What's new

carry on plane, AC blade resemble cartridge blade under xray?

So, I've had DE blades confiscated when I tried to board a plane with them.

I guess cartridge razors are fine, though.

Does the thinner shape of an AC blade possibly allow it to slip through security, since it could look much closer to a cartridge blade in an xray machine?

I'm just wondering, because not every person I stay with will have DE blades available.

The safe answer here is simple:

Follow safety regulations; check it or don’t bring it.

I’d think that, unless the area is remote, you’d be able to find DE blades at a convenience or drug store. SE blades would be a bit more of a challenge. Alternately you may be able to mail yourself some blades to the address(es) you are staying at.

No sense in taking the risk.

So, I've had DE blades confiscated when I tried to board a plane with them.

I guess cartridge razors are fine, though.

Does the thinner shape of an AC blade possibly allow it to slip through security, since it could look much closer to a cartridge blade in an xray machine?

I'm just wondering, because not every person I stay with will have DE blades available.
Get a Gillette Guard - single blade OC cartridge that shaves as well or better than a lot of regular razors. TSA will not even blink an eye when they see it. One time, I had to open up my kit and take apart a RR Hawk just to show the folks I didn't have a blade in it.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I was thinking about this today, as I travel for work occasionally. Mostly I just take a face grinder (electric razor) if I'm going to be flying. If I'm traveling by surface then I'll take the Full Mahooha.

I had the thought that not every city is going to have easily accessible blades, either DE or SE (I have yet to find any shaving quality Gem blades in Canada...). Since I usually know where I'm staying, I suppose I could simply mail a blade or two to my destination with a "Hold For Pickup On Arrival" notation.

Another thought: when you had blades confiscated, was that in your carry-on? I've noticed that they tend to be a little more accepting of things that go in your checked luggage. Personally, however, the PITA factor of checking luggage does NOT offset having my preferred shaving tools on hand.

O.H.

I was thinking about this today, as I travel for work occasionally. Mostly I just take a face grinder (electric razor) if I'm going to be flying. If I'm traveling by surface then I'll take the Full Mahooha.

I had the thought that not every city is going to have easily accessible blades, either DE or SE (I have yet to find any shaving quality Gem blades in Canada...). Since I usually know where I'm staying, I suppose I could simply mail a blade or two to my destination with a "Hold For Pickup On Arrival" notation.

Another thought: when you had blades confiscated, was that in your carry-on? I've noticed that they tend to be a little more accepting of things that go in your checked luggage. Personally, however, the PITA factor of checking luggage does NOT offset having my preferred shaving tools on hand.

O.H.

Yeah, I'm just talking about carry on. Check luggage hasn't been a problem for me yet. Shoot, I brought 100 Gillette Bleue Extras back from Corsica. No questions asked.

I wouldn't bother with an AC/SE blade while travelling - while it might get through it might also result in a big hassle and that's an outcome that's easily avoided. I keep a Trac II handy for when I'm flying.

TSA in any airport you fly in or out of know the difference between a DE, SE, and an Injector razor. They are full aware that it is not easy at all to get the blade out of an Injector razor and mainly the reason you can carry one on just like a disposable. They know that an AC type and DE just unscrew the head and pull the blade out and that is what they don't want. The ability to pull the blade out quickly and use it as a weapon. Much harder to do with an Injector and disposable... You can put any razor blade, and in any quantity, that you want to use at your destination in checked baggage and travel .

TSA procedures have leaked. https://s.ai/tsa/tsa-screening-sop.pdf

Money quote from the list of items prohibited from carry-on (but ok for checked bags)

Razor-Type Blades (such as box cutters, utility knives, and razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors)

No injectors. No AC blades. No DE blades. No SE blades. No sharp anything except cartridges with blades encapsulated in plastic in your carry-on. Check them or leave them at home. You can carry-on the razor itself without a blade. That's all.

Just hide a couple dozen blades in your shoe and walk right on through. Just kidding, don't do that as you'll likely get arrested. You'll be babbling something about shaving and BBS while they prosecute you as a terrorist.

Seriously though, most often if I'm traveling anywhere and staying longer than a few days I put the blades in my checked luggage. I've also sent them ahead before via the mail as well, so that's an option. You can send them to the hotel you'll be staying at and address them to yourself. They'll be at the front desk when you arrive. It's really easy to do. Same deal if you're staying with friends. Just a little planning is all it takes. If you're not one to plan ahead then most local drug stores or Art of Shaving stores will sell you DE blades. So they're not all that difficult to find. The Dollar stores sell them as well and they're all over the place.

With this being said I've accidentally left a pack of Feather DE blades in my Dopp bag (even internationally) on more than one occasion and luckily I've never been stopped for it. Maybe I'm just lucky? All of my shaving gear goes with me in my carry on with the exception of the blades.

I do usually take apart my razor, which from the x-ray machine standpoint, probably keeps them from having me take it apart and show them that there's no blade in it. Maybe it keeps them from looking a bit harder for the blades as well as I'm not making them work as hard. I'm not even sure it looks like a razor in the xray scan so maybe that helps as well.

I wouldn't intentionally try to take blades on a plane. It's a bad idea no matter how you look at it. If they find them then the best case is a delay and loss of the blades. Worst case you can't fly and/or they confiscate your razor along with the blades.

Just be smart and plan ahead.

Id agree to just following the rules and either checking it or not bringing it. You will survive for however long you are traveling with a cartridge or disposable razor.

Top Bottom