What's new

Carry Revolver - What are the options?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
It's also possible to step up to a just slightly larger revolver like the Colt Police Positive or Police Positive Special. These are still small enough to be easily concealed but have a slightly longer barrel and sight radius. I have even carried my old Smith DA Model 4 which is also a 38S&W as a pocket pistol.

proxy.php

Another that gets to go WalkAbout is my H&R 732 in 32S&W Long but with its larger hammer works best in an OWB Holster.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Once you move to the larger framed revolvers there is a whole host of possibilities. I tend to find the 4-5" barrel lengths the sweet spot when it comes to presentation and accuracy and usually the 5-6" barrels in 45acp or 357. My M19 and Highway Patrolman are both 357 capable but I generally carry 38 Special wad cutters since the shorter 4" barrel really doesn't work as well as the longer 5-6" ones with the more powerful rounds.

BUT for sheer fun when on the rifle range my Dan Wesson 15-2 with the 6" barrel in 357 Mag has gotta be right up there. I may not be quite as accurate as my friends with their rifles but out to about 75-100 yards I won't get embarrassed.

proxy.php

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
A CS Patrol friend still carries a ‘101 off-duty & when I first questioned him about being limited to just five rounds, he quipped, “Generally, you only need one .357 Mag cartridge to do the job & besides, I don’t miss”. 😬
I lightened the ‘101s action to near S&W smoothness with Wolffs, then swapped the factory grips & sight for Hogues & a Meprolight, respectively.

I’m leaning toward the S&W 642.

But what else is out there? Concealed or Open, no preference to me.
My main carry is a concealed J Frame .38 special with 3" barrel. I carry it in a paddle holster slipped over my waist belt.
Sometimes I instead carry a S&W .357, but with .38 special loads, cause this gun also on a J Frame, is an AirLite model with a 2" barrel, and shooting .357 loads would recoil your wrist very hard. I carry it in an ankle holster, can carry it all day long and being an AirLite not even know it's there. Even with a 2" barrel you can put holes in a 4" circle at 40 feet.

I have a Ruger .380 LCP semi auto, Gen 2 for back up, but don't carry it hardly at all.

Hey! What's my gun doing in your picture!? :eek2:

My SP101 has that same Hogue Monogrip! :devil: Great minds think alike!

AA
Ditto on that Ruger SP101, "What's my gun doing in your picture!?" Mine has the Hogue grips too. I don't carry it tho. Prefer my S&W .38 J Frame. Not a lot of difference, just a bit smaller frame, lighter and easier to conceal.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ditto on that Ruger SP101, "What's my gun doing in your picture!?" Mine has the Hogue grips too. I don't carry it tho. Prefer my S&W .38 J Frame. Not a lot of difference, just a bit smaller frame, lighter and easier to conceal.

Research indicates SP101 weighs in at 1,9.2 oz, Colt DS at 1,4.7 oz and Colt Agent at 1,0.5 oz. ... Explains why we love shooting SP101 and *maybe* carry others ...

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I had a Ruger Service Six with the 2.75" barrel. That's one I did not get custody of.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Swear I pitted mine a little with sweat; pretty hot here in August ...
AA
I can believe that. Early on, the SP101 was kept holstered & stashed around the house until one day I noticed very slight etching on the edges of the top strap while cleaning it.

No problem with my SP. I treat it exactly how you arent supposed to treat a steel, even stainless, gun. I leave it in a leather holster all the time and don't even bother to wipe it down when coming in out of the rain...Basically I just neglect it. Nothing seems to bother it.

Ruger revolvers need as much routine service attention as a cinder block.
I picked up a GP100 4.25 barrel maybe 9-10 years ago. Other than replacing the grips that pistol has required nothing other than an occasional brush through the bore and wipe down with a cleaning cloth. They're the Chuck Norris of revolvers.
0DFB33B9-118B-41E8-931E-B6D34D8244AF.jpeg

Last edited:
Models with fully enclosed hammers such as the S&W 442 and the lemon squeezer are obviously DA only, those with shrouded and partially exposed hammers, like my Airweight, can be cocked and shot SA, if desired.
I've got an Airweight with an exposed hammer (637.) I don't like my inexpensive nylon holster. Can you recommend a comfortable IWB holster for it?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
9 oz. more is nothing when hiking/backpacking; it's significantly more on your belt otherwise, though. Wish I had the scandi or titanium snub!

AA

Top Bottom