What's new

Cartridge Price Hikes and Rebellion in The Economist

Funny I was just reading an article from a couple years ago about how straights and DEs can't compete with the "advanced" technology of the multiblades. Maybe everyone is starting to see how much of a rip off they are if you pay $5 for something that costs $.25 to make. Maybe people are moving towards the cheaper brands like I used to do since I refused to pay for Gillette's marketing. But I've seen few of these articles and none of them gives a definitive explanation other than a guess of hipsters. Where can we get the data to figure it out? Are any of the DE or straight companies public?

From the comments:

"I too, was fed-up with being forced to trade-up to ever more expensive razors."

I'm fed up with that lame statement. No one has ever been forced to trade up, and Gillette still sells every cartridge blade they ever made.

Gillette is sort of over a barrel, because they really don't have anywhere to go with their razors. They either have to stay where they are, or start back down on the number of blades, and come up with some compelling marketing bs as to why fewer blades are now better.

Funny you guys should bring this up. At work today the girl I was working next to brought up the fact that her hubby was griping about the cost of modern shaving. Before she was done I had already had for her b&b info along with a few other sites and where to go on YouTube for helpful videos.

I had a good laugh today. I ordered some Mach 3 Gillette razor blades for my wife and they're on the packageit stated the five carts would last 8 months. Well tonight my wife use them and she came back to say that she may be spoiled and she likes the five blade razors!! Help me!! Lol. Gillette has her hook, line, sinker and fishing pole!

To paraphrase what a famous Colonel once said "Carts are a solution looking for a problem".
Todays generation, especially hipsters are always looking for the easy way out of doing anything; with the least amount of responsibility and effort.
They always look for a technological solution for simple problems such as shaving.
There is always a snake oil salesman waiting in the wings waiting to take advantage of the gullible.
Just let them get on with it and enjoy watching the train wreck when they paint them selves into a corner.

As for the angst thing I can sympathise, todays generation are under such social pressures brought on by their perceptions of what others think, fuelled by Face book and twitter.
It's like high school writ large.

Things I got from the article.

1. Why do so many people, including the author, misspell Procter & Gamble?

2. I guess I am going for the King Kong look. At least now I know it's name, I always thought it was just the natural look. I really don't get this trend for "body sculpting".

3. The article sounded like a thinly veiled advert for the Dollar Shave Club. The author made it sound like DSC was the only alternative to high-priced carts. Sounds like a spoon-fed article writer rather than a good old-fashioned journalist. I bet he body sculpts :)

Top Bottom