What's new

Carry Revolver - What are the options?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
They are accurate as hell. The wadcutters used to be the standard in bullseye pistol competition. In a 6 inch .38 some people can shoot one hole groups at 25 yards. Some people can do it with a snub.

I reread my post, and I didn't correct an omission before I posted. The hollow base wadcutters were seated backward in the case so the hollow base was a hollow point. Nasty stuff at close range.

View attachment 1062557

Federal HST 130 gr. +P is the modern, already loaded reiteration.

Not only will it open out of a 2", at that speed I'd expect other benefits.

proxy.php

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well. There are many schools of defensive ammo thought, and as @simon1 pointed out, this one's an old but effective trick. I'll admit to carrying them ... and in a six-shooter - not the SP101 - a CCI/Speer "Big Shot" No.6 shot capsule round under the hammer - first or last to go. Quick manual cylinder rotation gives me choices.

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Federal HST 130 gr. +P is the modern, already loaded reiteration.

Not only will it open out of a 2", at that speed I'd expect other benefits.

proxy.php

AA
I have thought about those but since most of my carry revolvers are at least a half century or more old I hesitate to run +P ammo through them. I might get a box just for the Smith Airweight, Charter Arms Undercover and Taurus 605 Poly Protector.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have thought about those but since most of my carry revolvers are at least a half century or more old I hesitate to run +P ammo through them. I might get a box just for the Smith Airweight, Charter Arms Undercover and Taurus 605 Poly Protector.

I absolutely do carry +P in my old Colts. I just don't shoot any significant amount of them. Steel frame Colt oldies, supposed to be OK under 2-3K of them.

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I absolutely do carry +P in my old Colts. I just don't shoot any significant amount of them. Steel frame Colt oldies, supposed to be OK under 2-3K of them.

AA
My Colt oldies though are all pushing the century mark. After the Detective Special the next youngest was made in 1926 and most were 1919 or earlier.

AA

May not be "politically correct" but, except for some of the Buffalo Bore or Underwood stuff, most +P is a tempest in a teapot as far as I'm concerned.

Once tested three different +P 158 grain loads in this shabby-looking Smith & Wesson K-Frame Hand Ejector Military & Police revolver (later to be known as the Model 10) from 1904. The revolver handled the +P loads with aplomb and seemed none the worse for wear.

Same type of +P loads have been fired from:

Smith & Wesson K-Frame Military & Police revolvers from 1917, 1926, 1944 (Victory Model) 1946, 1952, 1954 and from a really early J-Frame Chiefs Special from 1950-52.

Colt Police Positive Specials from 1914 and 1921, Army Special from 1915, Commando from 1943, Official Police from 1953, Officers Model Match from 1957, and Detective Special from 1966.

Now it's not real cozy to shoot a lot of +P through a Police Positive Special with the narrow grip frame but the gun handles it.

In my view it's a variation on the theme of "Chicken Little - the sky is falling" to dither about .38 Special +P ammunition.

Both Colt and Smith & Wesson were blessing the use of the very heavy .38-44 version of the .38 Special cartridge in their mid-framed revolvers prior to World War II, as evidenced by their ads and the .38-44 loading was hotter than modern +P, more on the order of the Buffalo Bore and Underwood +P offerings.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
May not be "politically correct" but, except for some of the Buffalo Bore or Underwood stuff, most +P is a tempest in a teapot as far as I'm concerned.

Once tested three different +P 158 grain loads in this shabby-looking Smith & Wesson K-Frame Hand Ejector Military & Police revolver (later to be known as the Model 10) from 1904. The revolver handled the +P loads with aplomb and seemed none the worse for wear.

Same type of +P loads have been fired from:

Smith & Wesson K-Frame Military & Police revolvers from 1917, 1926, 1944 (Victory Model) 1946, 1952, 1954 and from a really early J-Frame Chiefs Special from 1950-52.

Colt Police Positive Specials from 1914 and 1921, Army Special from 1915, Commando from 1943, Official Police from 1953, Officers Model Match from 1957, and Detective Special from 1966.

Now it's not real cozy to shoot a lot of +P through a Police Positive Special with the narrow grip frame but the gun handles it.

In my view it's a variation on the theme of "Chicken Little - the sky is falling" to dither about .38 Special +P ammunition.

Both Colt and Smith & Wesson were blessing the use of the very heavy .38-44 version of the .38 Special cartridge in their mid-framed revolvers prior to World War II, as evidenced by their ads and the .38-44 loading was hotter than modern +P, more on the order of the Buffalo Bore and Underwood +P offerings.

Love that art and info, thanks!

I have a beauty of a Colt PPS and just recently tried a set of Barami hip grips on it ... For DS but they fit perfectly! A very easy 4" carry.

After working with it a while I pulled out a Smith K-frame and it felt like a Mod.29! Goes to show how small that PPS really is! K-frame is not a large gun, except by comparison.

All I ask out of the old Colt is not to let the cylinder split if I actually fire a +P in self defense - and I am certain the gun will hold up. Mild reloads or factory ammo is all it usually eats.

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Love that art and info, thanks!

I have a beauty of a Colt PPS and just recently tried a set of Barami hip grips on it ... For DS but they fit perfectly! A very easy 4" carry.

After working with it a while I pulled out a Smith K-frame and it felt like a Mod.29! Goes to show how small that PPS really is! K-frame is not a large gun, except by comparison.

All I ask out of the old Colt is not to let the cylinder split if I actually fire a +P in self defense - and I am certain the gun will hold up. Mild reloads or factory ammo is all it usually eats.

AA
Glad to see someone promoting Barami Hip Grips!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

I concur. Current +P is about like the older standard pressure stuff. I don't use it unless it's Buffalo Bore.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Damn. I got some reading to do!

Honestly, I’ve put the revolver away since I bought it. I got sick and haven't had time to take it to the range. And won’t have the time for a bit longer. Maybe this Saturday/Sunday I’ll get it out and shoot it.

But honestly...no idea what ammo I’ll be firing. Likely whatever range ammo I can find. I’m heading up to Kentucky to do some gambling with my bro tomorrow and will be bringing some of the armaments along for the trip to take to the range. So whatever they have available at the range will be in use.

Damn. I got some reading to do!

Honestly, I’ve put the revolver away since I bought it. I got sick and haven't had time to take it to the range. And won’t have the time for a bit longer. Maybe this Saturday/Sunday I’ll get it out and shoot it.

But honestly...no idea what ammo I’ll be firing. Likely whatever range ammo I can find. I’m heading up to Kentucky to do some gambling with my bro tomorrow and will be bringing some of the armaments along for the trip to take to the range. So whatever they have available at the range will be in use.
Good luck gambling. I’m sure range ammo will be fine. I have never found that any ammo has ever been an issue in my airweight.

S&W 629 4” in a Galco DAO crossdraw or a Ruger Redhawk 4.2” 45 Colt in a Galco DAO crossdraw.

That’s a lot of meplat to be staring at. With luck will never need to launch one in self defense.

Top Bottom