What's new

Carry-on Air Travel. A DE solution??

While I agree, this is difficult to do. Quality soaps/creams are difficult enough to find, let alone find in travel sizes (which would only further the costs as well). My only suggestion for this is to buy the small reusable plastic travel containers that are under the TSA's fluid ounce rule. Filling these with shaving cream can be difficult though. For all the hassle, it's probably worth it to just buy a cartridge razor and travel size bottle of Barbasol. If you travel often however, you may be SOL. Hard soaps though would probably pass the TSA check though.

This sounds like an argument for a decent quality but low viscosity cream like Kiss My Face. It would be fairly easy to pump into a travel bottle, and decant from same.

Cartridge or disposable is the easiest for carry on, with skill and patience you should be able to coax out a few good shaves while on the road.

I have had no problem finding quality travel-size soaps. Sticks like Palmolive, La Toja, Harris Arlington mean I often have trouble picking just one to pack.

The cockpits are reinforced and locked. Its highly doubtful an individual will gain entrance to the cockpit utilizing a de blade to chop the door down.
As for holding hostages with a de blade, there are a million other benign looking objects that can do far more damage. So what's the point of the ban.
Allow passengers to check a small personal hygiene bag. A small one that will be opened and searched, which can contain only select approved items. Than store them near the doors and return them as passengers exit the plane.
Its simple, cost effective, and can help alleviate the discomfort of air travel.
Its ridiculous that passengers are treated like criminals and are forced to shave with electrics or disposals.
50 years ago, if they tried this nonsense the airports would be empty, with the possible exception of international flights.
BE CAREFUL! I said pretty much the same thing on the forum and few weeks ago when there were worries about taking an alum block and folks jumped all over me telling me to buck up, don't fly if you don't like it, that the issue is not rights and freedom but shaving, etc. I agree with you!

This sounds like an argument for a decent quality but low viscosity cream like Kiss My Face. It would be fairly easy to pump into a travel bottle, and decant from same.

I picked up a small (1.7 oz.) tube of C.O. Bigelow from Bath & Body Works just for travel.

While I agree, this is difficult to do. Quality soaps/creams are difficult enough to find, let alone find in travel sizes (which would only further the costs as well).

Really? I have a drawer full of them, and no matter how much I use it seems to get fuller, not emptier!

Seriously, grab whatever soap and brush you have lying around, or scoop some cream into a small tupperware from the kitchen and you're good to go.
"Quality soap/cream" doesn't have to be expensive, I'd put VDH and Proraso in that category, you can get those for under $5.

Really? I have a drawer full of them, and no matter how much I use it seems to get fuller, not emptier!

Seriously, grab whatever soap and brush you have lying around, or scoop some cream into a small tupperware from the kitchen and you're good to go.
"Quality soap/cream" doesn't have to be expensive, I'd put VDH and Proraso in that category, you can get those for under $5.

I really haven't come across any travel size containers yet, but then again I usually don't buy from the internet. And the ones I have seen are prohibitively expensive. That's just my experience however.

I have a feeling that if we could just get a couple more outraged comments about what a horrible inconvenience this is, the TSA would probably read them and change their policies.

/oppositeday

I really haven't come across any travel size containers yet, but then again I usually don't buy from the internet. And the ones I have seen are prohibitively expensive. That's just my experience however.

I just bought one of these pill jars from The Container Store:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/bath/medicationStorage?productId=10024522&N=71798&Nao=20
$RoundPillBoxClear_l.jpg
I filled it with water to check that it doesn't leak, and it doesn't. I'd guess you could fit an ounce of cream in there, which would be good for a week or so.
Another option is to go to places like department stores, The Body Shop, Sephora, or Kiehl's and get samples of some of their aftershave balms. You'll get a small tub that can be reused for other balms or shaving creams.

More good stuff from The Container Store:
http://www.containerstore.com/shop?showDS=true&Ntt=bottles&submit=GO

As far as quality cream, I use T&H samplers. You can buy the sample pack which comes with balms. If you do a lot of traveling they also offer packs of 100 for $69 - B&B discount.

Check here.

Good suggestions here. I personally skip the DE and pack a Bump Guard razor (w/ Trac II carts) along with travel containers filled with a brushless cream and aftershave.

The cockpits are reinforced and locked. Its highly doubtful an individual will gain entrance to the cockpit utilizing a de blade to chop the door down.
As for holding hostages with a de blade, there are a million other benign looking objects that can do far more damage. So what's the point of the ban.
Allow passengers to check a small personal hygiene bag. A small one that will be opened and searched, which can contain only select approved items. Than store them near the doors and return them as passengers exit the plane.
Its simple, cost effective, and can help alleviate the discomfort of air travel.
Its ridiculous that passengers are treated like criminals and are forced to shave with electrics or disposals.
50 years ago, if they tried this nonsense the airports would be empty, with the possible exception of international flights.
"Like it or not, we live within the law, and contrary discussion is cautionary."

Having said that, the TSA is utterly useless. There have been criticisms from the GAO and a former member of the FBI's HRT, apart from other more libertarian groups. There are NO recorded examples of "interdiction of hostiles" by TSA. TSA is about control. For anyone that took a high school trip to the USSR, back in the day, the phrase, "Produce your papers...", comes immediately to mind.

In any event, don't carry sharpsies on the planesies.:rolleyes5

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Unfortunately, the discussion isn't about the relative intelligence of the law as it stands, or whether a razor blade is an effective weapon or not, or that we are allowed to carry on items that could potentially cause more harm.

Carrying certain items on board an aircraft is forbidden and that's all there is to it for the purposes of this discussion.

One may start a political action group, vote for people who support their point of view, write their representatives, protest lawfully or any other of the many things that might drive toward changing the law.

But until it IS changed, this question will come up, and the answer will still be "Don't bring razor blades on an aircraft".

Top Bottom