a nervous wreck to a pro straight razor shaver is very impressive to me. I started like you, looked at tons of YT videos and then simply started. I'll stay tuned. Enjoy your shaves.
hey thanks for the message glad you liked the read. It’s definitely been a steep learning curve but very enjoyable and now I, like you, can spoil myself with the best shave possible on planet Earth every morning.

Last edited:
Shave 383 and 12 on the Friodur lathered with Yaqi Silvertip and TOBS Sandalwood cream.
I was in a rush this morning which meant I had 20 mins max for a shave.
I opened the soap and made a quick face lather and got straight into pass one. Smooth and fast pass I relathered and wondered if I should just leave out my xtg pass but experience told me to do it. Relather then a quick atg pass cold rinse, clean and store razor and splash of Proraso. Around 15 mins and I’m gone.

Shave 384 and 13 on the Friodur. I lathered with the Yaqi Silvertip and Proraso Red Soap. I got a great lather from the Proraso today, really full and creamy. The Friodur just felt on it today. It was effortlessly smooth and sharp I could tell as soon as I started shaving. All my passes went well but atg on my chin and top lip I was barely touching the hair and it was removed. Not sure what happened, maybe it took 13 shaves to calm the edge right down after last honing or maybe it was today’s lather or maybe it was me but whatever it was I got a really top class shave. I had a splash of Proraso Red aftershave to seal the deal.

Shave 385 and 14 on the Friodur
Lathered with Yaqi Silvertip badger and Tabac soap.
I made a great lather with the Tabac if I do say so myself, it was creamy and rich and slick. I’m sure this brush I’m using is getting more from the soap than my others. Again the razor was on top form, extremely sharp and smooth. I could tell by the smoothness on each rinse that this would be a great shave and it was. I havent used my bottle of Fine Snakebite aftershave for ages with it being winter but thought I’d give it a go today. Wow this stuff is so icy! But at least it’s cleared my head a bit after a few Lagavulins last night. My face is absolutely smooth and fresh today and when I stepped out into the howling February morning air the snakebite kicked in again and felt like a yeti had suddenly gripped my face in his right hand.

Shave 387and 16 on the Friodur. Lathered with Yaqi Silvertip and Tabac soap. This razor was new old stock. I was told it was made in 1972 (same as me) and has only been used once or twice before it came to me. It was boxed, in beautiful condition. It was made in Germany, It has a big heavy 7/8ths blade and looks like a 1/4 hollow grind. The scales are perfect. It’s stainless steel and once I learned how to hone it and get the best from it I got over 60 shaves and going strong before it somehow picked up a chip. I fixed it then brought it back to a great edge which it has today.
I started my shave today with it, it feels heavy yet balanced in my hand.It’s voice is quiet with a lovely light accent. It gave me a brilliant long lasting shave as it always does. I had a cold rinse then a splash of Proraso Green which is lovely soothing stuff with a great scent.

Shave 389 and 1 on my Thomas Turner & Co.
I haven’t used this blade for a while as I’d honed it on a Naniwa 12k but it wasn’t quite to my liking, a bit tuggy so today being a Sunday I took it back to the Naniwa. I gave it 20 ‘X strokes then 10 or 12 extremely light strokes.
I stropped it 50 times on linen then 100 times on leather.
yesterday I was in a ‘Makind’ shop in the city centre when I noticed a tub of TOBS Jermyn Street at the knock down price of just £2.50. The guy behind the counter said they were getting rid of all their shaving products so I bought 2 tubs for £5. Two tubs of this would normally be about £25 so this was a great bargain. I used it this morning with my Yaqi Silvertip.
9495F722-FFA5-46BA-ADE6-568D25229B79.jpeg

I made a nice face lather and got started. The blade was much keener than last time and did a great easy 4 pass shave. I think it’ll get even smoother over the next few uses. I had a spritz of the great smelling Trumper Sandalwood Cologne. I cleaned and dried the razor and gave it some more time on the linen.

Shave 390 and 6 on the Bengal near wedge.
I lathered with TOBS Jermyn Street and the Yaqi Silvertip Badger brush.
This razor has an unusual feel to it. The first pass it feels smooth but not especially crazy sharp. The second pass feels sharper and closer and still very smooth and on the last pass it feels absolutely bat s**t crazy sharp and still smooth as butter giving an excellent bbs shave.
I had a nice splash of Floid Vigoroso which is lovely stuff.

Shave 391 and 17 on the Friodur. Lathered with TOBS Jermyn st and a Yaqi Silvertip.
Yesterday’s lather had been a bit thin so I made today’s quite thick to see how that would go. The Yaqi badger feels Very nice on the face, big and springy, so much denser and More comfortable than similarly priced badgers which I’ve previously bought which are very weak and floppy and scratchy by comparison. The lather turned out to be a little too thick as it didn’t clean off the edge as easily as it should’ve under the tap but it was otherwise slick and good. Great smooth shave today but I couldn’t resist a run of the alum block which lit my face up real nice. I left it on while I brushed my teeth then rinsed and had a splash of Brut. It felt smooth to the touch but when I walked into the living room my girl asked me ‘who’s butchered your face?’. A look in the mirror saw quite a lot of shaving rash on both cheeks which thankfully calmed down during the next hour. I don’t think alum agrees with me.

Shave 392. I used Gold Dollar A, though I can’t remember how many shaves I’ve done since honing it maybe 6 or 7. I lathered with the Yaqi Silvertip and Tabac soap. This razor has been very smooth for me since last honing, one of my favourites to use. While it may be a cheap razor (mine was actually free) it was easy to hone, just 10 laps on a Naniwa, it’s pleasantly heavy and quite large and has taken a great smooth sharp edge and has held it for many shaves.
Ive used it and it’s brother Gold Dollar ‘B’ to experiment with as well as my other razors. I’ve learned to use lapping films from bevel set to final polish, I’ve experimented with other stones such as welsh slate (which I couldn’t get to work but will revisit) and my Naniwa 12k. I’ve learned to fix small chips and dings. I’ve learned what my face likes in terms of sharpness and mostly how to get it by feel. My advice to anyone starting out would be to have a rotation of 5-8not terrifyingly expensive razors, read the brilliant posts of these forums don’t be scared to fail, don’t be scared of a rough shave and within a year I’m sure that you, like me will be getting outstanding daily shaves and maintaining and sharpening and repairing your own small set of razors.

Shave 393 and 2 on the Turner. Lathered with Proraso Red and Yaqi Silvertip.
The shave today was fine but I can’t help feeling that there’s a little more sharpness to be gotten from the Turners edge. It’s definitely improved since I last touched it up but I don’t think I’ve got it as sharp as my other razors. I got a good bbs shave today but had to work a bit on my top lip So I think a further 10-20 laps on the Naniwa 12k might be in order. I think maybe I may need to lap the Naniwa again too.

Top Bottom