What's new

Cartridge History Timeline

Oh? The Atra was marketed as the Vector in Asia I believe.
Vector/Atra/Contour carts are identical.

Here’s a photo of the Vector I’ve ordered:
View attachment 980236
It sure looks like a Contour to me but I appreciate the modern handle is probably a lot more cheaply made.
Now buy an authentic seventies handle and pack of carts to compare.

Now buy an authentic seventies handle and pack of carts to compare.
Will you sell me one? :)
Or at least upload some photos of one to this thread lol

So what is the Vector then?
Vector/Atra/Contour carts are interchangeable.
Wikipedia says that the Vector is the same as the Atra and Contour:
48412CB7-B1B0-467E-B6FD-E59108698CB9.jpeg

And so does this thread here on B&B:
FREE VECTOR(aka Gillette Atra) RAZOR

I totally take your point that the aesthetics and build quality of the Vector handle might be different to those of the original Atra but in terms of cart design and compatability they are the same razor along with the Contour.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the Trac 2 And Schick Super II adjustable cartridges were made. I do kn that they we not produced for a long time though.

Does anyone know when the Trac 2 And Schick Super II adjustable cartridges were made. I do kn that they we not produced for a long time though.
Good question!
And how did the adjustable mechanism work?

Like the push cleaning, the idea of adjustable carts is completely new to me.
This thread is very enlightening!

Good question!

The adjustable action is a slide on the razor that adjusts the blade angle. I have 5 of them and it makes a nice shave.

Will you sell me one? :)
Or at least upload some photos of one to this thread lol

So what is the Vector then?
Vector/Atra/Contour carts are interchangeable.
Wikipedia says that the Vector is the same as the Atra and Contour:
View attachment 980245
And so does this thread here on B&B:
FREE VECTOR(aka Gillette Atra) RAZOR

I totally take your point that the aesthetics and build quality of the Vector handle might be different to those of the original Atra but in terms of cart design and compatability they are the same razor along with the Contour.
Do you have all four to compare to?
The Boston made Atra, the German Contour, the St Petersburg Slalom against various Chinese, Indian, Indonesian, and Filipino made Vectors? When someone can spot subtleties in Vectors because they own both a Indonesian made one and a Chinese made one, then they can have an informed discussion.

15807019-E989-4BA8-8B97-D7E9A0E68F6D.jpeg
C3B2505C-CEFE-42D2-B0F4-08B266CBB643.jpeg
Good question!

Here’s what the adjustable Super II cartridges look like. I only have r of them. You can find them at US Razor. They come with a Super II handle which I find nicer than a Trac II handle

Do you have all four to compare to?
The Boston made Atra, the German Contour, the St Petersburg Slalom against various Chinese, Indian, Indonesian, and Filipino made Vectors? When someone can spot subtleties in Vectors because they own both a Indonesian made one and a Chinese made one, then they can have an informed discussion.
Ha ha - you’ve inspired me to do further reading on the subject.
I love the depth of discussion that this thread is generating!

I found this:
Gillette Contour vs. Gillette Vector vs. Gillette Slalom
Someone there says the Vector is a cheap plastic version of the Atra:
What is/are the difference(s) among these?

AFAIK, the Contour is the world version of the Atra and appears to be the same quality. The Vector is a cheap version of the Atra (plastic, not as heavy). The Slalom is the Russian version of the Atra.
So presumably my Vector is going to be a cheapy plastic Atra replica.

This makes sense - the Malaysian made Vector3 handle I got to take Sensor carts is certainly cheap and plastic but actually quite attractive so hopefully my new Vector will be the same:
CB6AB86C-E410-40EE-A790-8B04D4251ABD.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I find it somewhat confusing with all the different name changes between countries. For me they should just keep the names the same to stop the confusion.

I find it somewhat confusing with all the different name changes between countries. For me they should just keep the names the same to stop the confusion.
I agree it makes for a lot of confusion.

And in the US and Europe the Sensor is compatible with the Sensor3 but in Asia the Vector isn’t compatible with the Vector3.
So what was the original Asian version of the Sensor called?

From what I can tell, the slider changes the blade angle
That’s brilliant!
I couldn’t find any ads for those adjustable carts anywhere but that’s certainly a “first” to put on the timeline when we do establish some dates.

I wish they’d continued this idea with their later razors - I’d love an adjustable Mach 3.

I agree it makes for a lot of confusion.

And in the US and Europe the Sensor is compatible with the Sensor3 but in Asia the Vector isn’t compatible with the Vector3.
So what was the original Asian version of the Sensor called?
It may never have been launched in countries other than Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore and South Korea.

The Vector and Vector3 are aimed at markets like India, Indonesia, Vietnam etc. They have large populations. However, the majority are not affluent. India only now has a middle class that is a target of the West. Import restrictions and poverty prevented this in 1990 when the Sensor was launched.

These are not my photos. However they show the difference between an Atra and a Vector.

proxy.php

proxy.php
Wow - seeing that first photo took me right back to when I was growing up. Uncanny...

Hmm...this is getting deep now.
You’re right they are VERY different handles.
But isn’t that just two different handle designs for the same cartridge system?
The mechanics and blade attachments are identical.

The Personna Magnum comes with several different handle designs and a disposable variant too but they are all a Personna Magnum.

Perhaps we should say that the Vector is a cheap plastic variant of the Atra system.

Last edited:
Hmm...this is getting deep now.
Isn’t that just two different handle designs for the same cartridge system?
The mechanics and blade attachments are identical.

The Personna Magnum comes with several different handle designs and a disposable variant too but they are all a Personna Magnum.

Perhaps we should say that the Vector is a cheap plastic variant of the Atra system.
If the carts are the same design and calibrated at the same weight. I will have to hunt through boxes, but my memory is pointing me in the direction that the carts are not 100% identical.

Supermax claim on their website that their SMX4 razor was the world’s first disposable 4 blade razor.
No idea what year though...
... so who and when were the world’s first two blade, triple blade and five blade disposables?

I’ve got some Dorco Pace 6 disposables so I’m assuming they’re the first 6-blade disposable, but again what year?

Top Bottom