What's new

Carnitas

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Carnitas is basically pulled pork. It's cooked low and slow. I choose a crock pot for cooking.

$image.jpg
$image.jpg
$image.jpg
$image.jpg

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It is best made with homemade Manteca- save and clarify the pork fat for reuse. Think of carnitas as the poor man's duck confit.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
It is best made with homemade Manteca- save and clarify the pork fat for reuse. Think of carnitas as the poor man's duck confit.

That's right. There are numerous recipes. Traditionally in Mexico they fry large cuts of pork in huge copper pots until crispy. I chose a recipe without frying but still using popular spices, etc. for a pretty good result (better than the restaurant the other day). You can put the meat under a broiler for the added char or crispiness. MY granddad used his pressure cooker then removed and finished on a hot griddle...then into a tortilla.

I have a crock pot that is sorely neglected because of lack of slow cooker skills. Can you please post however you did this?
Thanks

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I have a crock pot that is sorely neglected because of lack of slow cooker skills. Can you please post however you did this?
Thanks

No problem. Here is one that I like:

Ingredients
2 pounds boneless pork shoulder (or 2 1/2 pounds bone-in)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, cut in quarters
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and ribs removed, chopped
1 orange, cut in half
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions
Rinse and dry the pork shoulder. Salt and pepper liberally. Mix the oregano and the cumin with olive oil and rub all over pork. Place the pork(I cut mine into big peices to fit) in a slow cooker and top with the onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Squeeze over the juice of the orange and add the two halves. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high 4 hours.

Once the meat is tender, remove from slow cooker and let cool slightly before pulling apart with a fork. In a large saute pan, heat the vegetable oil over high heat. Press the carnitas into the oil and fry until crusty on one side. Serve.

Recipes courtesy Melissa d'Arabian

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/pork-carnitas-recipe.html?oc=linkback

Country Ribs
Garlic Salt
Pepper
Cumin
Oregano
Onion
All eyeballed
8-10 hours on medium in slow cooker.
Crisp in cast iron with fat from cooking.
Fresh Tortillas from Taqueria
Fresh salsa
Respado Margaritas

That's right. There are numerous recipes. Traditionally in Mexico they fry large cuts of pork in huge copper pots until crispy. I chose a recipe without frying but still using popular spices, etc. for a pretty good result (better than the restaurant the other day). You can put the meat under a broiler for the added char or crispiness. MY granddad used his pressure cooker then removed and finished on a hot griddle...then into a tortilla.

The father of some good friends of ours does it this way. The amount of Manteca used literally would stop a bull in his tracks. Copper kettles, cleaned prior with steel wool then treated with lemons and rock salt. Seemed like it would be greasy, but I guess the oil was so hot it seared the meat ... similar to deep fried turkey.

YUM!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The father of some good friends of ours does it this way. The amount of Manteca used literally would stop a bull in his tracks. Copper kettles, cleaned prior with steel wool then treated with lemons and rock salt. Seemed like it would be greasy, but I guess the oil was so hot it seared the meat ... similar to deep fried turkey.

YUM!

I'd rather have the deep fried pork shoulder than fried turkey any day. Maybe I'll fry it up in a turkey fryer(outside) for Thanksgiving this year. The Manteca lard can be found in Mexican super market.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Looking good Dave. This recipe is so easy to make and can be left for hours while your on to other things. My orange's started to fall apart after about 4 or 5 hours on high. I then removed them.

That is right after I turned the pot on. I did 2 hours on low and now cranked it up to high for 3 more. Have about 30 minutes to go. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427315109.328947.jpg

Top Bottom