What's new

Carnitas

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436636137.054870.jpg

Double batch in the pot.

Removed the oranges and hit the rest with the immersion blender after removing the meat for shredding. Crisped the meat in the cast iron skillet with a ladle full of the sauce poured on top for extra flavor.

Carnitas is basically pulled pork. It's cooked low and slow. I choose a crock pot for cooking.

View attachment 559096
View attachment 559097
View attachment 559098
View attachment 559099

The best part of authentic carnitas are the super browned, carmelized almost-crispy pieces that you get on the outside of the meat. I think you can only get that using the old-fashioned original method - which is essentially boiling it in a large pot of lard. Probably not in keeping with modern healthful cooking techniques, but nothing else can duplicate that incredible flavor.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Alright Mike:thumbup1: You're like the 10th guy who has made this recipe since I originally posted. Can't wait to see the final product.

Now everyone needs to try making the Picadillo recipe. It didn't get as much love for some reason but extremely tasty.

Picadillo Recipe - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/453518-Picadillo-Recipe

View attachment 581391

Good Taco
View attachment 581392
Glad I decided to re-read the entire thread. Now the picadillo thread is bookmarked, too. Will be starting carnitas soon- might just start it tomorrow morning.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Top Bottom