What's new

Carry on baggage with a DE

Hi guys
Wondering if you can help me really quick. I have to fly tomorrow and I am only taking a carry on bag. I will be flying from North Carolina to Philly. According to the TSA's website, in regards to razors, this is what is NOT allowed on carry on:

Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors.

So if I am reading correctly, they will let me bring in my carry-on, my safety razor and blade, correct?
Or am I reading it wrong?

You are not allowed to carry on the Blades. I fly all the time for work with only a carry on and I have to use a cartridge razor when I travel.
Some people have suggested mailing Blades ahead of time to where you are staying, but for a day or two I can just put up with my cartridge razor.

Your not going to be able to bring the blades but you can bring the razor, I know because I recently flew from NY to Boston and they claimed my blades.

You are not allowed to carry on the Blades. I fly all the time for work with only a carry on and I have to use a cartridge razor when I travel.
Some people have suggested mailing Blades ahead of time to where you are staying, but for a day or two I can just put up with my cartridge razor.

Thanks. I guess I will have to buy some disposables when I get to Philly ..

Hi guys
Wondering if you can help me really quick. I have to fly tomorrow and I am only taking a carry on bag. I will be flying from North Carolina to Philly. According to the TSA's website, in regards to razors, this is what is NOT allowed on carry on:

Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors.

So if I am reading correctly, they will let me bring in my carry-on, my safety razor and blade, correct?
Or am I reading it wrong?

The TSA is disaster of a government agency. They spell things out for their employees but leave a grey area for the flyer and vice versa. It seems they allow the razor itself in the carry on but not the blades and that makes sense.
Pack them both in a check in bag if you are taking a check in bag. I would hate to see them throw away anything of value at the security checkpoint. I have seen them do that.
You can always call them and spend 45 mins on hold if you have to. I would just check the bags, its only an hour or so flight.

The TSA is disaster of a government agency. They spell things out for their employees but leave a grey area for the flyer and vice versa. It seems they allow the razor itself in the carry on but not the blades and that makes sense.
Pack them both in a check in bag if you are taking a check in bag. I would hate to see them throw away anything of value at the security checkpoint. I have seen them do that.
You can always call them and spend 45 mins on hold if you have to. I would just check the bags, its only an hour or so flight.

Thanks for the info. I am not going to check a bag.. I am taking just a small duffel bag with me. I will just either pick something up in Philly or just wait until I get home. I will only be gone for a few days.

I would suggest leaving the DE at home and just picking up some dispossable razors for when you travel. I have heard people talk about having to pull their DE out and show it at security and that just seems like a hastle to me.

and for a three day trip, its not worth the hassle. Plus, I dont want them to confiscate my DE. I would be fuming if that happened. lol

The TSA doesn't use the term 'safety razor' the same way we do - they use it to refer to disposables, while we use it as the opposite of a straightrazor.

Where are you staying in Philly? There aren't too many options for DE blades at retail, but the big pharmacy chains are all over the place and they usually have some dusty blades in the back.

Pick up some of the Bic Sensitive disposables. They're the best non-DE/straight option I have used.

Something like $2.99 for a 10 pack.

Traveling is a good reason to have a 1980s metal Atra around. I just finished using one for a week when I went to Seattle but was sure glad to get back to a DE.

Thank you everyone for answering.. I will be bringing a bic disposable one blade razor.. That would be acceptable.

I'm glad you asked this, since I'll be flying next week and was wondering myself. think I'll try bringing my old fatboy w/o blades and see what happens. I can handle soap for a week if I have a badger along (think I'll get some pvc pipe & a couple caps and make a travel case for 'im, with drilled breathing holes of course). thanks all for the advice.:thumbup1:

I would suggest leaving the DE at home and just picking up some dispossable razors for when you travel. I have heard people talk about having to pull their DE out and show it at security and that just seems like a hastle to me.

I agree. Imagine showing a DE razor to someone who has never seen one. We could be bailing you out of jail but then again.....
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have been able to get away with taking my Schick Golden 500 injector. They think it's a cartridge razor. :biggrin1:

I forgot to take some blades out of my vintage travel case last week flying to San Diego, and got through security OK. Not something I would want to do on purpose, though.

Top Bottom