What's new

Carolina Reapers

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Any tricks to sprout the seeds,? Always struggle getting superhot chilies to germinate.
I'm far from any kind of expert. I started out just by tossing some seeds in several pots with potting soil and the next thing I knew I had plants. I believe my original seeds came from a friend's crop in Springfield, MO. I keep them indoors most of the time near my front windows where they get adequate light, but they do get a couple hours of outdoor sun during the warmer months. I've been doing this for several years now and haven't had any issues. I use basic Miracle-Gro all purpose plant food. One year some of my plants got attacked by white flies, but a solution of water and dishwashing liquid solved that problem. Neem oil works great as well. Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you, sir.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've always started seeds in a wet folded tissue on a plate on a window sill. Put the seeds on the tissue, fold it over and dribble a bit of water on it, keep it wet. Check every day until they sprout then I moved them to egg crates and left them on the window sill in the sun until they started to grow and when they did, at about 2" - 4" high, buried the entire egg crate.

My mother's spice cabinet was non-existent. Salt and pepper... and "seasoning salt" were pretty much it. I didn't encounter spicy hot foods until I lived in Indonesia for a couple years after HS. I grew to love them.

Being back in Bali is sort of full circle for me.... the spices here are amazing... not just hot but oh so flavorful.

I once decided to obtain and eat 1/4 of a reaper. It was very tasty for a second or two before I entered another dimension of intoxicated pain.

I like hot food, but that was just too much. Once I've done more zen practice I'll go again to test my mental strength, but it has little value as food. I recently got a 70% reaper sauce. The main issue as I see it is that the amount relevant to a human dish is so small that it only imparts heat, and no flavor...

Eric_75

I once decided to obtain and eat 1/4 of a reaper. It was very tasty for a second or two before I entered another dimension of intoxicated pain.

I like hot food, but that was just too much. Once I've done more zen practice I'll go again to test my mental strength, but it has little value as food. I recently got a 70% reaper sauce. The main issue as I see it is that the amount relevant to a human dish is so small that it only imparts heat, and no flavor...
I enjoy both the heat and the flavor of Carolina Reapers. I can balance the heat accordingly depending on the situation.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Recently got a jar of the CR puree ... fun to experiment with and tastes great.

Lil bit added to mayo, for example, as a fry dip ... purely fire hot but really tasty.

AA

Eric_75

Recently got a jar of the CR puree ... fun to experiment with and tastes great.

Lil bit added to mayo, for example, as a fry dip ... purely fire hot but really tasty.

AA
Yes, sir! That's doing it right. My GF has done that with mayo and added it to BLTs. Yum!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yes, sir! That's doing it right. My GF has done that with mayo and added it to BLTs. Yum!

People tend to view peppers through the lens of heat alone. It's the taste that matters, and they are separate things.

CR has a unique and very good taste - but it must be watered down, at least for me.

Hottest I can just fry and eat are the Datil peppers - and they taste uniquely great. Borderline too hot (Habanero-level).

CRs exceed that, but with the jar of puree, are worth finding a tolerable level of heat because of the really notable flavor.

I've added the CR paste to BBQ sauce, too. Got lost a bit there though.

AA

Eric_75

People tend to view peppers through the lens of heat alone. It's the taste that matters, and they are separate things.

CR has a unique and very good taste - but it must be watered down, at least for me.

Hottest I can just fry and eat are the Datil peppers - and they taste uniquely great. Borderline too hot (Habanero-level).

CRs exceed that, but with the jar of puree, are worth finding a tolerable level of heat because of the really notable flavor.

I've added the CR paste to BBQ sauce, too. Got lost a bit there though.

AA
Spot on, friend. May I ask what brand of Reaper puree you got? Or is it homemade?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Just as a shot in the dark to see what it was like, I picked up a small bottle of Ghost Pepper sauce the other day and tried one tiny drop. Like 1/3 of a drop from the small dropper opening on the bottle just on the tip of a finger and onto my tongue. Flavour? Flavour? I suppose it has a sort of flavour. To me, if I could imagine the taste of pain, that would be it. I never knew pain had a flavour. I didnt taste any depth nor did I taste anything that related to a flavour at all. Just heat and pain. I was reaching for the milk after about 10 seconds, not that it helped a lot, and my forehead was sweating soon after. I'll be giving it to that friend of mine and he'll likely shake it right into his mouth to 'taste' it when I do. I can hear him now "Oh man, that stuff is good." Or, "Thats not that hot!"

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Just as a shot in the dark to see what it was like, I picked up a small bottle of Ghost Pepper sauce the other day and tried one tiny drop. Like 1/3 of a drop from the small dropper opening on the bottle just on the tip of a finger and onto my tongue. Flavour? Flavour? I suppose it has a sort of flavour. To me, if I could imagine the taste of pain, that would be it. I never knew pain had a flavour. I didnt taste any depth nor did I taste anything that related to a flavour at all. Just heat and pain. I was reaching for the milk after about 10 seconds, not that it helped a lot, and my forehead was sweating soon after. I'll be giving it to that friend of mine and he'll likely shake it right into his mouth to 'taste' it when I do. I can hear him now "Oh man, that stuff is good." Or, "Thats not that hot!"
I love the flavor of Melinda's Naga Jolokia and Bhut Jolokia. Half a dozen drops on a fried egg followed by a little salt is wonderful.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Hmmm .... "Ghost pepper grenades."

Chili grenades[edit]​

Main article: Chili grenade
In 2009, scientists at India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) announced plans to use the peppers in hand grenades as a nonlethal method to control rioters with pepper sprays or in self-defence.[27][28] The DRDO said that ghost pepper-based aerosol sprays could be used as a "safety device", and "civil variants" of chili grenades could be used to control and disperse mobs.[29] Chili grenades made from ghost peppers were successfully used by the Indian Army in August 2015 to flush out a terrorist hiding in a cave.[30]

AA

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I love the flavor of Melinda's Naga Jolokia and Bhut Jolokia. Half a dozen drops on a fried egg followed by a little salt is wonderful.

I love Melinda's Habanero sauce.

That, is good and has an incredible depth of flavour.

Hmmm .... "Ghost pepper grenades."

Chili grenades[edit]​

Main article: Chili grenade
In 2009, scientists at India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) announced plans to use the peppers in hand grenades as a nonlethal method to control rioters with pepper sprays or in self-defence.[27][28] The DRDO said that ghost pepper-based aerosol sprays could be used as a "safety device", and "civil variants" of chili grenades could be used to control and disperse mobs.[29] Chili grenades made from ghost peppers were successfully used by the Indian Army in August 2015 to flush out a terrorist hiding in a cave.[30]

AA

I believe it!

I once made chili for a chili cookoff. I froze a habanero, then sautéed it before adding it to the chili. That killed the immediate heat. A guy was eating a bowl when suddenly he broke out in a sweat. His mouth wasn't on fire but everything else was warm.

Top Bottom