What's new

Caring for threads of razor

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I don't remember reading about thread maintenance from any stainless razor manufacturer. I don't do anything beyond cleaning, but a little oil/grease doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Not sure if this will be of help. But when I was reading up on the Karve stainless steel razor that I am planning on getting when the shop I am getting it from has stock. The care paperwork for that razor mentioned about using a drop of oil on the threads. But they made a point of mentioning that they (Karve) use petroleum jelly. The thing with some oils is, it is not good for the skin. Whereas petroleum jelly is fine.

So petroleum jelly is what I will use on the threads of the Karve (when I get one) and also the threads on my other three piece razors.

Hope this helps :)
This is a great suggestion, thanks!
I was using mineral oil, but this is even better as mineral oil can be a little messy if you over do it.

Here's what I do. When tightening, I start by turning the handle the "wrong" way, ie, counter-clockwise. I keep turning until I hear or feel a "click". That tells me that the threads of the head and the handle are properly lined up. I then tighten the handle. This method prevents cross-threading.

Exactly what I do with all screws.

I really do nothing. I usually only use my razors for a week and then change to another one. If I was going to use one razor for the rest of my life I may do something like a few drops of oil to help the threads but really I think that they were made for minimal maintenance and we are constantly overthinking things these days.

+1

Vintage razors were usually made from brass, which is naturally lubricated. (it's frequently used for sleeve bearings)

With zamak razors, damaged threads are the least of your problems. You're far more likely to drop it, or if you're new, to overtighten and damage the post that way.

With steel razors, ok, a tiny amount of lubricant can't hurt.

I usually use nothing, but now and then a wee smear of food grade silicon grease (because I have a tube of it!).
Used the odd drop of mineral oil before I bought the grease (the grease is to lubricate some bits on my alcohol still...and a still is legal to own/operate in NZ).

My organic solution is olive oil. After removing the blade from any of my 3 piece razors (usually after 3 shaves), I wash the razor parts thoroughly and let them dry the rest of the day. Then I place a few drops of olive oil on the threads. If I'm using the razor with a new blade, I leave the razor disassembled. If not, I assemble the razor and put it back in its stand with my other guys.
This is probably not a very good idea. Olive oil spoils, and it doesn't actually have a particularly long shelf life. A small drop like that maximizes surface area, which speeds spoilage. Might only take a month or slightly longer before it spoils.

I put a drop of sewing machine oil (just a light mineral oil) in the bore hole of my handles. Maybe once every two weeks. Not sure if it's strictly necessary, but seems like good preventive maintenance.

Here's what I do. When tightening, I start by turning the handle the "wrong" way, ie, counter-clockwise. I keep turning until I hear or feel a "click". That tells me that the threads of the head and the handle are properly lined up. I then tighten the handle. This method prevents cross-threading.
That was one of the tips that my high school shop teacher taught us. He said to turn a screw or bolt in the opposite direction of its handedness (i.e. left for right-handed screws, right for reverse-threaded screws) until you can feel it physically drop down a minute amount. That ensures that the threads are aligned.

Most of what he taught is engrained in my brain to this day. So, whenever I tighten a screw, that tip just kicks in automatically.

This is probably not a very good idea. Olive oil spoils, and it doesn't actually have a particularly long shelf life. A small drop like that maximizes surface area, which speeds spoilage. Might only take a month or slightly longer before it spoils.
Thanks for the tip about olive oil. My bottle of cheapo olive oil is fairly old, so I'm trashing it. I'm now thinking about vegetable oil from the kitchen which we use quickly and would not be spoiled.

I got a bottle of mineral oil that I use for my knives. For my razors, I just disassemble, dry and add one drop to the threads. Re-assemble and leave them loose.

Oil/vaseline/etc. attract dust and dirt and form an abrasive waterproof sludge unless it is cleaned off/reapplied often. Imo the best way to keep threads from wearing out or seizing up is to keep them clean and dry.

Another option would be to use a dry lubricant- Graphite.
Application is simple and cheap. Run a pencil up and down the threads a few times and you're done.

My 100 year old single ring still screws together fine and I doubt anyone before me did anything but rinse it, shake it off and lay it down to dry

Top Bottom