What's new

Cartridge to R41 to Cut-Throat

@Jakebullet , so here are the three Welsh slate from left to right 8k, 12k and 15k. The 15k is always thicker than the 8 and 12k. It's also a really dark stone hence it's name Dark Grey or Green. The 12k is purple and finally the 8k is a light gray.

Their names are respectfully Dragon Tongue (8k), Purple LLYN Melynllyn (12k), and Dark Green/Gray (15k).

Honestly Jake I believe your working with a 12k but I can't be 100% sure. If you could put up a picture of it wet it should be easier!
View attachment 1085366View attachment 1085367
Hey thanks a lot for the help! yeah mine looks the same colour as the 12k your picture, I just did my near wedge on it this morning, my face really seems to like the edge it gives. I’d be keen to try a 15k where did you get it?

Shave 442 and 3 on Gold Dollar B.
Lathered with Speick shave stick and Yaqi Silvertip. These last few days honing has made me appreciate how a straight really let’s you experiment and make an edge that your face likes. Back when I was DE shaving there were lots of blades to try, all a little different and we all have our favourites because no two faces are the same. Some felt rough, some smooth, some too sharp, some not sharp enough. But with a straight you get just one edge to last the lifetime of the razor. The big advantage is that it’s possible to adjust it. To tune it to get it just how your face likes it. I’ve done all my honing on either films or my Naniwa 12k. Even using Cheap films it’s possible to make a massive range of edges. A few extra or fewer laps, a bit more or less pressure, A coarser or finer film, a different substrate, a change in lubricant etc. Then theres natural stones of which there seem loads Of different ones to try and I’m still on my first one. So much variety and so many things to try in search of the perfect edge.
Today’s Welsh Slate honed Gold dollar was extremely nice to my face, smooth and sharp a pleasure to shave with giving a great shave which lasted all day and night. Had a splash of Proraso Red to finish.

Shave 443 and 2 on the film honed ELSINE, lathered with Sterling Margaritas and Yaqi Badger.
Getting good lathers with this stuff lately by leaving a lot of water in the brush it makes the soap wet a glidy if that’s a word. Nice smooth extremely close shave which remained mostly bbs well into the night. The edge is brilliant, comfortable and ruthless. Had a splash of Proraso Green then a bit of Penhaligon’s English Ferm for afters.
Face felt good initially then a little stingy after a walk in a fresh wind then it settled down again.

Shave 444 and 30 on the Friodur.
Lathered with TOBs Sandalwood cream and Yaqi Badger.
I was in a rush today so opted for a quick wtg, atg and touch up pass which I can get done in under 20mins including making the lather and gives me a very good shave but not perfect.
Today’s shave wasn’t brilliant and my face was a little stingy afterwards so I decided to hone the Friodur on films as usual but to try using some notepaper under the 0.3u. So I gave it 20 laps on the 1u then backed the 0.3 with damp paper and did 10 with a little pressure and 10 with absolutely no pressure. My ELSINE is sharp from it’s recent honing but a little stingy so I gave that just 10 laps on the paper backed 0.3u. I gave this fewer laps than the Friodur as it’s a carbon steel and the Friodur is stainless. I also gave my Thomas Turner and co the same treatment as the Friodur as it’s just never been quite right lately. After honing I stropped all three blades up and tried the HHT with a piece of my girls hair. The HHT has never really worked that well for me, sometimes it pings the hair, mostly it doesn’t so I was very surprised today to find the Friodur slicing the very fine hair easily over and over every time the hair touched it. The ELSINE also cut the hair well but not as well as the Friodur and the Thomas Turner didn’t cut any. I know it’s the shave that matters but I’ve never had any razor do the HHT like the Friodur did today so I’m looking forward to using it tomorrow to see what it feels like.

Shave 445 and 1 on the Friodur after honing. Lathered with Palmolive shavestick and Yaqi Silvertip.
Might’ve used a little too much water in the brush as the lather was fine at first but ended up thin at the shaves end. The big shiny Friodur was bristling sharp from the hone and made a great shave. A splash of Tabac nearly burnt my face off. Post shave feel not as great as I expected considering how sharp I’d gotten the razor, might take a few shaves to soften the edge.

Shave 446 and 1 on the ELSINE since a 10 lap touch up on wet paper backed 0.3u film lathered with Bodyshop maca root cream and Yaqi Badger. The edge on this was sharp but a little harsh which is why I went back and used wet paper to see if it made a difference. Not a great deal of difference I don’t think, it does feel a little less stingy but not super smooth like the Welsh slate edges I did but again it will no doubt smooth out with use in the next few shaves.

Shave 447 and 5 on Welsh slate honed Gold dollar B lathered with TOBS Sandalwood cream and Yaqi Badger.
The last 2 days shaves have been sharp but not super comfortable on razors newly honed on films, so today I returned to a natural honed edge and noticed the difference straight away. Today’s edge while extremely sharp was just a lot smoother feeling and gave me a great enjoyable shave. I had a splash of Brut to finish which really lit my face up. I don’t know what they put in the stuff but it a) burns like hell and b) leaves a great soft feeling to the face.

Shave 448 and 2 on the Suredge with a 0.3u film edge. Lathered with Yaqi Silvertip and Norse soap.
087841B1-EB50-4010-891C-9BAFF91C0E41.jpeg

Out of the recent film edges I’ve honed such as my Friodur and ELSINE this little Suredge is the best. It’s smoother and sharper than the rest and has a sharp little square point which gets the very corners of my bottom lip and the tricky hollow on the right side of my neck. Great shave from it today really nice everywhere and that Norse Sandalwood soap is really good very similar in performance to my recently expired jar of Tabac. After the shave when choosing an aftershave I went for a big splash of Fine Snakebite. Well I nearly hit the roof, I was nearly hopping with the huge sting it gave me as my whole face burned like fire, cooled not at all by the rivers of tears streaming down my cheeks. Too much of a good thing I think.

Shave 449 and 2 on the film honed Friodur, lathered with Sterling Margaritas and Yaqi Silvertip.
I cleaned up my shave shelf today, cleared away the clutter and am sticking to the essentials.
I have a drawer for Storing aftershaves and soaps Plus a wooden box for my straights and honing stuff.
2A66C69C-5A25-47C5-A508-E6CF1174885E.jpeg

The first time I used this razor after honing it I thought it felt a bit harsh but today on its 2nd use it’s a lot better, very very sharp and much milder feeling on my face. So sharp in fact that I got my first cut in ages but I also got a great shave. My lathers have been tricky to get just right on my last few shaves for some reason, the first 2 passes are fine but the lather is thinning a bit on pass 3. The brush holds a lot of water in the base plus I soak my face with each rinse which adds a bit more water so I think that’s what’s happening. Since I started face lathering I’ve only gone back to a bowl once and it didn’t compare but for tomorrow’s shave I’m going to use a bowl for a change and to make a more consistent lather.

Shave 450 and 1 on film honed Thomas Turner & Co lathered with TOBS Sandalwood cream and a Yaqi Badger.
I tried a bowl lather for a change today and really enjoyed it. I made a big mug full of great lather with a nice scent that filled the room. The usual amount of cream I face lather with made enough lather for about 6 passes and I was able to work it until I got it right. Plus I was able to reinvigorate the lather in the bowl after each pass which kept the stuff peaky and creamy throughout the shave.
I’ve been struggling with this Turner for a good while now. It was great until the edge and blade face got a bit of rusting. I reset the bevel on films to clean it then honed it up. I got the edge good but not as good as it was. So I then re honed it on films starting with a 1k and finishing on 0.3u. Still good, useable no problems but not like it was and not quite as sharp as my others. I refreshed the edge again last week on 12k and paper backed 0.3u film and tried it this morning. It’s closer than I’ve had it before but still not perfect. It’s got a great little growl when it’s sharp and that returned today but atg on my top lip it worked but it struggled. Every other razor I’ve got hones up well but this one is a mystery. My loup isn’t super powerful so I can’t see what’s happening up close. I’m going to hit it with my Welsh slate and see how that goes.

Shave 451 and 1 on the Turner lathered with Sterling soap and Yaqi Badger.
I honed the Turner today on the Welsh Slate. It’s a small stone but im getting more used to handling it.
B885BC6E-1DF2-4356-9061-20C88EAFA61F.jpeg

I gave it around 80 or so laps then tried the HHT. At first as usual it wouldn’t cut but then it started to slice the hair silently. On one cut it cut the hair longwise and I shaved the thing in two up it’s whole length. I swear if I’d been Michelangelo I could’ve sculpted a mini David into the hair.
Don’t think I did my best job on it to be honest. The shave is good but the razor felt less sharp than my other stone edges.

Shave 452 and 6 on the slate edged Gold dollar B lathered with Norse Sandalwood and Yaqi Badger.
75C95232-CA74-46FC-AF0C-C19625A81C86.jpeg

I was nursing quite a hangover courtesy of an encounter with a bottle of Bunnahabhain scotch whisky last night.
I bowl layered the Norse then palm lathered it before each pass to make it really rich and creamy.
This Gold dollar has a great sharp and comfortable stone edge on it it’s my favourite razor at the minute. I got a great shave, had a lovely long cold rinse and got hardly any burn from the cool Proraso green.

Shave 453 and 3 on the film honed Friodur. Lathered with Sterling soap and Yaqi Silvertip.
I made a wetter than usual lather today and that combined with how sharp I’ve got this razor meant the big blade just seemed to glide easily through everything today. The shave seemed almost effortless, everything felt easy. Even the cold rinse was gorgeous, I finished with alum then Proraso green, lovely morning shave.

Shave 455 and 2 on the Welsh slate edged 5/8ths Bengal near wedge. Lathered with TOBS Sandalwood and Yaqi Silvertip.
I like using this weighty little razor it has a different feel to my others. It doesn’t ring or pop or growl it’s like a silent assassin, and the stone edge I’ve put on it really suits us both.
1E8CFABC-7303-466C-BE20-377D090C604F.jpeg
B3383D91-D351-44B2-BD22-33E746232AD6.jpeg

It felt good today just how I like it fast and smooth and I got a great shave, though I have somehow missed one or two bits. Got a lovely cold rinse and then glided the alum bar all over my wet face which burned like fire everywhere it touched.

Shave 456 and 3 on the film edged Friodur. Lathered with what’s left of my Tabac soap, and Yaqi Badger. Tabac is great soap.
This 7/8ths Friodur feels really solidly built. Nice and heavy, well balanced, a big old chunk of stainless steel. It takes a great edge and seems to hold it forever. i bought it New Old Stock, it’s the same age as me. I’ve had it about a year and it looks like it did the day it was made, like it could still be on a shop display counter in 1972.

It’s my go to razor and I really enjoyed using it today though I think I went a little overboard with the pressure as I got a few weepers. I knew what to expect sting wise so I didn’t even want to look at the alum bar, just did a splash of Proraso Green and burned my face off. A second later it calmed down to a nice cool feeling, I left the bathroom feeling double fresh and with a baby smooth, if a little stingy, face.
1A86B811-8AAA-480C-A835-A0EDF312C359.jpeg

Shave 459 and 7 with the slate edged Gold Dollar lathered with Yaqi Badger and TOBS Sandalwood.
B3A58D70-974A-4C31-B6B4-3706133DFBD2.jpeg

Made a big great smelling creamy lather and got going. I had to be quick today I had a maximum of 35 mins for a shower and 4 pass shave. I was quick but mindful and I tried a bit more stretching rather than inflating going atg and xtg on my top lip. When I use this edge I’m always surprised into smiling at how smooth and comfortable it is, especially if I haven’t used it for a week or so. Got the shower, shave and cleanup done quickly and got a great result too. Quick splash of Proraso and I’m good.

Shave 460 and about 10 I’d guess on my Gold Dollar (A) which I honed months ago on a Naniwa 12k. I haven’t used it for months. I used TOBS Jermyn Street cream (mines a croap) and Yaqi Badger.
Yesterday I’d experimented with more top lip stretching going across and against the grain as opposed to the usual inflating I do, and I carried that on today and chose to do no inflating at all. I got really good results, no cuts or scrapes and I found the whole process to be quicker, more direct and the job was easier and closer. Today’s shave was really nice and my face got a great finish. The Naniwa left a great smooth edge on this razor I enjoyed using it today.

Shave 461 and 4 on the Friodur.
Lathered Sterling Margaritas and Yaqi Silvertip.
I was in a rush today but had a hangover, I was drinking scotch and thought I’d have one more to finish the bottle. Never ends well.
This morning, foggy headed and in a rush with time only for a quick strict 3 pass shave and trying out a new stretching routine on my upper lip all culminated in a rough stingy shave with three little cuts on my top lip.

Top Bottom