What's new

Cartoons you watched as a kid/favorite/watch now

I was a big fan of Stingray. Not really a cartoon, but a puppet show. Thunderbirds was the most popular one. The earlier ones were also good, Supercars and Fireball XL5. I think it started with Torchy the Battery Boy, which I only saw in re-runs.
For American cartoons, I'd have to mention Ruff and Ready, Pixie and Dixie, Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy, Hokey Wolf and Ding, Alvin and the Chipmunks. But my favourites were Underdog, Topcat and Jonny Quest!
I later learnt that Topcat was a parody of the Phil Silvers Show, just as the Flintstones was adapted from The Honeymooners.
I wonder how many other cartoons were parodies of live-action television series?

I pretty much watched the standards back in the day. Bugs Bunny was one of my favorites when I was a kid. I also really like Space Ghost (who would have guessed?) and Johnny Quest. My kid is a huge Sponge Bob fan, and I have to admit that it's pretty entertaining.

Speed Racer — absolute favorite.

That was my favorite show to watch when I got home from school in the third grade.

To this day, I still remember Racer X giving Speed some tips
like to stop using the brakes so much and let the engine do some of the slowing down.

Then I didn't watch it during Summer vacation
and then when I saw it again after coming home from school in the fourth grade,
I thought it was just the stupidest show I had ever seen
and I was amazed that just a few months previous,
I thought it was the greatest thing that could ever be on television.

And I was fully aware that the only thing that had changed, was myself. :(

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That was my favorite show to watch when I got home from school in the third grade.

like to stop using the brakes so much and let the engine do some of the slowing down.

This is why I never grew up.

I use to love Catch the Peigion and Whacy Races sadly these are no longer on now. But my 2 grandchildren are getting to the age were they are being to watch TV so I guess its just a matter of time till I end up with new favourites

proxy.php

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Like the quote attributed to Mark Twain:

When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.

Kid : Looney tunes, flintstones, Jetsons, wacky races.
Hr pufnstuff, banana splits had some cartoon qualities

Teenager : Heavy metal

That’s about it besides my kids watching he man, transformers and stuff.

My earliest cartoon favorites on TV were:

Winky Dink and You. Very early 50's interactive TV. My mom ordered the plastic film that stuck to our 12" b&w tv. It came with 4 crayons, as I remember. Winky would have you draw directly on the tv. Something like: " Ok kids, take the yellow crayon and draw a line to make a bridge so Winky can get across". I think the show got cancelled because parents didn't order the plastic film and kids were drawing directly on the tv screen.

I recall Winky as living on Zero Zero Island,
but I can't find any reference to that online.

Animated Star Trek, Planet of the apes, teen angles, great ape, Hong Kong fooey, rhubard and custard, Spiderman, batman, hair bear bunch, Tom & Jerry, G force, He man, willow the wisp, stop the pigeon, whacky races, bugs bunny, daffy duck, and more I can't remember.

These days it.....teen titan go.

I liked Bugs Bunny, Roadrunner, Pink Panther, and Flintstones. Good stuff. But when I wanted something just a bit cheesier...

When criminals in this world appear
And break the laws that they should fear
And frighten all who see or hear
A cry goes up both far and near for
UNDERDOG
Speed of lightning, power of thunder
Fighting all who rob or plunder
UNDERDOG

And yes, that's from memory.

My favorite cartoon as an adult was the 1980s Smurfs. I was in my mid-30s, but every Satruday morning I watched The Smurfs and The Care Bears with my youngest daughter. I loved the Smurfs, tolerated the Care Bears. For my birthday one year, my wife with "help" from our daughters, baked me a Papa Smurf birthday cake. It looked pretty cool. I don't know if she still has the mold, but my daughter, now in her 40s, still has Smurf figures and all the stuffed Care Bears in storage.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The saddest part is that these cartoons explain more about Civics than they teach in school today. When a sitting Representative can not name the three branches of Government with a BA from B.U. something is terribly wrong...
Remember: we ALWAYS get the government we deserve!

(This way I can sleep at night, lol. "You deserve this Dave, or werser!")

Top Bottom