What's new

Carnitas

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
With the price of beef going through the roof, it seems pork is becoming a great option.

It is a sad state of affairs. High Fructose Corn Syrup and ethanol are driving corn prices through the roof. I wonder how long it will be before grass fed is cheaper than corn fed.

Great thread. I've tried a trick from an ATK recipe that seems to work well- take the liquid from the slow cooker and reduce in a skillet or dutch oven until a spatula leaves a trail. Mix the resulting thickened goodness with your pulled/chunked pork and broil or pan fry.

This adds a ton of flavor.

Great thread. I've tried a trick from an ATK recipe that seems to work well- take the liquid from the slow cooker and reduce in a skillet or dutch oven until a spatula leaves a trail. Mix the resulting thickened goodness with your pulled/chunked pork and broil or pan fry.

This adds a ton of flavor.
I'm going to try this, thanks for posting! I always feel like I'm wasting all the liquid when I do these, figured it would be good for something. Thought about shredding all the meat and putting it back in the pot (sans boiled onions etc) but thought it might make it too greasy. Reducing it sounds like a good idea.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
A little bit late to the party but mine are in the pot.
double batch. Bone in and cut into two pieces.

All rubbed up.

$20150620_060856.jpg

cooking time.

$20150620_062644.jpg

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Wife made carnitas last night for our anniversary. The only thing missing was cilantro, but they were delicious.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Holy Crock Pot Batman!!! Chris is cookin' carnitas. :thumbup1:

.....so what brought this on?

I picked up some pork with the intention of making a Pork Vindaloo. Then I remembered the Carnitas.
My thoughts went something like this. Vindaloo yeah that's it........nah carnitas..........no no vindaloo..........but you have not made the carnitas yet. Sorry Vindaloo you will have to wait, Carnitas it is and here we are........

While all this hard decision making went on I got a urge for some Texas Red. That will have to wait as well.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I picked up some pork with the intention of making a Pork Vindaloo. Then I remembered the Carnitas.
My thoughts went something like this. Vindaloo yeah that's it........nah carnitas..........no no vindaloo..........but you have not made the carnitas yet. Sorry Vindaloo you will have to wait, Carnitas it is and here we are........

While all this hard decision making went on I got a urge for some Texas Red. That will have to wait as well.

Winter is in your lap. So now it's all the good stuff. Chili, stews.

Are you going to put them inside a tortilla? Fresh cilantro? Hot sauce (um...what was I thinking)?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I bet you are trying to remove everything from the crock pot so you can salvage something for a vindaloo after reading that new post?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I bet you are trying to remove everything from the crock pot so you can salvage something for a vindaloo after reading that new post?

Nah I'm thinking of heading out to get another shoulder to make a Vindaloo. Plus it's starting to smell nice.

A Vindaloo gets better with age so could be a good pre made mid week meal.
Then again I could make a Lamb Vindaloo, Beef Vindaloo for a change of pace or even a prawn Vindaloo. It's all good.

Now that I think about it the photos of the BBQ pulled pork you posted the other day may have got me thinking of Carnitas.
It's the shortest day here tomorrow, winter and raining. BBQ is not on the menu so the crock pot gets some action.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped

I have started a Vindaloo...............did I pull the pork out of the pot and trim it up for the Vindaloo or did I buy more pork and go B&B style..........cook both.

First marinade started, just wine vinegar and salt. This will sit for three hour before the second marinade.
to be continued in the Vindaloo thread

$20150620_122610.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
OK I cooked both. The Carnita is cooked but now I'm not hungry. It taste very nice.
finished photos to follow

$20150620_154016.jpg

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Winter is in your lap. So now it's all the good stuff. Chili, stews.

Are you going to put them inside a tortilla? Fresh cilantro? Hot sauce (um...what was I thinking)?

Yip, yip and oh yeah that's a given.
They browned up on one side like a champ.
On the left with chopped tomato, cheese and Culley's Reaper Chipotle. On the right with guacamole, coriander ( aka cilantro) and some lime juice.
Both very nice. I had to try it with the guacamole as in your first post. I'm glad I did it was a nice pairing.
Wash down with a German Wheat Beer. Life is good.........

Thanks for the recipe Aaron another great thread.

$20150620_172151.jpg

Top Bottom