What's new

Cartoons you watched as a kid/favorite/watch now

Eben Stone

Staff member
Share the cartoons you used to watch growing up.

And which one was your absolute favorite?

Any you watch now as an adult?

I'm probably forgetting some, but here's my list...

Watched as a kid:

Robotech
Voltron
Thunder Cats
He-Man
She-Ra
G.I. Joe
Thansformers
Scooby Doo
And of course the Looney Toons, Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny, Woody Woodpecker, Roadrunner, and Pink Panther

Absolute favorite:

Robotech

Watch now:

Inuyasha
Sponge Bob Squarepants
And occasionally Phineas and Ferb

"When I was a little bitty ... [kid]," I used to love Popeye, Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, Merrie Melodies, Casper the Friendly Ghost, The Scooby-Doo Show, Garfield, Heathcliff and Friends, Woody Woodpecker, The Yogi Bear Show, The Flintstones, and The Jetsons.

In my later elementary school and junior high school days I became a fan of DuckTales, TaleSpin, Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, Tiny Toons, the Animaniacs, X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Sailor Moon, and The Simpsons.

In my adulthood, I came to enjoy watching (in addition to the above) Batman Beyond, The PowerPuff Girls, South Park, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Young Justice, Avatar: The Last Airbender, and Avatar: The Legend of Korra.

Last edited:

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I use to love Catch the Peigion and Whacy Races sadly these are no longer on now. But my 2 grandchildren are getting to the age were they are being to watch TV so I guess its just a matter of time till I end up with new favourites

Just throwing it out there...did anyone ever watch The Banana Splits?

For me, all of the above, plus many more Japanese imports. Some that come to mind: Yattaman, Hokuto no Ken, Mazinger, DragonBall, etc etc.

These days I've been enjoying catching up with all seasons of Jojo Bizarre Adventures, and I just started Monster.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I was an adult when it came out, but The Tick TV cartoon series was great, and had a lot of innuendo that adults got but kids didn't, much like Spongebob.

As a kid, Top Cat, Huckleberry Hound, Speedy Gonzales, Deputy Dog, Quick Draw McGraw, Magilla Gorilla, Cool McCool, Underdog, Secret Squirrel, Bullwinkle and Rocky, Dudley Do-Right, Snagglepuss, Peabody and Sherman, Beanie and Cecil, Tennessee Tuxedo, Ricochet Rabbit, Atom Ant, and The Beatles to name a few.

As a child: Popeye (The Fleisher era), (Pre-Scrappy) Scooby Doo, The Flintstones, Looney Tunes, Merrie Melodies, *The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends, *Jonny Quest, Tom & Jerry, Woody Woodpecker, Droopy
(* favorites)

As an adult (via my kids): Dexter's Lab, Power Puff Girls, Avatar The Last Air Bender, Legend of Korra, Spongebob.

As an adult: The first 7-8 seasons of The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers, Dr. Katz Professional Therapist, Cowboy Bebop.

Movies: Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, Totoro, etc. by Miyazaki and/or Studio Ghibli

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Just throwing it out there...did anyone ever watch The Banana Splits?

For me, all of the above, plus many more Japanese imports. Some that come to mind: Yattaman, Hokuto no Ken, Mazinger, DragonBall, etc etc.

These days I've been enjoying catching up with all seasons of Jojo Bizarre Adventures, and I just started Monster.
I used to watch the Banana Splits, also enjoyed H.R. Puff n’ Stuff, another with live action. The Amazing Spider-Man, Rocket Robinhood, The Flintstones, Johnny Quest, Hercules, Super Friends and The Fantastic Four were some other time killers.

I'm only giving the tip of the iceberg.
Looney Tunes, and Tom & Jerry are timeless. I still watch them now.
@hairless wonder reminded me about Talespin, I loved that show! Also in my younger days were Ren & Stimpy, Batman: The Animated Series, and anything on Cartoon Network from the mid 90s to early 2000s.
A lot of anime, the top ones being DragonBall, Cowboy Bebop, and One Piece.

This was a brilliant show. I'd forgotten about it.
I agree, I thought it was very original and ground-breaking for its time. My wife and I really enjoyed it back in the day. The humor could be pretty dry and sarcastic so it probably wasn't for everyone. I should revisit the show to see how it's stood up over time.

I forgot to add:

As a little kid:
Masters of the Universe, She-Ra: Princess of Power, Transformers, Thundercats, Challenge of the GoBots, The Smurfs, Snorks, Strawberry Shortcake, My Little Pony, Care Bears, Inspector Gadget, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Kidd Video, Doraemon, The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and Schoolhouse Rock.

As a late elementary school-junior high school kid:
King Arthur and the Knights of Justice, The Real Ghostbusters, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Gummy Bears, Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers, Aladdin, Goof Troop, and Muppet Babies.

As an adult:
Family Guy, King of the Hill, Futurama, Dragonball Z, Recess, Pepper Ann, Class of Titans, The Legend of Tarzan, Hercules: The Animated Series, and Buzz Lightyear of Star Command.

Last edited:
Top Bottom