What's new

Carne Guisada Recipe

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
For what ever reason my carne guisada recipe thread disappeared. Anyway, here's my carne guisada recipe. It is basically a beef stew but without the veggies. It has a lot of the same ingredients as chili, but not the same tasting. Its easy to make and maybe eaten inside a toasted tortilla or over rice or potatoes. Enjoy.

Carne Guisada

Ingredients
2 pounds of beef shoulder chuck or Tri-tip or sirloin.
1 Tablespoon of cumin
1/2 Tablespoon of Mexican oregano
1/2 teaspoon of your favorite chili powder(optional)
1 large onion finely diced
3 to 4 large cloves of finely diced garlic
1 small red bell pepper finely diced
1 heaping tablespoon of tomato paste
1 small can of tomato sauce
1/4 cup of flour
Vegetable oil
Ceramic coated Dutch oven
Cilantro
Salsa
Flour tortilla
Salt & Pepper
2 cans of Chicken or beef broth

Method

1. Pre-heat oven to 300-325 degrees.
2. Cube meat to 3/4".
3. Heat your Dutch oven on stove to very hot. Put in 1-2 tablespoon of oil. Place meat in and don't crowd...sizzling should be heard. This may take 2 to 3 batches.
4. DONT RUSH. DONT STIR AROUND. Let the meat get completely browned on one side then flip over to brown all sides.
5. Remove all meat and place aside in a bowl. Add 1-2 tablespoons of oil back in pot.
6. Throw in onion, pinch of salt and bell pepper. Put in the garlic after the onions and bell peppers are almost soft.
7. Be sure to scrap off all the brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pot (fond). It’s where the flavor is. Cook down for 8-10 minutes.
8. When completely softened, add tomato paste and cook till dissolved.
9. Add flour. Stir around till the white of the flour is gone. It should look like a red ball of pasty mess.
10. Add cumin and pinch of chili powder till toasted (blooms).
11. Add tomato sauce, oregano, 2 -cans of chicken or beef broth. Adjust the amount of broth as needed.
12. Place all meat in the pot. Liquids should just about cover the meat. I always like to see some poking up. Bring to a boil.
13. Turn off stove and transfer covered Dutch oven to the oven. Cook low and slow for 3 to 5 hours or until you can't stand it anymore and the meat is very tender.

Notes

Check for thickness every hour. If it is not as thick as you like, make a slurry of corn starch and water and put it in while cooking. Or, take the lid off and cook until reduced.

Presentation

Serve on a TOASTED(toasting keeps it from falling apart) flour tortilla
Add a handful of cilantro, your favorite salsa and a squeeze of lime.
NO, NO's are cheese and sour cream. Enjoy!

Aaron

$IMG_0787.jpg$IMG_0788.jpg

I made this tonight. Served with fresh homemade salsa and corn chips.

Last edited:
Guisada is one of my favorites. I have adapted it for the slow cooker so it can be ready for dinner after work. Posole is another slow-cooked favorite around our house.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Guisada is one of my favorites. I have adapted it for the slow cooker so it can be ready for dinner after work. Posole is another slow-cooked favorite around our house.

You'll need to start a new thread on "Posole." I've never had it but it looks good after a Google search.

My next "stew" for lack of a better term is Picadillo.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You should make carnitas next.

The official rules for wine pairing:

Pair good food with great wine.
Pair great food with good wine.

You could also pair it with this Latour.

Attachments

• $img_0003a.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I had carnitas a few months ago at a local Mexican food place. It wasn't very good...a little dry with no flavor. I could make it a lot better.

Actually the prices on 1986's aren't bad. I would pair it with a nice cut of Chateaubriand.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I had carnitas a few months ago at a local Mexican food place. It wasn't very good...a little dry with no flavor. I could make it a lot better.

Actually the prices on 1986's aren't bad. I would pair it with a nice cut of Chateaubriand.

You mean that Mad Dog isn't the pinnacle of wine making? :biggrin:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Ah yes. Half champagne, half Ripple. Growing up I wanted to make this magic elixir, but had forgotten about it when I became legal age.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Tejano music is not my favorite...to much oompa (German Influence) accordion and not enough of this:

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be making the Guisada tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe. Los Lonely Boys are killer BTW. You might like Tejano music better if you had a rock tuba player in your house like I do. ���� My kid is a tubist, and over the years I have been both treated and subjected to every kind of music he can carry the baseline to..

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I will be making the Guisada tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe. Los Lonely Boys are killer BTW. You might like Tejano music better if you had a rock tuba player in your house like I do. ���� My kid is a tubist, and over the years I have been both treated and subjected to every kind of music he can carry the baseline to..

Rock tuba is is something I've never [heard] before....lol. As for making the Guisada....that's awesome. Please take the time and snap a few pictures with a review.

Last edited:
Top Bottom