What's new

Cartridge Razors Aren't THAT Bad

I am retired now and shave with either a straight razor or DE. I still keep a Schick Hydro 5 groomer in the shower for shaving the back of my neck.

Before I retired, I spent 23 years traveling about 8-10 nights per month. It was easier carrying cartridge razors or disposables in my luggage than everything needed for a traditional wet shave. I usually shaved with whatever shampoo or conditioner was in the hotel shower to make a lather.

I seldom travel now, but if I am driving, I may take along a Gold Dollar straight razor, a tube of Cremo, and a synthetic brush.

I can use cartridge razors just fine. The big difference was ditching the canned products for actual shaving soaps.

The cart I did find difficult to use was the Schick Hydro. Its gooey strip can mix with the soap and be hard to rinse off

I go back and forth between carts and DE razors. Sometimes DE's, no matter which blade/razor/soap combination I use, gives me irritation and nicks, than I switch to Fusion Proglide, Mach3, Sensor and even canned Nivea shave gel. The only drawback to carts for me personally is that shaves become boring.

I cannot tell you what my typical three pass shave with a DE is compared to my identical 3 pass shave with a Fusion or Mach3 or Sensor. but I can tell you that for me, anyway, irritation is much less likely with a cart than any of my DE's and nicks virtually unkown with carts compared to DE's. I like them both and use them both. Each has it's strengths and drawbacks. I have read all the issues many have with carts and am sorry some cannot enjoy a quick, mindless, close, nick free, and irritation free shave from a cart. Sometimes it is too bad YMMV.

I can get BBS EVERYTIME with a can of Barbasol and a Trac II.:whistling:

To be honest, I'm into DE shaving for the vintage aspect, but have grown to love the soaps the most.

Top Bottom