What's new

Carter Hall vs Sutliff Match Carter Hall

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I received my 10oz “sample” of the Match and now have two pipes competing and I can’t tell the difference. I’ll do same in the morning when my palate is fresh and the coffee is hot. The “pouch” note is a bit different but the tobacco is the same color mix and same moisture as the tub. I expect there will be some differences but not enough to make a difference.

Eagerly watching this thread! I can't wait to read about how you find those two. I've never had an original and then a Sutliff Match. I wonder how they'll compare.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Eagerly watching this thread! I can't wait to read about how you find those two. I've never had an original and then a Sutliff Match. I wonder how they'll compare.
I’ve had a couple and Sutliff is good at it but an exact match would be nearly impossible simply due to the sourcing of the exact tobaccos used in the blend. I had a bowl of Match then a bowl of CH this evening but I’ll have a better idea with a fresh palate in the morning. I’m already certain there is a difference but not sure exactly where or how much. One thing I do know is that the Match is a good blend. CH is just so CH and a wonderful blend among the best I have ever had.

It so unpretentious and unashamedly what it is. Like a good old mutt or beat up pickup truck or a bench chisle. Not the flashy option, but one you find yourself reaching for as often as not. The one that just plain doesn't let you down.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
It so unpretentious and unashamedly what it is. Like a good old mutt or beat up pickup truck or a bench chisle. Not the flashy option, but one you find yourself reaching for as often as not. The one that just plain doesn't let you down.
I believe it is even better than that. I think it is exceptional according to our preferences in pipe tobacco which I believe are pretty much in alignment. It has only been around since 1956 so it is far from being in “old” codger blend. I’ve been wondering if it was inspired by St Bruno. Except for the floral note in SB, they are very much alike.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Ok. I compared the two with a fresh palate and fresh coffee this morning. While the difference was small, there is a difference. The base tobacco blend seems to be the same with the Virginia providing very similar citrus note and aftertaste. Where I found a noticeable difference was in the topping. The Match was lacking a bit in the whiskey and fruitiness of the CH. I still prefer the CH overall but the Match is a very good blend on its own. I believe I will smoke the match during the day when my taste is less acute rationing CH for mornings and evenings. Some will prefer the Match and others the CH of course but those who are dedicated CH smokers will likely not substitute as long as CH is available. I’ll send you a sample to form your opinion.

Top Bottom