What's new

Carne Guisada Recipe

Mmmm this recipe looks tasty! I have a good sized venison roast in the freezer that is going to become a late dinner tonight. With the extra masa from the amazing Texas Red I made the other day thanks to Aaron, I think I might try my hand at some homemade tortillas to go with it. Oh, the Texas Red is all gone by the way. The flavor really was intensely delicious. It didn't last more than two days even with me trying to freeze some to keep. Turned out I have all of the ingredients on hand already. I'll post pictures after I get everything simmering.

Thanks again Aaron for posting all of your amazing recipes!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thank you for the kind words. I've learned a lot from the "much better chef's" here in the Mess hall. I'm glad you liked the Texas Red chili. Share it with the guys and family. As for the carne guisada, are you wanting to use your venison roast in the recipe? I don't see why not. Cook down time may be longer due to the lean nature of venison. If that is what you are thinking then go for it.

ChiTownShaver, add your first name to your signature and your city in profile settings so we may get to know you.

Oh, and if you didn't already know (a common saying among us B&Bers)........ "pictures are it didn't happen".

Thanks. Pictures after it comes out of the oven. The deer this roast came from was an extremely tender button buck so I expect its gonna cook down fairly quickly. Gotta love the good eaters! The only other change I made to the recipe was to use bacon fat instead of vegetable oil. Bacon makes everything better!

:blush: I'll update my profile in a few minutes. My name is Mike and I'm living in Chicago (As if my username didn't give that away...) and was born in Detroit. Harvested this deer just north of Detroit too actually.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Mike,

Bacon is always good, and I've used it in this recipe before. What are you using for tortillas? If it's corns toast them lightly and double up. If its flour toast more. This is so they won't fall apart from the gravy.

Thanks for the heads up on the tortillas. I have flour from a local tortilla factory that are amazing and am planning to make some corn as well just before its finished simmering in the oven. The house smells amazing right now!

Beef is steep right now.....pork....not so much. I've been grinding pork butt and making many more pork recipes as of late.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Beef is steep right now.....pork....not so much. I've been grinding pork butt and making many more pork recipes as of late.

Pork shoulder would work great in this recipe. It probably would not need as much cook down time either. I may have to try that...great idea.

The Carne Guisada was amazing! Thank you again for the recipe. It was juicy and the meat was just barely falling apart. We had them with some toasted flour tortillas, fresh lime juice and some vinegary hot sauce. If I didn't know it wasn't beef I wouldn't have been able to tell. Definitely gonna be making this one again! Thankfully I have more venison roasts in the freezer. If this keeps up I may run out of venison this year long before deer season! :w00t:

Next up to try the carnitas recipe this weekend I think and hopefully go three for three.

$IMG_2701.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Bought a pork shoulder yesterday, and didn't know that the wife put it in the freezer. I will be thawing it out tonight.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The Carne Guisada was amazing! Thank you again for the recipe. It was juicy and the meat was just barely falling apart. We had them with some toasted flour tortillas, fresh lime juice and some vinegary hot sauce. If I didn't know it wasn't beef I wouldn't have been able to tell. Definitely gonna be making this one again! Thankfully I have more venison roasts in the freezer. If this keeps up I may run out of venison this year long before deer season! :w00t:

Next up to try the carnitas recipe this weekend I think and hopefully go three for three.

Looks real good Mike. So the meat was not tough?

Bought a pork shoulder yesterday, and didn't know that the wife put it in the freezer. I will be thawing it out tonight.

Owen, I think a pork shoulder would be great. Cut into 3/4 to 1 inch pieces. Don't over cook or the cubes will just fall completely apart into pulled pork. You want to maintain those chunky cubes, but tender.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Looks real good Mike. So the meat was not tough?

Owen, I think a pork shoulder would be great. Cut into 3/4 to 1 inch pieces. Don't over cook or the cubes will just fall completely apart into pulled pork. You want to maintain those chunky cubes, but tender.

Pictures or it didn't happen.
I just saw yours calls for beef. Every time I have had it it was pork.

The venison was from a yearling buck so it was very tender to begin with. I didn't even use a knife to separate the muscles so I could remove the silverskin. After simmering for four hours it was falling apart. Definitely one of the best ways to cook up a roast that I've tried yet.

Top Bottom